Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 19662 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #105
Phillips, if fit,  would be in my 22 each week.   But I'd play K different  to how we play him.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #106
I like it.
- I reckon IF Kreuzer plays, he'll play fwd alot and Phillips will have a crack at Martin. All Flip needs to do is break even with Martin (like he did vs Ryder). Mackay or Kerr will come in if Kreuzer doesnt get up.
- Dow needs a rest.
- Levi was bad last week, whether it was form or a sore hand, either way the omission is good.
- Mullet and Garlett omissions fair enough.
- Marchy straight in, I guess thats how highly he is rated internally and quite frankly, I happy to see him back. If he doesnt come up, Kerr may come in.

Hard to argue - so I won't.

I would like to see Kreuzer spend a little time as a non-rucking midfielder

Reply #107
Hard to argue - so I won't.

I would like to see Kreuzer spend a little time as a non-rucking midfielder

Why would you play Kreuzer as a midfielder when you can play a midfielder there. He's a ruckman who's good around the ground, not a running mid. It's the the stupid idea of playing two ruckman. Other than failing us most times, it effects both player's game. A ruck is going to be forward near the entire game when neither are any good at it. Why play a ruck up forward when you are play a forward who hit's the scoreboard. Levi needed to be dropped (for McKay) but he kicked 34 goals last year. Kreuzer and Phillips wouldn't get half of that combined. To win game you need a properly balanced side playing their roles and to their strengths. We play our's to our weaknesses. Two rucks and 4 tall defenders, just Charlie as our key forward. What actually goes on at Match Committee level.

Reply #108
Why would you play Kreuzer as a midfielder when you can play a midfielder there. He's a ruckman who's good around the ground, not a running mid. It's the the stupid idea of playing two ruckman. Other than failing us most times, it effects both player's game. A ruck is going to be forward near the entire game when neither are any good at it. Why play a ruck up forward when you are play a forward who hit's the scoreboard. Levi needed to be dropped (for McKay) but he kicked 34 goals last year. Kreuzer and Phillips wouldn't get half of that combined. To win game you need a properly balanced side playing their roles and to their strengths. We play our's to our weaknesses. Two rucks and 4 tall defenders, just Charlie as our key forward. What actually goes on at Match Committee level.
we are not full of fit midfielders at the moment.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #109

We have been playing one ruck most of the year and how is that working out for us?

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #110
Hard to argue with that MBB. Send Jed Lamb to Hodge to antagonise and goad him. Pinch, punch and niggle til he snaps. Curnow to Beams, Cripps to smash Zorko at every ball up, Murph to play a game in the guts instead of HB. Need Samo to rediscover some of his first year spark.

I actually don't mind the team we've selected, may have put McKay in for Silvagni and possibly Lang in for Polson but hey, can't make too many changes can you?

Reply #111

I'm hearing you re match committee, been saying it all year.

Agree about Kreuzer being played as a mid too.

However to suggest that 2 rucks is plain stupid needs to be taken with a grain of salt when the alternative is playing a bloke at FF who can't kick straight. What is more stupid??
Or..
Playing a kid at FF who doesn't know how to get the ball and/or use his size to his advantage. Yes, almost, 2 goals a game is good, but lets not forget how many cheap goals are included in that.

Of course there is always the possibility that he (along with Kerr) are not fully fit.
Not to mention that perhaps we are trying to compare apples with apples in the ruck to see what are long term future with Phillips could be.

This is, yet another, development year.

Reply #112
Since our season was over (officially after rd 4) Phillips and McKay should have been played.

Why are they held to higher standards than Weitering or Silvagni who have to play about 4 shockers in a row to get dropped?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #113
Since our season was over (officially after rd 4) Phillips and McKay should have been played.

Why are they held to higher standards than Weitering or Silvagni who have to play about 4 shockers in a row to get dropped?

Totally agree re. McKay. Mystery that one.

Phillip's... we can't play 2 rucks. You're effectively starting the game 1 player down as both players can only play the one role so end up sharing it and bring a liability when resting elsewhere. Kreuzers form drops whenever a 2nd ruck comes in.

Reply #114
Phillip's... we can't play 2 rucks. You're effectively starting the game 1 player down as both players can only play the one role so end up sharing it and bring a liability when resting elsewhere. Kreuzers form drops whenever a 2nd ruck comes in.

Some averages from this year.

Hitouts
Phillips - 34/game
Kreuzer - 24
Casboult - 8
McKay - 1

Possessions

Kreuzer - 14/game
Casboult - 9
Phillips - 8
McKay - 8

Goals

McKay - 2/game
Casboult - 1.3
Phillips - 0.75
Kruezer - 0.5

What does it all mean?
1. Phillips is better in the hitouts than Kreuzer and should take most of the rucking contests.
2. Kreuzer gets more of the ball and should play as a roaming ruck.
3. Despite Phillips playing as the #1 ruck he only scores 0.6 goals a game less than the (largely stay at home) forward Casboult, so should rest down there
4. Phillips conversion rate over his career is 77% compared to Casboults 57% (which doesn't include copious amounts of OOB shots)
5. McKay offers basically nothing as a backup ruck option or around the ground.

Overall i think Kreuzer is running at 80% and McKay can't play backup ruck. Phillips is a much better ruck than casboult and given more time up forward could match his output there as well. As stated he is a mere 0.6 goals a game behind casboult this season, despite playing a small % up forward in comparison.

You say we are 1 player down playing 2 rucks.
I'm saying we are 1 player down playing an undperforming casboult already.

Reply #115
Some averages from this year.

Hitouts
Phillips - 34/game
Kreuzer - 24
Casboult - 8
McKay - 1

Possessions

Kreuzer - 14/game
Casboult - 9
Phillips - 8
McKay - 8

Goals

McKay - 2/game
Casboult - 1.3
Phillips - 0.75
Kruezer - 0.5

What does it all mean?
1. Phillips is better in the hitouts than Kreuzer and should take most of the rucking contests.
2. Kreuzer gets more of the ball and should play as a roaming ruck.
3. Despite Phillips playing as the #1 ruck he only scores 0.6 goals a game less than the (largely stay at home) forward Casboult, so should rest down there
4. Phillips conversion rate over his career is 77% compared to Casboults 57% (which doesn't include copious amounts of OOB shots)
5. McKay offers basically nothing as a backup ruck option or around the ground.

Overall i think Kreuzer is running at 80% and McKay can't play backup ruck. Phillips is a much better ruck than casboult and given more time up forward could match his output there as well. As stated he is a mere 0.6 goals a game behind casboult this season, despite playing a small % up forward in comparison.

You say we are 1 player down playing 2 rucks.
I'm saying we are 1 player down playing an undperforming casboult already.
I happen to agree with you. The MC doesn't often.
McKay will offer more in the ruck in time. As will Casboult when he is fit and in form. But neither of those are likely today.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #116
Rumor that Simpson a late withdrawal and Lang in.

Reply #117
We must be tanking. :)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #118

It's no rumor, confirmed Lang is a replacement.

That's what you get for playing too well and making an effort at Carlton, the kibosh! ;D

Simmo's playing well enough to go around again, not sure it's in the interest of the club that happens, but if they want him to remain they have to look after the old man! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #119
It's no rumor, confirmed Lang is a replacement.

That's what you get for playing too well and making an effort at Carlton, the kibosh! ;D

Simmo's playing well enough to go around again, not sure it's in the interest of the club that happens, but if they want him to remain they have to look after the old man! ;)

He's an old gerry and partied too hard after his 300th - can't hack the pace.  ;)