Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW R8 - Carlton vs Gold Coast @Metricon - Fri 5:10pm (Read 3263 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW R8 - Carlton vs Gold Coast @Metricon - Fri 5:10pm

Reply #30
I made a comment about this in the in-game thread. In short, not dive.

I just watched the replay and Harris didn't dive once.

In the first quarter head high tackles on Hosking, Laloifi and Harris weren't penalised and Prespakis was often held at stoppages.

In the second quarter, Harris had her arms chopped in a marking contest - play on.  Later in the quarter Harris fumbled the ball, looked down to grab it and her opponent pushed her head with both hands - nothing.  Harris was then penalised for a dangerous tackle which really was quite innocuous.  Prespakis was hit high - play on.

In the third quarter Harris was pushed in the back in a marking contest - play on.  Prespakis was crunched and had a free paid against her for holding. 

In the last quarter Harris was penalised for another innocuous "dangerous" tackle.  A bit later and she was held without the ball - play on of course.  Finally, she copped a glancing high tackle during a chain of possessions that ended up in a goal for us and no free was a good call.

There were many other dubious decisions, most of which favoured Gold Coast.

While it's probably going too far to suggest that there's one set of rules for Harris and Prespakis and another set for other players, I suspect that the umpires have been told to keep an eye on tackles laid by Harris and Prespakis and there's a reluctance to pay frees to both, particularly Harris.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #31

In the first quarter head high tackles on Hosking, Laloifi and Harris weren't penalised and Prespakis was often held at stoppages.

In the second quarter, Harris had her arms chopped in a marking contest - play on.  Later in the quarter Harris fumbled the ball, looked down to grab it and her opponent pushed her head with both hands - nothing.  Harris was then penalised for a dangerous tackle which really was quite innocuous.  Prespakis was hit high - play on.

In the third quarter Harris was pushed in the back in a marking contest - play on.  Prespakis was crunched and had a free paid against her for holding. 

In the last quarter Harris was penalised for another innocuous "dangerous" tackle.  A bit later and she was held without the ball - play on of course.  Finally, she copped a glancing high tackle during a chain of possessions that ended up in a goal for us and no free was a good call.

While it's probably going to far to suggest that there's one set of rules for Harris and Prespakis and another set for other players, I suspect that the umpires have been told to keep an eye on tackles laid by Harris and Prespakis and there's a reluctance to pay frees to both, particularly Harris.

Sorry my first comment was saying she flopped. I mispoke when i said she dived.

There is a difference.

A flop is an over-exaggeration of contact.

There were 2 instances where this occured.

One in a marking contest (going left of screen) where she was at the front of the pack and their were 2 GC players behind her. The mark was taken by the third in line. She realised the ball was going over and tried to push back where she was met with by the GC player who held her ground....or at worse, had the slightest of hands in Taylas back. Technically its a free, but it made no difference to the contest. Tayla felt the contact and went forward down on all fours. Her action far exceeded the force put into her......she flopped.

The other one is when she bent down to pick up the ball, front on, and a GC player contacted her head with her belly (i think) from a standing position. Clear contact, should've been a free. Tayla felt the contact and it knocked her back a bit.....she threw her head back and landed flat on her back....and may have even thrown her legs up in the air as well. Less of an exaggeration, but one none-the-less. That was clearly a wrong (non) call by the umps, but her actions may have rubbed the umps the wrong way, making them put the whistle away.

Tayla is obviously a very strong individual, quite capable of holding her own in just about any physical contest. Her actions suggest otherwise and its not a good look. She needs to get it out of her game.

Its a minor thing, but i feel she'll get treated more fairly by the umps if she stops flopping in that manner.

Reply #32

While it's probably going too far to suggest that there's one set of rules for Harris and Prespakis and another set for other players, I suspect that the umpires have been told to keep an eye on tackles laid by Harris and Prespakis and there's a reluctance to pay frees to both, particularly Harris.
And this in a game where we won the free count 16 to 14. Makes you wonder how many frees we really should have got.
For that matter, we got a lot of frees against Richmond, but then they paid some absolute shockers to even up the numbers.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #33
Sorry my first comment was saying she flopped. I mispoke when i said she dived.

There is a difference.

A flop is an over-exaggeration of contact.

There were 2 instances where this occured.

One in a marking contest (going left of screen) where she was at the front of the pack and their were 2 GC players behind her. The mark was taken by the third in line. She realised the ball was going over and tried to push back where she was met with by the GC player who held her ground....or at worse, had the slightest of hands in Taylas back. Technically its a free, but it made no difference to the contest. Tayla felt the contact and went forward down on all fours. Her action far exceeded the force put into her......she flopped.

The other one is when she bent down to pick up the ball, front on, and a GC player contacted her head with her belly (i think) from a standing position. Clear contact, should've been a free. Tayla felt the contact and it knocked her back a bit.....she threw her head back and landed flat on her back....and may have even thrown her legs up in the air as well. Less of an exaggeration, but one none-the-less. That was clearly a wrong (non) call by the umps, but her actions may have rubbed the umps the wrong way, making them put the whistle away.

Tayla is obviously a very strong individual, quite capable of holding her own in just about any physical contest. Her actions suggest otherwise and its not a good look. She needs to get it out of her game.

Its a minor thing, but i feel she'll get treated more fairly by the umps if she stops flopping in that manner.

Both of those incidents were clearly free kicks to Harris.  I didn't think that she flopped or dived but it's inconsequential really, she should have been paid those two frees as well as another three.  The two frees paid against her may have been there ... if they are trying to eliminate tackling from the game.

Four of the non-frees were in our forward 50, probably too far out to score but close enough to get the ball to Vescio or Stevens.

I just realised that I haven't commented on Brooke Walker's first game of the season.  I thought that she started slowly but worked her way into the game.  Her run and hardness has been missed and she finished off with a couple of nice goals.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball