Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 for 2014 (Read 124015 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 for 2014

Reply #210

Kreuzer's biggest strength is his attack on the contest, where he uses his big body to bust open packs and dish handballs out to our running players. That's why he's far better suited as the #1 ruck, in my opinion, it gets him to more contests and therefore allows him more opportunities to showcase his strengths.

Problem being this is not what we got him for, nor what we need him for. We need him to take contested marks around the ground and at least break even in the ruck and take marks and score goals when up forward. Anything that happens when the ball hits the deck is a bonus with ruckmen nothing more.

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #211

Kreuzer's biggest strength is his attack on the contest, where he uses his big body to bust open packs and dish handballs out to our running players. That's why he's far better suited as the #1 ruck, in my opinion, it gets him to more contests and therefore allows him more opportunities to showcase his strengths.

Problem being this is not what we got him for, nor what we need him for. We need him to take contested marks around the ground and at least break even in the ruck and take marks and score goals when up forward. Anything that happens when the ball hits the deck is a bonus with ruckmen nothing more.

This is the only highlights reel I could find of Kreuze at U/18 level. It was back in 2006, so I guess there isn't much still around from him back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tf9cih2vs8

He didn't clunk a single contested mark on that tape (and it/s 6:30 long) so if that's what we drafted him for then we were watching the wrong player and called the wrong name. It's his around the ground and around the contest work that really stands out, which is exactly what we've gotten from him in his career thus far.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #212
Yep, that's fair enough, my point is you draft mids to play mid and rucks to play ruck. Both should have the attributes to match their position.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #213
I doubt we drafted SpecialK for marking, his deal is like his nickname suggests The Tractor. He will run through packs at stoppages or inflict carnage on opposition mids with bone crunching tackles. As a tap ruckmen he was probably 3rd behind Warnock and Hampson last season, and as a marking option he was well behind Hendo and Rowe.

The only ~200cm tall /ruck we have that manages to clunks marks from just about any scenario is Rowe. Rowe is a great defensive mark as well.

Casboult has great hands launching from behind or when he is clear on the lead, but put him at the front of the pack or in a body on body and he turns to butter. His fitness is reported to be way up this pre-season, lets hope his aggression goes up as well.

Kreuzer is not a bad pack mark but he isn;t a good one either, in any case with his injury history do we really want to risk losing him around the ground just to get a pack park?

Wood will provide a good forward marking option if he can get himself fit, but I see him as a distant option assuming Waite, Hendo and Walker are fit.

I suspect the smoky in the pack around the ground this season is going to be Watson. My source says he has dropped kilos, improved endurance and strength for the triple crown. He is the size to do the job, he will not be so timid this coming season if he continues his improvement from last season.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #214
I doubt we drafted SpecialK for marking, his deal is like his nickname suggests The Tractor. He will run through packs at stoppages or inflict carnage on opposition mids with bone crunching tackles. As a tap ruckmen he was probably 3rd behind Warnock and Hampson last season, and as a marking option he was well behind Hendo and Rowe.

The only ~200cm tall /ruck we have that manages to clunks marks from just about any scenario is Rowe. Rowe is a great defensive mark as well.

Casboult has great hands launching from behind or when he is clear on the lead, but put him at the front of the pack or in a body on body and he turns to butter. His fitness is reported to be way up this pre-season, lets hope his aggression goes up as well.

Kreuzer is not a bad pack mark but he isn;t a good one either, in any case with his injury history do we really want to risk losing him around the ground just to get a pack park?

Wood will provide a good forward marking option if he can get himself fit, but I see him as a distant option assuming Waite, Hendo and Walker are fit.

I suspect the smoky in the pack around the ground this season is going to be Watson. My source says he has dropped kilos, improved endurance and strength for the triple crown. He is the size to do the job, he will not be so timid this coming season if he continues his improvement from last season.
Has a very cool head (no pun intended) under pressure also.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #215
The recruitment of Wood would suggest that Kreuzer may be deployed as the second ruck behind Warnock more often, and that Mick sees Kreuzer that way other than a first ruck. This would be the perfect scenario, we just need Kreuzer to be able to get more of the ball around the ground and he could be a matchup nightmare, we know he is tough and courageous, he just needs a bit of nasty as well!

Reply #216
I would ignore Cameron Wood in this discussion.  He has been picked up as insurance in case both Warnock and Kreuzer both go down injured.

His recruitment indicates nothing and as of right now, with a fit list, he is third in line for an elevation behind Scotland and Cachia.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #217
I would ignore Cameron Wood in this discussion.  He has been picked up as insurance in case both Warnock and Kreuzer both go down injured.

His recruitment indicates nothing and as of right now, with a fit list, he is third in line for an elevation behind Scotland and Cachia.

Who got Duigan's spot?

Reply #218
Delete.

Reply #219
MK, Rowe, Cas and RW206 are our ruck options. I am hopeful one will have a breakout year of sorts as we desperately need it!

Reply #220
Alternate 22, with a view toward a more flexible tall forward structure and a view to developing some tall forwards to play together. in the future. Hopefully we can snare a Hugh Goddard or Pat McCartin in this year's upcoming u18 ND. Cam Giles could come into calculations as the season progresses and am optimistic about his prospects. I think Waite, Henderson and Kreuzer (with Warnock rucking) would be the beginning point round 1 if all are hopefully fit then we'll see how we go.

B: Tuohy, Jamison, White
Hb: Walker, Waite, Simpson
C: Thomas, Gibbs, Judd
Hf: Watson, Henderson, Menzel
F: Garlett, Casboult, Everitt
Foll: Kreuzer, Murphy
Rov: Carrazzo
I/c: Curnow, McLean, Scotland, Yarran
Emerg: Docherty, Graham, Lucas, Warnock

Reply #221
Young mids in Graham, Menzel (for the future), Cripps and Holman along with Kane Lucas and recruit Sam Docherty will get their opportunities no doubt. They'll play a combination of small/mid forward and onball to develop. Cripps moreso as a starting mid but will need to boost his tank which will happen in time. Thats 6 runners/onballers/flankers that we can add to the mix that hopefuly are the future of the club. Im not discounting Chris Yarran also so with 7 younger types with skill and pace that we have on the list we canb add them to the depth of mids and hopefully we get a breakout year from a couple of these blokes. Loking toward Yarra, Lucas, Dochery and Graham to provide some extra spark and quality depth to the midfield ranks this year!

Reply #222

Are Scotland and Cachia both nominated rookies?....if so they dont need promoting and Wood could be added to the list in place of Duigan.
I think Wood will play games and be a threat to Warnock's future if the latter doesnt start taking some marks and getting more of the ball...

Reply #223
@EB1
I think you are probably right about Wood Elwood - MM stated he is insurance and that may well have been meant in more ways than just the obvious!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #224

Who got Duigan's spot?

Nobody yet.  The actual thought process that we would elevate a ruckman in place of a guy like Duigan doesnt sit well with me, particularly when we have 2 medium forwards/defenders on the list that are likely to have been recruited in the case that Duigan's body gave way.  I was puzzled about why we would take 2 of them, and that question was answered as soon as Duigan stopped being able to prepare for next year.  They gave him the chance to get back again, and hedged their bets.

Wood is insurance for Kreuzer or Warnock.  He is not a better footballer than either, and I see no value of putting him on our senior list unless one or both of those two are unavailable and am expecting Wood to remain on the rookie list unless he is excelling in training over the other two and simply cannot be held out of our best 22.

It makes no sense to just hand over a list spot to a rookie that has not earned it as yet, and I think its folly to make too many assumptions over who is getting that spot, but I think Wood would be the final option.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson