Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 14; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 25056 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 14; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #135
I wonder if BB is one of the those blokes who wants to do everything... control freak. When coaches learn to delegate and trust they inevitably get a better result.

Not sure Baggers.

Reply #136
You could never put a number on it. Coaches have to know what they're doing, just like the players. If Bolton's message isn't getting through, then it's on him to figure out a way to get it across. The players aren't dumb.

Charlie Curnow must like what he's hearing at least, he wouldn't have been short of offers if he decided to move.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #137
Charlie Curnow must like what he's hearing at least, he wouldn't have been short of offers if he decided to move.

He may well like the place, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for big improvement on both sides, coaches and players.

Reply #138
He may well like the place, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for big improvement on both sides, coaches and players.

If you look critically at the teams we've been putting on the park for the last month or so you wouldn't be expecting any wins and the odd belting shouldn't come as a surprise.
Believe me I get as pissed off about it as anyone, but then reality kicks in and I realise that Jock McHale, Norm Smith and John Kennedy rolled into one couldn't conjure a win against Collingwood on Sunday with the team that the CFC will send into battle.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #139
If you look critically at the teams we've been putting on the park for the last month or so you wouldn't be expecting any wins and the odd belting shouldn't come as a surprise.
Believe me I get as pissed off about it as anyone, but then reality kicks in and I realise that Jock McHale, Norm Smith and John Kennedy rolled into one couldn't conjure a win against Collingwood on Sunday with the team that the CFC will send into battle.

I'm not expecting a win, but an honorable loss would be nice.

If you have a team full of stars, like the Lions 3 peat team, what does the coach do ? Ratten made the point once he moved to the Hawks that so many of their players were very easy to coach.

In among the awful skill errors etc., I just wonder whether Bolton is making things harder than he should. Adding the offensive layer has been an epic fail IMO. And that's down to coaches and players IMO. The contrast between 2016, 17 and now is palpable.

Reply #140
Ahh the glory days of 2016 and 2017  ::)

Reply #141
I'm not expecting a win, but an honorable loss would be nice.
The contrast between 2016, 17 and now is palpable.

Take three of the best five players out of any side and they'll struggle, take them out of a side already struggling and this is what you see.

Reply #142
Again, it seems player mismanagement has played its part this season....

Murphy, Kennedy, Marchbank and Kreuzer - all brought back too soon.

It's cost us Murphy for another big chunk of a season (and let's see if he does actually play again this year), it has cost Kennedy big time (and us as a foil for Crippa), Marchbank arguably our best third tall defender and Matty K - is he even fit now?

Why did we pick up Shaw in the off season and not even give him a go? Couldn't have been any worse than Mullet or O'Shea.... who both got extended runs despite being worse than ordinary for weeks....

I'd rather see Schmacher given a crack ahead of Mullet.

Why is Polson picked again - out of the blue - off the back of zip form in the 2s. Graham again made a scape goat....?

Then there's the ongoing MC selections. More often than not picking an unbalanced side....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #143
Then there's the ongoing MC selections. More often than not picking an unbalanced side....
Tanking?
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #146
I wonder if BB is one of the those blokes who wants to do everything... control freak. When coaches learn to delegate and trust they inevitably get a better result.

I can only go on the footage from The Journey and training snippets but Bolton and the assistants seem very relaxed and comfortable.  The assistants also seem to have considerable autonomy/responsibility and Bolts is often notable for his absence.  That suggests to me that Bolts is anything but a control freak ... but it would be nice to get an insider’s opinion. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #147

Why is Polson picked again - out of the blue - off the back of zip form in the 2s. Graham again made a scape goat....?

Forward pressure tackling. He can lay a tackle and make it stick. That will be his brief tomorrow, double digit tackles in our forward 50, plus a bit of icing if he can add it. 

Reply #148
Forward pressure tackling. He can lay a tackle and make it stick. That will be his brief tomorrow, double digit tackles in our forward 50, plus a bit of icing if he can add it.

Last time he played - against the Pies - ZERO tackles!

But 5 mighty disposals...

Yep, sound choice.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #149

Polson deserved a game weeks ago ahead of Silvagni, and didn't get it!

Graham, for a 24 year old experienced player, was just awful last week! Even if his replacement isn't in form, there is no way you can reward a player by letting them retain a spot after that sort of effort!
The Force Awakens!