Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 for 2014 (Read 123984 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 for 2014

Reply #165
He tried and then he busted his shoulder.

Spot on, that's what was said to him prior to him going in for that ball and breaking his shoulder. I just don't think he's made for the tough stuff, in the few occasions he goes in hard he cops it just like the Dawks game last year.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #166

Spot on, that's what was said to him prior to him going in for that ball and breaking his shoulder. I just don't think he's made for the tough stuff, in the few occasions he goes in hard he cops it just like the Dawks game last year.

The timing just keeps working against him. Maybe Cripps, Robinson and Bell need to be in the squad for the tough stuff. They are bigger so it will be executed by them with less damage to their bodies. I hope Murphy getting injured in the past doesn't make him soft though. We need a tough captain, or give his role to a player that can handle a knock or two. Not the type that breaks bones though.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #167

The timing just keeps working against him. Maybe Cripps, Robinson and Bell need to be in the squad for the tough stuff. They are bigger so it will be executed by them with less damage to their bodies. I hope Murphy getting injured in the past doesn't make him soft though. We need a tough captain, or give his role to a player that can handle a knock or two. Not the type that breaks bones though.

Pretty sure Murph will never be soft. As per usual during our 'black' period, when we recruited top players we expected the world from them. Too much. But I really believe this is being addressed. Murph is just too small to be crunching his body against blokes 10 kgs heavier.

You're right, Green Stick, it's time for the bigger bodied mids to do the grunt work... I still believe Murph would be a class small forward who goes into the guts when needed.

He is a tough skipper... but his real skill...is his skill!

With a proper pre season I suspect we will see really good things from Murph (provided he doesn't try to do what someone 95kgs should be doing!!).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #168
Murphy was injured and couldnt run last season.....he got caught a lot and looked slow. He needs his pace back to extract himself from traffic and get away from taggers like Crowley...the latter isnt quick but beat Murphy to the ball because our man couldnt get out of second gear.
You add that injury to the pressure of being a 1st year captain and he had a season to forget.....I think he will be better in 2014 and then in 2015 I expect him to be a dominant player once Mick has the players he wants on the park and the structures worked out so Murphy can get some more easy ball and do the silky stuff that wins games.

Reply #169
Murphy was injured and couldnt run last season.....he got caught a lot and looked slow. He needs his pace back to extract himself from traffic and get away from taggers like Crowley...the latter isnt quick but beat Murphy to the ball because our man couldnt get out of second gear.
You add that injury to the pressure of being a 1st year captain and he had a season to forget.....I think he will be better in 2014 and then in 2015 I expect him to be a dominant player once Mick has the players he wants on the park and the structures worked out so Murphy can get some more easy ball and do the silky stuff that wins games.

Mick mentioned a lack of run so getting Daisy, Docherty and Everitt along with Cripps is a start because as you stated Judd and Murphy could be rested up forward or rested from games to heal properly. I know we lost Betts but he wasn't really a mid because of his lack of a tank. I hope your on the money with the next group of players we fish for. Especially with a few aging players, we need to top up with players that have another 100 games in them. I hope all the players I mentioned get regular games and become our best 22. It just helps balance our side better than we have looked recently. I have my eyes on Everitt reading he likes to run and carry, and can play as a defender or a forward role. He might need to be our next Waite with slightly less X-factor who can play both ends of the ground.

Reply #170

But he does get the easy ball, what I'm talking about his putting his body on the line when he has to (mandatory regardless of skill and size), tackling with intent and at least being accountable for his man when inside defensive 50. Sorry Elwood, I think you're a very smart bloke and rate your opinion but it is certainly NOT about getting more easy ball to Murphy. It's about being more accountable as a team and then mean EVERY player is accountable whether they're numero uno or number 38 on the list.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #171
And just on that, who is the Murphy equivalent at the Hawks, Swans, Dockers or Cats who is told not to win any ball and just try and get easy receives? I think you'll find they don't exist. Whilst Murphy plays the way that he does we will not get any better and note when he DID change his game for a season back 2011 we were a far better side.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #172
EB unfortunately I think you're right on both fronts, Rowe may never have aerobically what it takes to make it which is a shame he is a decent footballer. I also think that Warnock and Kreuzer will be the first combination MM will use if both are fit, but apparently Casboult is looking good acccording to Mclean so I guess we will see.

Warnock will be Warnock and get heaps of tapouts, but that combination I think needs Kreuzer to become what we thought he would be when drafted at number 1, someone who can impact the game all over the ground ala Cox in his prime. As much as I love Kreuzer though he just seems to be turning into a good no. 1 ruck as every season rolls around and thats it.

