Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 16: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 36082 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 16: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #75
200 or thereabouts.
That was just a shocking call on our part, like playing Warnock and Hampson ahead of Jacobs.
There's a bit of Grigg in Holman actually.

We wanted to sign Grigg. He wanted to leave.

Not our fault there.

Reply #76
200 or thereabouts.
That was just a shocking call on our part, like playing Warnock and Hampson ahead of Jacobs.
There's a bit of Grigg in Holman actually.

Grigg used to get absolutely slated on here for his appalling disposal....maybe, just maybe he's one of those players who was able to improve to AFL standard the longer he was in the system.  Sadly, we as a club (and supporters quite frankly)  don't' seem to be able to have any patience with late bloomers.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #77

Not our fault there.

Agreed very different issues, both Grigg and Jacobs wanted out fans struggle to accept that but it's reality, we didn't offload them they left!

Fans tend to think every player departure is another Aaron Hamill situation.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #78

Not our fault there.

He was playing mainly for the Northern Blues, not surprising he wanted to leave, likewise Jacobs.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #79
He was playing mainly for the Northern Blues, not surprising he wanted to leave, likewise Jacobs.
So by that logic, every club has 20-odd players that want to leave their club because they are playing 2's.

You can knuckle down and do what you need to do to earn a game in the 1's.
Or
You can piss off to another club.

He made his call, and i've got nothing against the club for how he was treated.

Reply #80
Personally don't care what sort of career he's had - Grigg is an ordinary footballer whose presence would make no difference to our current predicament.

Reply #81
Personally don't care what sort of career he's had - Grigg is an ordinary footballer whose presence would make no difference to our current predicament.

Doubt you'll find any disagreement, I even suspect if we recruit Grigg types our predicament will become worse!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #82
So by that logic, every club has 20-odd players that want to leave their club because they are playing 2's.

You can knuckle down and do what you need to do to earn a game in the 1's.
Or
You can piss off to another club.

He made his call, and i've got nothing against the club for how he was treated.

That doesn't make a lot of sense.
In his last year at Carlton he played 8 or 10 senior games from memory, Richmond offered him something he was happy with and the rest is history, 200 games and a Premiership medal, with more to come maybe.
It's a stretch to argue that we didn't underestimate his ability but if that's where you want to go it's up to you.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #83

He'd walk into our current side, not only that but he'd be one of the group of experienced one club players who we are crying out for.
Ordinary footballers don't play 200 games, particularly at Premiership clubs.
It was a bad call by us, but I'll admit that at the time I didn't see it as any great loss so my judgement is no better than the management we had in place at the time.

Reply #84
He'd walk into our current side, not only that but he'd be one of the group of experienced one club players who we are crying out for.
It was a bad call by us, but I'll admit that at the time I didn't see it as any great loss so my judgement is no better than the management we had in place at the time.

Easy to say it was a bad call with hindsight but I question whether he'd get a game if we weren't so injury ridden....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #85
Easy to say it was a bad call with hindsight but I question whether he'd get a game if we weren't so injury ridden....

Easily, he'd be one of the first picked.
His skills aren't elite but he's tough, runs both ways, has an attacking instinct and does all of the team things.
It's only natural that he won't get much credit from Carlton supporters, but he's a very effective footballer.

Reply #86

I don't agree, we need more ACoS types, front line hard ball get contested possession leaders, not the players they give the ball to! ;)

Grigg is not structural, he's cladding, and I back our kids to be just as effective in the short term! Even a Lang type could be our Grigg if we surround him with the right players! If he can work on leg speed, I'd even back in SoJ to become our Grigg!

But a Cotchin, Caddy or Riewoldt type, that's a very different issue!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #87

Agree he would get a game and given he is a premiership player with 200 games its a closed case...he has had the last laugh and justified moving clubs.
Would he have a great impact on our results...probably not, he is a handy Indian but not a chief .....

Reply #88
That doesn't make a lot of sense.
In his last year at Carlton he played 8 or 10 senior games from memory, Richmond offered him something he was happy with and the rest is history, 200 games and a Premiership medal, with more to come maybe.
It's a stretch to argue that we didn't underestimate his ability but if that's where you want to go it's up to you.

My point is, according to you, he sooked it up because he wasn't playing 1's.

Ability doesn't enter into that debate.
He wasn't playing (Or wasn't playing enough) so he had 2 options.
1. Work on his weaknesses to cement his spot in the 1's .....and he has weaknesses
2. Piss off somewhere else.

It's like Laidler all over again.
Play the way we NEED you to play, otherwise we can't fit you in.
That doesn't mean the way you can play can't benefit someone else....just not us.

Both made their choice.

Reply #89

He would be a walk up start, but then, that's not saying much. There would be at least 15 Tiger players that I would take ahead of him.