Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 for 2014 (Read 123997 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 for 2014

Reply #75
What Cloke's problem is/was is irrelevant in my opinion. The point is, Collingwood have invested heavily in the football department to provide their key forward with the personal coaching that he needs and fix the problem. Though as I said, his kicking had improved dramatically over the last couple of years, but the Magpies saw fit the other day to hire a coach to further improve it. 

Levi needs one on one coaching and plenty of time dedicated to it. Anyone who has played footy here would know that pre-seasons can be dominated by running, and very little ball-use. That's fine so Levi must want to fix his kicking by putting in extra hours on the track. Someone needs to speak to him and say that 2014 could be his breakout year, and with the help of a personal coach, he can achieve it with his own determination.

I agree with what you have said. Levi needs to be mentored one on one and taught how to kick. He also needs to get his endurance working for him. Rowe needs to be taught how to present and work on his endurance also. Henderson can't do it all alone in the forward 50m.
Levi also has the option of seeking out help off his own bat. Judd does it all the time. When he first came across, he hired a running coach for private sessions at Olympic park. These young peanuts need to start showing some initiative.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #76
What Cloke's problem is/was is irrelevant in my opinion. The point is, Collingwood have invested heavily in the football department to provide their key forward with the personal coaching that he needs and fix the problem. Though as I said, his kicking had improved dramatically over the last couple of years, but the Magpies saw fit the other day to hire a coach to further improve it. 

Levi needs one on one coaching and plenty of time dedicated to it. Anyone who has played footy here would know that pre-seasons can be dominated by running, and very little ball-use. That's fine so Levi must want to fix his kicking by putting in extra hours on the track. Someone needs to speak to him and say that 2014 could be his breakout year, and with the help of a personal coach, he can achieve it with his own determination.

I agree with what you have said. Levi needs to be mentored one on one and taught how to kick. He also needs to get his endurance working for him. Rowe needs to be taught how to present and work on his endurance also. Henderson can't do it all alone in the forward 50m.
Levi also has the option of seeking out help off his own bat. Judd does it all the time. When he first came across, he hired a running coach for private sessions at Olympic park. These young peanuts need to start showing some initiative.

I agree. At the end of the day, it's entirely up to Levi whether or not he's fair dinkum about improving his kicking and staking his claim for a regular spot in our forward 50.

Reply #78
No amount of concentration can overcome a technique like that. The action itself needs a complete overhaul.

But he has kicked some excellent goals, consistency/repeatability seems to be his problem. Are the good ones just down to chance?

The one from the boundary against the Scum he sliced a centering kick if that's the one you're thinking of so yes IMO the laws of physics say he will hit one sweetly every once in a while. IMO of course. ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #79
Here is how the media experts think our starting 22 will be like. I can't see Everitt and Menzel missing too many games.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/herald-sun-experts-predict-how-carlton-will-line-up-in-2014/story-fni5f5nx-1226793283506

I recall Parko saying, in reference to the best 22, that it changes at least 20% from season to season if you are going to progress and be successful. With that in mind I believe the HUN side is a yawn. They took no risks.

There will be 3 or 4 blokes (maybe more) than we believe are a lock-in week in week out who will, however, fail to be in our best this year. Falling by the wayside could be Tuohy; could be Armfield; could be McInnes; could be Scotland; could be Lucas; could be Watson; could be Rowe; could be Casboult; could be Carrazzo. Might even be Dinger despite fronting up so well.

A progressive side embraces changes, even if it means dumping favourites. And if Gibbs is wavering in terms of commitment - f*ck him off now. You don't want to commit now? Then sit the season out... we don't need the media speculation and distraction. Sadly, McKay probably doesn't have the cods for such a decision/stance. Ruthlessly successful teams do not tolerate a lack of commitment/loyalty and are bold in their decisions.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #80
Here is how the media experts think our starting 22 will be like. I can't see Everitt and Menzel missing too many games.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/herald-sun-experts-predict-how-carlton-will-line-up-in-2014/story-fni5f5nx-1226793283506

Jarrad Waite (30,168)

Didn't know he had played that many games. :P

I would have Curnow and Armfield out of that side. I would pencil in Everitt for 22+ games and rotate kids through.

Reply #81
You would think at worst Curnow and Armfield would get a gig as a sub. They both would get a gig with Mick on a permanent basis because they give us the run and carry he wants us to have in my opinion. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #82
You would think at worst Curnow and Armfield would get a gig as a sub. They both would get a gig with Mick on a permanent basis because they give us the run and carry he wants us to have in my opinion. ;)

Yeah, I just reckon their disposal isn't good enough and they don't hurt the opposition when we have the ball. I wouldn't play more than one negating type player and if you include Carrazzo as a tagger, then there's no room for Curnow and Armfield imo. I still think they'll get a few games throughout the year and offer something when they do. Just not best 22.

Reply #83
@MI
There's something in that mate IMO. When Army and Curnow struggle to get a game then that's an indication we are getting somewhere.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #84
With Curnow doing such a good job last year, don't be surprised if Carrazzo is found a different role this year, like they did to Simpson last year.  Just a hunch!

Reply #85
With Curnow doing such a good job last year, don't be surprised if Carrazzo is found a different role this year, like they did to Simpson last year.  Just a hunch!

Could be right too BUT Curnow needs to improve his disposal and also hurt the opposition more in a positive sense in order secure his spot in the first 22 - just my take.

Reply #86

Could be right too BUT Curnow needs to improve his disposal and also hurt the opposition more in a positive sense in order secure his spot in the first 22 - just my take.

I thought Curnow's disposal and his decision making (in choosing the right disposal option) improved considerably during the course of the season as his confidence grew.

He had been a fringe player fora long time at several clubs - no doubt it would have taken time for him to believe he 'belonged' - MM seems good at giving players that all important extra dose of self belief.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #87
@FB
Yes Curnow did seem to be on the improve last year and let's hope he goes on with it this year. Could become a very handy player for us if he can.

Reply #88

No, or Docherty really either !

Great news about Tommy Bell though.  Have to wait and see if it's just another one of those pump up the tyres stories that we hear this time of the year.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #89
Tom Bell arrived back at training as if he was preparing for the Hawaiian ironman. Has shed kilos from his massive frame and has been flying in the time-trials. Received a rookie elevation and maybe the beast is about to unleash.

Hope this is the 'kiss of death' for the bloke.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"