Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 for 2014 (Read 123984 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 for 2014

Reply #135
I feel we have beauty on our hands with Menzel. As mentioned I just think he does everything well, just a natural footballer he is, not an athlete-come-footballer. I hope gets a good run at it this year, but I also feel he needs to prove he deserves it. All things being equal he should play quite regularly this year.

Have the same feeling JC although others on here are not yet convinced about him.

He, like all others his age/stage, is a work in progress.

I reckon MM is keen to fast track him as that third tall / lead up forward. He'll get game time this year, probably from NAB onwards. Up to him to take his opportunities. Like any other player when there is plenty of competition he'll need to show he's made of the 'right stuff'.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2013-09-24/2013-review-troy-menzel
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #136
That being said, he is an Adelaide based player, playing his second season of footy in the big smoke.

He could just as easily have second year blues, and like Malthouse said, he is not looking for these guys to become mainstays in the lineup just yet.

Ive always stated that other teams recruiting looks better because they give their new youngsters time to slowly integrate into a team that is already a well oiled machine and this has been our biggest hinderance over the last 10 or so years.  So when we throw the youngster to the wolves and they get eaten its us not developing them properly when in actual fact, its just a matter of them not being pushed to develope in training and earn a spot because they became walk up starters.

Positive signs and progress is all I need to see from Menzel this year, and if we get more, fantastic.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #137
yarran jamison mcinnes
docherty watson walker
simpson mclean tuohy
thomas henderson carrazzo
menzel waite murphy
kruezer judd gibbs
warnock graham bell everitt

I cant fit in ellard scotland garlett cripps lucas????:-\ i also think temay & holman might play some good footy in 2014

Interesting to see that very few have Levi Casboult in their starting lineup - he'll almost certainly be a key member of the team in 2014. Also, I'm not sure that MM rates Yarran's defensive game.

Docherty Jamison Everitt
Tuohy Henderson Simpson
Thomas Gibbs Yarran
Murphy Casboult Walker
Kreuzer, Waite, Garlett

Warnock Judd Curnow

Carazzo, Bell, Graham, Menzel

Others......Armfield, Scotland, Cripps, McInnes, Watson, Lucas, McLean, Cachia unlucky

Reply #138
@JonDorotich

I think it'll be a fight out between Watson and Casboult for a spot in the best 22. I think most of us had Watson ahead of Casboult, which would allow Henderson to play FF, but from the reports I've heard maybe Casboult is ahead and Henderson will play down back again this year.

Reply #139
Casboult is a woeful kick and while he may be threading some goals at training I have my doubts under pressure in a real game he can do the same.
You cant drop the ball like he does and expect to hit every kick properly.......the only poor kick for goal come good I have seen has been Stuart Loewe and I guess if you took as many marks as he did you would get plenty of practice kicking for goal.

Its useless having a winning midfield if you cant convert opportunities and I'm all for Henderson playing forward with Waite....Levi will have his moments but Henderson is a reliable player who kicks straight.
I think we need to gamble with Watson, Giles or anyone else down back so Henderson can play forward......

Reply #140
@EB1

Tend to agree with this. If Levi can begin to kick consistently accurately in 2014 then it would be a massive bonus for us. Until he shows that then I'm happy to see Hendo go forward - he is a proven accurate kick for goal.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #141
Sorry, but trying to pick a best 22 in January is like judging your blind date on what her friends say about her/him.

Remember that dude we got from the Weagles (no. 22 from memory) who trained the house down, and was an on-field dud?

In fact, there is no such thing as a 'best 22'. It is a nonsense, even, to think such a thing. So limiting. There is only a thing called 'the list' from where we pick the best 22 for 'this week'.

When I look at our list I could easily imagine our best 22 to be 34 blokes. And that is close to how it should be.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #142
Sorry, but trying to pick a best 22 in January is like judging your blind date on what her friends say about her/him.

Remember that dude we got from the Weagles (no. 22 from memory) who trained the house down, and was an on-field dud?

In fact, there is no such thing as a 'best 22'. It is a nonsense, even, to think such a thing. So limiting. There is only a thing called 'the list' from where we pick the best 22 for 'this week'.

When I look at our list I could easily imagine our best 22 to be 34 blokes. And that is close to how it should be.
Callum Chambers is the guy you were thinking of, and he was super fast hence the hype when we got him at the end of 2004.
Agree that we finally have a list with some serious depth that will hopefully allow us to challenge deep into September with a little luck.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #143
Chambers had a ripping 2005 NAB Cup series...but that's about it.

Reply #144

Callum Chambers is the guy you were thinking of, and he was super fast hence the hype when we got him at the end of 2004.
Agree that we finally have a list with some serious depth that will hopefully allow us to challenge deep into September with a little luck.

We said the same thing in 2012.

Will be interesting to see how the pro-Malthousonites react if we are poor again this year.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #145
Cop a few injuries to your best players, added with suspensions and its always going to be tough. This is why I think ratten got unfairly treated. On the other side, he got his marching orders for the wrong reasons...if anything it should have been for poor list management/shoddy recruiting.

Reply #146
Cop a few injuries to your best players, added with suspensions and its always going to be tough. This is why I think ratten got unfairly treated. On the other side, he got his marching orders for the wrong reasons...if anything it should have been for poor list management/shoddy recruiting.

Ratten was knifed by his playing group.  The way that they played against the Gold Coast up there was his death knell.  Had the players been united behind Ratten then fair enough, but its likely the club saw an opportunity to grab a coach who has a track record and this match was ultimately the one that cost him his job, because it was plain as day that the players were not playing for him.

Once you lose the playing group, you are dead man walking and its only a matter of time, unless the club trusts you to turn over the list (which Ratten had ample opportunity to do).  Couple that with the fact that whenever the opportunity for a player to move on came up that the opportunity was generally taken, speaks for why it was a fair enough thought process.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #147

We said the same thing in 2012.

Will be interesting to see how the pro-Malthousonites react if we are poor again this year.

...be more interesting to see how you react should we be very successful. Where do I send the humble pie? ;) ...and dozen eggs :)

Reply #148

Ratten was knifed by his playing group.  The way that they played against the Gold Coast up there was his death knell.  Had the players been united behind Ratten then fair enough, but its likely the club saw an opportunity to grab a coach who has a track record and this match was ultimately the one that cost him his job, because it was plain as day that the players were not playing for him.

Once you lose the playing group, you are dead man walking and its only a matter of time, unless the club trusts you to turn over the list (which Ratten had ample opportunity to do).  Couple that with the fact that whenever the opportunity for a player to move on came up that the opportunity was generally taken, speaks for why it was a fair enough thought process.

In that case Malthouse has lost the players as well though, there were many poor performances under him as well. I think the playing list itself is 'lost', aint nobody going to fix it. Too many blokes that have had an easy run at it, fall for their own hype and are rated way too highly for players with their shortcomings.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #149

In that case Malthouse has lost the players as well though, there were many poor performances under him as well. I think the playing list itself is 'lost', aint nobody going to fix it. Too many blokes that have had an easy run at it, fall for their own hype and are rated way too highly for players with their shortcomings.

So, Turnips Old Son, your glass is half empty eh? ;)

The players speak with a genuine respect re MM (past and present). He's not the kind of coach who loses his players... around 30 years in the top job is a reasonable testament to that! He openly admitted he didn't 'get' the group until rounds 4-6. But, yes, the expectations for this year are justifiably much higher than last season.

Now, can I top up that glass for you... :) :)