Reply #173

But he does get the easy ball, what I'm talking about his putting his body on the line when he has to (mandatory regardless of skill and size), tackling with intent and at least being accountable for his man when inside defensive 50. Sorry Elwood, I think you're a very smart bloke and rate your opinion but it is certainly NOT about getting more easy ball to Murphy. It's about being more accountable as a team and then mean EVERY player is accountable whether they're numero uno or number 38 on the list.

I'm hearing you Carrots and understand what you are saying but I dont think Murph will ever be that accountable player just like Dane Swan isnt and Craig Bradley never was......his body isnt built to take the punishment IMO and the modern game with bigger bodied mids banging into him has taken its toll.
Chris Yarran is another who isnt keen to be very accountable and picks/chooses his time to go and contest......both players have extremely high skill level and I think we just have to hope that when they do get the footy they use those great skills to hurt others teams to make up for their lack of application in the defensive areas of the game.
The Swans, Freo and probably Hawthorn are the teams that seem to get the most application in the defensive  areas of the game across the list.....not sure if our list is ever going to give that type of result week and week out even with a bloke like Mick coaching.....

Reply #174
I agree re Yarran as well, I think Yarran in full flight though is a better player than Murphy and when Yarran plays down back he is accountable for a man.

I don't think you can win a premiership with players like Murphy playing the way he does.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #175
I agree re Yarran as well, I think Yarran in full flight though is a better player than Murphy and when Yarran plays down back he is accountable for a man.

I don't think you can win a premiership with players like Murphy playing the way he does.

Sorry Carrots, this stinks of bias.

Murphy wins much more contested footy than Yarran does, and has done for longer.  Yarran is more skilled, and faster when he extracts the digit, but you calling him an easy ball receiver is a crock.

Contested posessions are generally what Murphy is all about.  The fact that he is shutdown and then has to run an opponent into the ground is why you might perceive him winning easy ball, but I dont think Murphy has ever had the luxury of winning easy ball.  He has played with a tagger since we recruited him as our midfield has generally been rubbish the whole time he has played for us.

As for Yarran being accountable for a man, when he goes on a run, who do you think sits on his opponent?  He cant be in two places at once, and someone else has to cover for him.  Nothing wrong with that by the way, its how I expect our unit to work, but you cant call him accountable.  When its time to think of someone to shut down a good small forward, Chris Yarran is not the name you think of for that task.  Nothing wrong with that.

You asked a question about who his equivalent is at Geelong, and the name Jimmy Bartel comes to mind.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #176

Do we have two Yarrans in the team? I haven't seen this one.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #177

Sorry Carrots, this stinks of bias.

Murphy wins much more contested footy than Yarran does, and has done for longer.  Yarran is more skilled, and faster when he extracts the digit, but you calling him an easy ball receiver is a crock.

Contested posessions are generally what Murphy is all about.  The fact that he is shutdown and then has to run an opponent into the ground is why you might perceive him winning easy ball, but I dont think Murphy has ever had the luxury of winning easy ball.  He has played with a tagger since we recruited him as our midfield has generally been rubbish the whole time he has played for us.

As for Yarran being accountable for a man, when he goes on a run, who do you think sits on his opponent?  He cant be in two places at once, and someone else has to cover for him.  Nothing wrong with that by the way, its how I expect our unit to work, but you cant call him accountable.  When its time to think of someone to shut down a good small forward, Chris Yarran is not the name you think of for that task.  Nothing wrong with that.

You asked a question about who his equivalent is at Geelong, and the name Jimmy Bartel comes to mind.

Contested footy means sweet FA Thry as I mentioned previously, if a ball rolls out a pack into a players path that is a contested ball. If Yarran let the tackles slip that Murphy does he'd be crucified.

I agree Yarran has a fair way to go but he is still more accountable and accountability is DEMANDED of him by fans et al as opposed to Murphy where it just doesn't matter to most (as has been highlighted in this thread).
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #178
The more I think about it the more I like the pickup of Everitt. A bit bigger than your usual third tall and not quite key position but should cover opposition third talls comfortably and could play 2nd tall against smaller forward lines. Ironically he is actually taller than Jamison by one cm I think.

Not to mention being able to push up on a wing or swing forward. Offers great versatility.

Reply #179
The more I think about it the more I like the pickup of Everitt. A bit bigger than your usual third tall and not quite key position but should cover opposition third talls comfortably and could play 2nd tall against smaller forward lines. Ironically he is actually taller than Jamison by one cm I think.

Not to mention being able to push up on a wing or swing forward. Offers great versatility.

I only remember him at the Doggies, but have heard good news about his ability. He is a bit of a utility type and can run. I'll be interested to see if he can hold his marks. This will open opportunities for him. Haven't seen enough myself, but as I said I have heard good news most of the time.