Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 for 2014 (Read 123974 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 for 2014

Reply #120
Garlett is a walk up start imo.
agree, pace and and game breaker when he is on. I have a feeling he will got to the next level minus Eddie.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #121
Garlett is a walk up start imo.
agree, pace and and game breaker when he is on. I have a feeling he will got to the next level minus Eddie.

Both him and Yaz went to another level in the games Betts missed I reckon. Yaz Smashed Russell in that game against the Pies and took home 3 votes against the Weagles two weeks later. Garlett was AA in the first 10 games or so of the year around the time Betts missed those 6 games. Really looking forward to not having Betts to be honest, although I loved him as a Blue.

Reply #122
If it takes one missing player to let two other players become super stars, then I say bring it on. Yarran and Garlett can be absolute freaks. Betts was very good but they have an opportunity to be even better.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #123
If it takes one missing player to let two other players become super stars, then I say bring it on. Yarran and Garlett can be absolute freaks. Betts was very good but they have an opportunity to be even better.

I think Garlett could be better than Betts. At the same age, Garlett has kicked 171 goals and Betts 165, but Betts had played 22 more games than him.

Reply #124

I think Garlett could be better than Betts. At the same age, Garlett has kicked 171 goals and Betts 165, but Betts had played 22 more games than him.

What I like about Garlett and Yarran is that they can carry the ball with real pace from CHB to the forward 50m and kill all chasers trying to stop them. Then nailing that goal we need. I think they need to work on their conversion. Betts had the yips at set shots over the last few seasons. The other 2 were suspect at times to. If you have that pace, and X-factor you need to finish and especially nail the set shots at goal. Thomas could teach them this skill. Didn't know about the above comparison MilkIt. Thanks for that.  ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #125
Betts has one clear advantage over Garlett and Yarran and that is his marking ability.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Betts is one of the best marks for a small forward.

However, Garlett and Yarran are more complete footballers than Eddie and can make a contribution up the ground and in defence whereas Eddie is a forward first and foremost.

Like many others, I was sad to see Eddie leave but we've got his position covered and then some.  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #126
Betts has one clear advantage over Garlett and Yarran and that is his marking ability.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Betts is one of the best marks for a small forward.

However, Garlett and Yarran are more complete footballers than Eddie and can make a contribution up the ground and in defence whereas Eddie is a forward first and foremost.

Like many others, I was sad to see Eddie leave but we've got his position covered and then some.  :)

As good as his marking was I'm glad we will no longer se him as the lone forward trying to out mark 2 or 3 opposition players, geez it drove me nuts!
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #127

What I like about Garlett and Yarran is that they can carry the ball with real pace from CHB to the forward 50m and kill all chasers trying to stop them. Then nailing that goal we need. I think they need to work on their conversion. Betts had the yips at set shots over the last few seasons. The other 2 were suspect at times to. If you have that pace, and X-factor you need to finish and especially nail the set shots at goal. Thomas could teach them this skill. Didn't know about the above comparison MilkIt. Thanks for that.  ;)

Yarran was an exceptional shot at goal - before he came to Carlton!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #128
Yarran needs to play across half back, Menzel to take Eddie's spot.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #129

Menzel has to earn Eddie's spot!

I watched the interview with Mick yesterday and I was most interested in his brief discussion of draft picks.  To paraphrase, he compared Menzel, as a high draft pick, with Cachia and pointed out that Cachia played more games than Menzel.  He also said that this lot of draft picks were ready to play AFL and expected a couple to force their way into the side.

Menzel needs to learn how to keep his feet or he'll be bypassed.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #130

I watched the interview with Mick yesterday and I was most interested in his brief discussion of draft picks.  To paraphrase, he compared Menzel, as a high draft pick, with Cachia and pointed out that Cachia played more games than Menzel.  He also said that this lot of draft picks were ready to play AFL and expected a couple to force their way into the side.

Yeah I don't think he was given a decent run at it personally He wasn't ready for the midfield and there was no room up front with Eddie and Jeffy. He certainly showed he's a dangerous forward early in one game (can't remember which one) but he moved and marked very nicely on the lead.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #131

Yeah I don't think he was given a decent run at it personally He wasn't ready for the midfield and there was no room up front with Eddie and Jeffy. He certainly showed he's a dangerous forward early in one game (can't remember which one) but he moved and marked very nicely on the lead.

His first quarters against Essendon and the Doggies were both very good. 2 goals in each from memory. Went missing for the rest of the match, though.

Reply #132
Nice tackling too

Reply #133
I feel we have beauty on our hands with Menzel. As mentioned I just think he does everything well, just a natural footballer he is, not an athlete-come-footballer. I hope gets a good run at it this year, but I also feel he needs to prove he deserves it. All things being equal he should play quite regularly this year.

Reply #134
I feel we have beauty on our hands with Menzel. As mentioned I just think he does everything well, just a natural footballer he is, not an athlete-come-footballer. I hope gets a good run at it this year, but I also feel he needs to prove he deserves it. All things being equal he should play quite regularly this year.

Have the same feeling JC although others on here are not yet convinced about him.
Reality always wins in the end.