Skip to main content
Topic: JLT game 3 (Read 60008 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT game 3

Reply #30
I'm holding fire G2C... at least till rd 1!

Reply #31
Talking about skinny.... i walked past Dylan Buckley today... I think he was walking with Gorringe ( tall bugger with long lochs??? ) & I was gobsmacked at how small he was.
I thought he'd  putt on a bit in the upper body over the last few yrs but by God, he looked like a 14 y o boy ????

I'm not blind. I knew he wasnt a big kid but honestly didnt realise he was that small.
 I've been a massive backer of this kid. I love his positive play. Attacking and using his run whenever possible. Trying to make something happen when it seems that everyone else around him has given up. Ive been hoping this kid would make it, especially as he's Jimmys boy too but after seeing him today, Ive gotta hand it to the kid... I dont know how he has lasted this long.
May he make it big time this yr. May he find whatever the hell it us that divides the great from the also rans. May he have a great long career at the mighty blues.
I'd be absolutely stoked for him...........
But unfortunately, I cannot see how a kid his size "could" make it????
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #32
I'm holding fire G2C... at least till rd 1!
Roger that Bear, good strategy. May I suggest you give it a few more rounds for good measure.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33
Talking about skinny.... i walked past Dylan Buckley today... I think he was walking with Gorringe ( tall bugger with long lochs??? ) & I was gobsmacked at how small he was.
I thought he'd  putt on a bit in the upper body over the last few yrs but by God, he looked like a 14 y o boy ????

I'm not blind. I knew he wasnt a big kid but honestly didnt realise he was that small.
 I've been a massive backer of this kid. I love his positive play. Attacking and using his run whenever possible. Trying to make something happen when it seems that everyone else around him has given up. Ive been hoping this kid would make it, especially as he's Jimmys boy too but after seeing him today, Ive gotta hand it to the kid... I dont know how he has lasted this long.
May he make it big time this yr. May he find whatever the hell it us that divides the great from the also rans. May he have a great long career at the mighty blues.
I have commented on this before that the players look smaller in the flesh than they do on TV. You also need to remember that Jimmy was a skinny little bugger back in the 80s also. I had the privilege of attending the 1982 B&F where Jimmy won it in our premiership year. He could bloody well put the grog away let me tell you but he was definitely a skinny little  bugger,  but still tuff as nails.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #34
I can't really see any link between Jaksch and Silvagni.  Jaksch was a speculative trade with long term potential and considerable doubts about his ability to play AFL.  Nothing has really changed although the doubts are mounting and the potential is diminishing.

Alex Silvagni is a mature age rookie added to our list to provide cover in the event that we lose a defender to a long term injury.  While a couple of posters think that he will be elevated to allow Weitering to go forward, I doubt whether he'll play a game at senior level.  If he does get the opportunity, I'm sure that he will perform adequately, as his career with Fremantle suggests.

I couldn't give a flying fudge at a rolling donut about people's expectations but I doubt whether anyone sees him as the 'great white hope'.  He's a good ordinary footballer who I think will fill a short term need. I'd love him to prove me wrong by playing 50 games.

OK, one more time as it appears we have a lot of midgets on the site.

Everyone was over Jaksch prior to the start of the 2016 season. However, when we were going bad, he was kicking a few goals in the 2's. We continued to go bad. Yet he wasn't played. Every man and his dog was calling for him to be played because he HAD to be better than what we had playing for us. His stocks went up, simply because our teams had gone down.

Now, the moment comes and he is picked. Then he plays.....not that you could tell. He was pathetic. People realised why he wasn't picked in the first place and got over it.

I hope we play A. Silvagni now....so people see what he offers.....whatever that may be. Then people wont build him up to be somewhat of a saviour when he does get picked

Reply #35

Everyone was over Jaksch prior to the start of the 2016 season. However, when we were going bad, he was kicking a few goals in the 2's. We continued to go bad. Yet he wasn't played. Every man and his dog was calling for him to be played because he HAD to be better than what we had playing for us. His stocks went up, simply because our teams had gone down.

Now, the moment comes and he is picked. Then he plays.....not that you could tell. He was pathetic. People realised why he wasn't picked in the first place and got over it.

