Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 19663 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #90
I reckon Kreuser may miss and probably Kerr will come in.

Kerr has shown more than Harry so far.

Harry is developing slowly and is a long term prospect.
He'll make the grade, but may need another season yet`.

I don't mind the look of the side at all. Lochie was rested last week and Paddy needs a spell. Good move.
Marchbank has been training well apparently and will be better than Mullet.  
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #91
Interesting for me will be to see Phillips against Martin.

Phillips should have him covered for reach and leap, Martin will be very physical so lets see how Phillips deals with that because it hasn't been one of his strengths!

Phillips physicality is fine.  His problem is he isn't fit enough due to his injuries and isn't as much value around the ground as Kreuzer but he's better value in the ruck.

The ruck role is becoming a headache (thankfully).  Kreuzer's injuries are going to cost him.  I look at him and I see Josh Fraser Mach two.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #92
Phillips physicality is fine.  His problem is he isn't fit enough due to his injuries and isn't as much value around the ground as Kreuzer but he's better value in the ruck.

The ruck role is becoming a headache (thankfully).  Kreuzer's injuries are going to cost him.  I look at him and I see Josh Fraser Mach two.

Phillips is not "physically" aggressive like Martin, not even close! Phillips will wrestle, but in the past he'd take a back step if someone starts jumping into him like Mumford or Martin do! It's fair enough, Phillips has been on the end of a lot of injuries, but he's got time he's still 2 or 3 years away from being at his peak.

This time next season will be a good tell for a fit Phillips.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
Not this season LP.  He brought physicality from the get go this year.  He's in because we are worried that Kreuzer's broken again.  For a player who's been at the club since 2008 he's broken down more times than he's won us games and there's no point using a Casboult, or Rowe or Jones against a ruckman who would be in all Australian conversation in a better team.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #94
Not this season LP.  He brought physicality from the get go this year.  He's in because we are worried that Kreuzer's broken again.  For a player who's been at the club since 2008 he's broken down more times than he's won us games and there's no point using a Casboult, or Rowe or Jones against a ruckman who would be in all Australian conversation in a better team.

I agree Thry he been better.

But he's yet to come up against an physically aggressive opponent.

He's done well against the high jumpers, Nic Nat and Ryder, wasn't so good against Jacobs who is more of a wrestler and played against a child in English. That's his season, so I'm not sure you can call him as up for the fight from that lot, but he has improved no doubt!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #95

I don't mind the look of the side at all. Lochie was rested last week and Paddy needs a spell. Good move.

In a nutshell. Yep, sums it up nicely.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #96

If we're still worried about Kreuzer then don't play him. Two ruckmen have failed us every time. I'm happy to let McKay, Levi, Jones, ruck for a little bit. Tapouts aren't that important, you can still win clearances to a losing ruck. We and others regularly do it. I'd prefer players that can hit the scoreboard than one that might win a few extra tapouts. Far more important. Not as if we can't afford to play players who can hit the scoreboard. Levi needed to be dropped tom play McKay or Kerr. We have 1000 tall defenders so Jones could've relieved ruck.

Reply #97

Yes, Kerr might've have shown more but McKay has hit the scoreboard alot more.

Correct statement just not sure how one reconciles it...lol.

Reply #99
If we could combine Kerr's work ethic and sacrificial efforts with McKay's physical attributes and goal scoring we'd be on a winner.

In Kerr's second game I watched him make unrewarded lead after lead as if we had some stupid upfield decision making or game plan, it's like we didn't trust him to make mark the ball or kick the goal. We were playing Geelong and I made the comment to a mate that Kerr obviously had the Brownless decoy forward role for this week! Kerr would lead up to the ball carrier, and we'd kick over his head to someone like Wright, SPS or Lamb in the pocket surrounded by three Geelong defenders.

But we've been doing this for years, it's bullsh1t football!

Kick the ball to the lead-up forward , and tell the smalls to get off the cheap goal drip-feed and get out front and square, you don't have to be Einstein!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
http://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Compare?playerIds=CD_I998116,CD_I1000953&comparisonTab=h2h

Two very different types of forwards. One's the typical FF, good and quick on the lead, the other is more likely to try to take a mark as well as being capable kick goals running type goals. Mckay is likely to take Levi's role. We have plenty of variety with our KP forwards.

Good to see Mckay is above average in tackles.

Reply #101
If we could combine Kerr's work ethic and sacrificial efforts with McKay's physical attributes and goal scoring we'd be on a winner.

In Kerr's second game I watched him make unrewarded lead after lead as if we had some stupid upfield decision making or game plan, it's like we didn't trust him to make the ball or kick the goal. We were playing Geelong and I made the comment to a mate that Kerr obviously had the Brownless decoy forward role for this week! Kerr would lead up to the ball carrier, and we'd kick over his head to someone like Wright, SPS or Lamb in the pocket surrounded by three Geelong defenders.

But we've been doing this for years, it's bullsh1t football!

Kick the ball to the lead-up forward , and tell the smalls to get off the cheap goal drip-feed and get out front and square, you don't have to be Einstein!

Yep, this so true sadly.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #103
The AFL media is pumping up Charlie the Lion killer.

Obviously they want Hodge to surgically remove a kidney!

Personally I hope Kerr gets a run and Hodge tries to fill his space!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #104
Phillips is not "physically" aggressive like Martin, not even close! Phillips will wrestle, but in the past he'd take a back step if someone starts jumping into him like Mumford or Martin do! It's fair enough, Phillips has been on the end of a lot of injuries, but he's got time he's still 2 or 3 years away from being at his peak.

This time next season will be a good tell for a fit Phillips.

Taking a backwards step in the ruck is not a sign of weakness its a tactic. Every ruckman who can do it, does so, when the opportunity arises.

Ruckman jump early to essentially 'ground' opposition ruckmen. If they go too early, step back, let them go up...and down, and while they are on the way down reach up and get the tap. Kreuzer does it too.

Phillips isn't as physical as Mumford was, but nobody was.
Phillips has actually got a bit of agro about him. Must be the hair. I'm more than happy with what he offers. If he could get some continuity at AFL level, he'd surprise many on here, and in the AFL.