Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 45070 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #105
Problem we left him in that unfamiliar role and it affected him.

It's good for them Laj! ;)

Do you know which coach made that "Our players play in positions not on opponents" comment during the week?

Somebody please get that grab and send it to our MC!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #106
Just re Harry laughing in the crowd.

Did anyone see it?

I did. I first noticed him when someone was going for a goal, he had on his CFC polo shirt on. He seemed to be sitting with a group.

The next time I noticed him is when he was laughing. The camera went to him and to me, it looked like an older woman (his aunt? Mum?) said to him you’re on camera and he looked a bit embarrassed and laughed.

That is it.  He wasn’t laughing at the score, the play, our players - he merely looked to be laughing in embarrassment of being spotted on tv and the big screen and the people he was with pointed it out.

He’s 19. He’s allowed to laugh with his friends and family.

And fck Palmer and his stupid tweet. I don’t see him
Playing for another club now.  Nor doing anything for CFC when he was with us.

What we seem to lack is players who have a desire to compete 100% of the time.  Whose fault that is, who knows? But I’m sick of it.

Reply #107
I'd be inclined to agree. Bolton doesn't seem like a divisive, conniving type. He seems like a fairly decent, honest type, not the sort who would corrupt or derail culture. The fact that all 4 of our teams are struggling means it's a club wide issue IMO. If I was a betting man, and the club's culture is indeed rotten, I'd be looking at someone(s) more senior than him.

Should I really be hearing "The Godfather Waltz" as I read that post!

I'm not sick in the head am I, please treat me kindly and speak softly!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #108
Just re Harry laughing in the crowd.

Did anyone see it?

I did. I first noticed him when someone was going for a goal, he had on his CFC polo shirt on. He seemed to be sitting with a group.

The next time I noticed him is when he was laughing. The camera went to him and to me, it looked like an older woman (his aunt? Mum?) said to him you’re on camera and he looked a bit embarrassed and laughed.

That is it.  He wasn’t laughing at the score, the play, our players - he merely looked to be laughing in embarrassment of being spotted on tv and the big screen and the people he was with pointed it out.

He’s 19. He’s allowed to laugh with his friends and family.

And fck Palmer and his stupid tweet. I don’t see him
Playing for another club now.  Nor doing anything for CFC when he was with us.

Fair points MickyO. And Palmer retired due to injuries after a stint in the WAFL.

Reply #109
I'd be inclined to agree. Bolton doesn't seem like a divisive, conniving type. He seems like a fairly decent, honest type, not the sort who would corrupt or derail culture. The fact that all 4 of our teams are struggling means it's a club wide issue IMO. If I was a betting man, and the club's culture is indeed rotten, I'd be looking at someone(s) more senior than him.

I think that the club still suffers from the "we don't rebuild at Carlton" arrogance and entitlement of the Elliott days, it's devilishly hard to shake something when it's so deeply ingrained.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #110

Something is clearly crook in Tootgarook. Are there deeper than thought divisions in the Board? Does everyone jump to what SOS wants and it's creating probs? Whatever it is, the entire club is either stinking it up or in deep denial... never, ever doubt the power of denial.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #111
Should I really be hearing "The Godfather Waltz" as I read that post!

I'm not sick in the head am I, please treat me kindly and speak softly!

You'd be surprised how many around the place think sacking Bolton will solve the club's problems. Extreme myopia.

Reply #112
You'd be surprised how many around the place think sacking Bolton will solve the club's problems. Extreme myopia.

I'm not sure that'll fix anything, but I'm quickly losing faith in him being the man for the job as well! ;)

There is just no way, when you are 40 points down with injuries on the bench, that a opposition team should have extra numbers at both ends of the ground! We are burning the candle at both ends, BB is supposed to be the one putting out the fire!

Are we scared to make a match look ugly, who decision is that, has someone dictated to teh MC the way we are to setup and play, could it really be the coach? personally, I think any AFL coach would probably take a 1pt to Nil win every day of the week!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #113
I think that the club still suffers from the "we don't rebuild at Carlton" arrogance and entitlement of the Elliott days, it's devilishly hard to shake something when it's so deeply ingrained.

It's quite possible that the rebuild is really just scratching the surface. Maybe deep down in the guts, the club isn't really doing the hard yards, because they've never really had to. Player development is a big tell for me. We've never really had to do it, and we still may not be doing it. Certainly looks that way.

Reply #114

What do you think keeping him will do. Sacking him might improve things, not have us go backwards. It'd be a good start.

Can give you recent examples of changing the coach. Bulldogs, worse than us in 2014, next year change to Beveridge, finalists and premiers. Even Ratts took us from the pits of absolute crape to finals within two years. Hinkley took Port from the absolute pits of crape under Primus to a Preliminary Final the next year. Just some examples of success, or at least improvement.

Reply #115
I'm not sure that'll fix anything, but I'm quickly losing faith in him being the man for the job as well! ;)

There is just no way, when you are 40 points down with injuries on the bench, that a opposition team should have extra numbers at both ends of the ground! We are burning the candle at both ends, BB is supposed to be the one putting out the fire!

Are we scared to make a match look ugly, who decision is that, has someone dictated to teh MC the way we are to setup and play, could it really be the coach? personally, I think any AFL coach would probably take a 1pt to Nil win every day of the week!

I'll reserve judgment until Bolton has a proper starting 22 to work with, assuming he lasts that long.

Reply #116
It's quite possible that the rebuild is really just scratching the surface. Maybe deep down in the guts, the club isn't really doing the hard yards, because they've never really had to. Player development is a big tell for me. We've never really had to do it, and we still may not be doing it. Certainly looks that way.

Aaah, to steal a Keatingism, the rebuild we had to have!

I suppose that is why our club's top end is clearly a tad Liberal, a case of Elliotitus!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #117
I'll reserve judgment until Bolton has a proper starting 22 to work with, assuming he lasts that long.

Fair enough.

Is it valid to evaluate a coach who has his back against the wall, is dealing with that part of a coaches skill set?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #118
What do you think keeping him will do. Sacking him might improve things, not have us go backwards. It'd be a good start.

Can give you recent examples of changing the coach. Bulldogs, worse than us in 2014, next year change to Beveridge, finalists and premiers. Even Ratts took us from the pits of absolute crape to finals within two years. Hinkley took Port from the absolute pits of crape under Primus to a Preliminary Final the next year. Just some examples of success, or at least improvement.

I'm thinking of clubs like Geelong (Thompson), Pies (Buckley) and Richmond (Hardwick), who figured out if their coach was the right person for the job, and then stuck with him through the tough times, and gave him all the support he needed.

I don't know if Bolton is the right man for the job. But he doesn't have much to work with.

Reply #119
I'm thinking of clubs like Geelong (Thompson), Pies (Buckley) and Richmond (Hardwick), who figured out if their coach was the right person for the job, and then stuck with him through the tough times, and gave him all the support he needed.

I don't know if Bolton is the right man for the job. But he doesn't have much to work with.

Are those examples valid, were they in the same situation, or did they have the actual talent that was being wasted, do we actually have the talent?

Thompson had some talent, as well as Dank and The Weapon but psst, psst! You must not mention that!

Buckley, the jury is out!

Hardwick had an epiphany watching Frozen, and Let it Go! But credit when credit is due, he had to sack a bunch of controlling megalomaniacs to move forward!
The Force Awakens!