I hope we play A. Silvagni now....so people see what he offers.....whatever that may be. Then people wont build him up to be somewhat of a saviour when he does get picked
Can I ask a question Krudd? Who has nominated A Silvagni as a "saviour"? Every post I have read (but I may have a crucial one) nominates him as a gap filler if key defenders go down. After all, he is on the Rookie list.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #36

You're using a lot of emotive, poorly defined words that can mean whatever you want them to mean. You're inflating and exaggerating some particular comment you may have remembered in order to make a point that perhaps only a minority on here share.  There isn't one person on here who thinks he's a saviour of anything, other than his own ar$e. He's on the rookie list for a reason. He will do something for us, whether it's in the NB's, being called up to the seniors to cover for injuries etc. If anyone on here believes anything different, they are very much in the minority.

Reply #37

Some players lift when they play seniors, you cant just play the same losing players every week, Jaksch deserved a chance and yes he didnt take it but it was the right thing to do
IMO and try him out...no doubt he isnt a coaches favourite because he doesnt appear to give effort all the time but I'd like to see him played again before we dispose of him at years end.

Reply #38
Can I ask a question Krudd? Who has nominated A Silvagni as a "saviour"? Every post I have read (but I may have a crucial one) nominates him as a gap filler if key defenders go down. After all, he is on the Rookie list.

*sigh*

Nobody. Yet.

I'm looking into my crystal ball.

As i just got through saying, nobody thought anything of Jaksch at this stage of last year. However, when we start falling in a heap, we start looking for 'hope' in all the wrong places. My prediction, Silvagni will be that hope that people will turn to in 2017.

As many have just said, he is a gap filler. Agree. He is not a hope.

Just trying to temper peoples expectations early. Hope the club plays him early which will assist in tempering his expectations.

Reply #39
Some players lift when they play seniors, you cant just play the same losing players every week, Jaksch deserved a chance and yes he didnt take it but it was the right thing to do
IMO and try him out...no doubt he isnt a coaches favourite because he doesnt appear to give effort all the time but I'd like to see him played again before we dispose of him at years end.
I am not having a go at the playing of Jaksch. I in fact thought he should've been given at least another week in the 1's.

However, peoples expectations of what he would bring to the side were ridiculously high.

Reply #40

Kade Simpson seemed to have found a way. I remember what they said when he started out and we had no choice but play him. In a different time he may not have gotten the chance to forge a career - now he is one of our best players consistently and has given fantastic service to the club.

Reply #41

I don't recall more than a couple of people calling for Jaksch to be promoted.  Those regular NBs watchers were expressing concern about his ability to to take the step up to AFL and many others doubted the wisdom of his recruitment from the word go. 

Similarly, I don't think anyone is building Alex Silvagni up as a saviour, except perhaps in your own mind.  Most folk realise that he is a delisted player who was given a rookie spot to provide cover in the event of a LTI.  I suspect that he is down the rookie pecking order but I am more than happy with the idea of having an experienced, competent defender on our rookie list.  I think that he will acquit himself quite well if he does get another opportunity at AFL level but he's a long way off best 22.

Now, repeat after me, "No-one thinks Alex Silvagni is a saviour!"

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #42
*sigh*

Nobody. Yet.

I'm looking into my crystal ball.

As i just got through saying, nobody thought anything of Jaksch at this stage of last year. However, when we start falling in a heap, we start looking for 'hope' in all the wrong places. My prediction, Silvagni will be that hope that people will turn to in 2017.

As many have just said, he is a gap filler. Agree. He is not a hope.

Just trying to temper peoples expectations early. Hope the club plays him early which will assist in tempering his expectations.
Well I reckon your crystall ball is a little hazy and you cant see in it properly. No one would look to Alex as anything more than a gap filler in a time of need, simple as that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #43
Kade Simpson seemed to have found a way. I remember what they said when he started out and we had no choice but play him. In a different time he may not have gotten the chance to forge a career - now he is one of our best players consistently and has given fantastic service to the club.
The only chance you have of making it at that size is to be absolutely elite in terms of your skills and decision making when you have the ball. You also have to be able to read the play well to be able to avoid big collisions wherever possible.

This is where someone like Simmo excels compared to others.

My knock on Buckley has always been that despite his endeavor, speed, courage and dare, his skills and decision making are ordinary at best. You are simply never going to make it at his size in his position unless you are excellent at setting up play with each possession you get.

Reply #44
The only chance you have of making it at that size is to be absolutely elite in terms of your skills and decision making when you have the ball. You also have to be able to read the play well to be able to avoid big collisions wherever possible.

This is where someone like Simmo excels compared to others.

My knock on Buckley has always been that despite his endeavor, speed, courage and dare, his skills and decision making are ordinary at best. You are simply never going to make it at his size in his position unless you are excellent at setting up play with each possession you get.

That is very true and we won't make the top four and beyond while our best 22 includes players who don't impact games.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball