Skip to main content
Topic: East West Tunnel (Read 12311 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: East West Tunnel

Reply #15
Top post Crash. And just on the last point, not only do we have groups that fight any change, we go and make a critical piece of infrastructure, that the everyone can benefit from, an election issue. How imbecilic was that? What does which political party you support have to do with a bit of "kit" EVERYONE can benefit from? It makes no sense to me.
Thanks, but I am sorry it was something of an essay. I seem to write a LOT more nowadays (at Uni, as a Maths/Science student, the fewer words the better was my mantra).
And your point was very true. There is very little bipartisan support for major projects. Making infrastructure like that an election issue basically ensured its death.
In some ways it shows the evolution of our politics. We have a very adversarial system. Back in the day there were different parties, but they could get along enough to do what was necessary. That is no longer the case. The Labour Party and the Liberals cannot see eye to eye on anything short of a war while the Greens want a basic change to most things in our society.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #16
Blame the Liberals entirely. Signed the East/West contract trying to play politics knowing they were going to lose the election, also knowing Labor wasn't building it. It went to the election and Labor won. How many people complaining that it's not being built voted Labor? Andrews made a promise and he kept it. Libs were only going to Toll up every other road to pay for it, meaning people like me, who wouldn't use the East/West link would have to pay a toll on another road.

Westgate Freeway can be pretty bad, so the Western Distributor suits me alot better. Personally couldn't give a toss about the East/West link.

Reply #17
Blame the Liberals entirely. Signed the East/West contract trying to play politics knowing they were going to lose the election, also knowing Labor wasn't building it. It went to the election and Labor won. How many people complaining that it's not being built voted Labor? Andrews made a promise and he kept it. Libs were only going to Toll up every other road to pay for it, meaning people like me, who wouldn't use the East/West link would have to pay a toll on another road.

Westgate Freeway can be pretty bad, so the Western Distributor suits me alot better. Personally couldn't give a toss about the East/West link.
Guess that proves my point. But as long a dirty swine of a polly kept his election promise, thats the main thing huh. Proved a real good point he did.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #18
Took me over 90 minutes to get home today (From Kew)....and i live in the north and was nowhere near the west gate and its holdups.

East west tunnel would work, but its a bandaid on a potentially lethal cut.

They need to heavily invest in PT and get all these cars off the road, then there will be less traffic and less traffic accidents!

It's not about cars or public transport. It's about freight and trades workers trying to cross town. You can't get freight or tools on trains. We all end up paying for the delays and that's what Andrews and the other dickheads can't work out. Just build it!

Reply #19
Not trying to justify wasting a billion dollars, but as carrots said, its far from unusual.

Build the link, sure, but in 10 years time it'll be just like it is now. Bandaid solution.

Rail needs a rethink to handle the extra, sure, but it can be done

How does that make it a bandaid? There's not a single bit of complicated infrastructure you build once and forget. It needs investment and updating otherwise it becomes an issue.

Reply #20
How does that make it a bandaid? There's not a single bit of complicated infrastructure you build once and forget. It needs investment and updating otherwise it becomes an issue.
Agree IOT. It has to be part of a master plan, its a just piece of the jig saw.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #21
Agree IOT. It has to be part of a master plan, its a just piece of the jig saw.

Effective planning is the key - we seem to be in constant reaction mode in this state, and plagued by politicised decisions
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22
One of the problems with our transport infrastructure is that it's not integrated.

A rail line should have been built down the middle of the Eastern Freeway and another should have gone in on  the Tullamarine.  It's a scandal that we don't have a train servicing Melbourne Airport'

Of course, the radial nature of our rail system needs to be addressed with suburban interchanges getting people to their destinations without going through the CBD.  Getting heavy vehicles off the road wouldn't go astray but it all costs money and Aussie politicians are terrified of raising taxes, or even not reducing current taxes.

Melbourne is not the only city to suffer traffic chaos when something goes wrong.  I was heading north out of Paris a couple of years ago and there was a truck fire on the inbound lane.  The traffic was banked up for 21kms and there were hundreds of vehicles still heading towards the jam.

Funny to think there actually was an outer circle train line and a bunch of various criss-crossing links between lines. Long gone now. They had more nous in 1890.

Reply #23
Effective planning is the key - we seem to be in constant reaction mode in this state, and plagued by politicised decisions
BANG! Take it off the buffoon politicians hands and into those who would know what they are doing for the better of all Victorians.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #24
Funny to think there actually was an outer circle train line and a bunch of various criss-crossing links between lines. Long gone now. They had more nous in 1890.

Some of the reserves still exist but most was sold off.  It probably needs to be a bit further out now, but I can't see it happening.

I know Perth is a much smaller city but they seem to have the right idea when it comes to major roads and public transport network.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
You put a train line into Tulla airport then a lot of people will be out of work...not a good way to win voters over in the affected industries...

Train down the freeway to Doncaster...got problems there with the connection points where the preferred end of line is Doncaster Hill and not the park and ride bus terminal, there is an engineering issue with a steep tunnel that would need to be built and that is going to cost big dollars.
They were also talking about the inner connection point being Fairfield station...not ideal either.....only 2% only of car drivers would be expected to leave the car at home and jump on the train.....Donny residents like their comfy Mercs and BM's..
Total Cost was seen as a max of 5 Billion.....and they want public money as part of that cost.......good luck with that one.....

The signalling system also need s a full upgrade....thats a massive cost..

Reply #26
You put a train line into Tulla airport then a lot of people will be out of work...not a good way to win voters over in the affected industries...

That's where it's messed up.

I live in Geelong and we've got pretty minimal traffic issues in comparison to Melbourne. The east west link is one I would have supported though.It makes sense. Rail to Tulla is another. It makes sense. I'm related to Denis Napthine and in the due course of time I shall also quiz him on the proposed Corio Bay bridge from Point Henry which would cut 20 minutes from my daily commute that he suggested whilst in opposition. It makes sense. Seriously what is the point of an Andrews government? And I have not voted Liberal in the state elections since the early days of Kennett.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #27

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't use it either.
But it would have supported melbournes economy and taken a large percentage of traffic off the streets around Carlton fitzroy and collingwood, but at the end of the day, if you're not going to use it Jim, why should the state of Victoria build it?

Reply #28

That tunnel/road has been part of a master plan for decades

Reply #29

Andrews spent $1b of our cash after promising it would not cost anything, you alreday coughed up for a road we dont have. Did he keep that promise? Now the independent infrastructure panel has east/west as first on the list we will pay again. You tell me who played politics with our cash.
What happened to my old profile?????