Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 8: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon (Read 33377 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 8: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #180
Seriously, are we joking here?

Lamb is nothing more than a gnat. If a Siciliy or Goddard and/or that stupid (and very clearly Gpoddard at least is) to get sucked in - great.

I smell nanny state.

If Dusty cops some real attention - again, so what. He gets away with his high fend off multiple times every week....

Bigger fish to fry me thinks.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #181
Goddard wants players like Lamb to lay down and be his patsy.

Not so long ago Lamb was a patsy, we all complained about him, now that he's turned and become a bit more aggressive after years of being a victim the old Bullies re all complaining. It's archetypal bully behaviour, the bullies are now complaining about being unfairly treated when they don't get their way!

But this is the AFLs fault, they created this situation because they don't officiate the game the same way for all players, the AFL favourites get a golden run like Dusty and his throat fend offs!

I nearly vomited last season when Dimma came out and complained about Dusty being unfairly targeted, a week or so after the media ran footage of Dusty pressing his thumb into someone's oesophagus.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #182
I don't really care which team does it, it's cr@p and it needs to go.

I disagree though.

I believe you are blanket banning something that is already covered in the rules of the game, and jumping up and down about not much.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #183
It is covered in the rules the game.

I guess the problem is to what extent do you enforce those rules.

Prohibited Contact and Payment of Free Kick
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player where they
are satisfied that the Player has made Prohibited Contact with an
opposition Player.

A Player makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player 
if the Player:
(a) makes contact or attempts to make contact with any part 
of their body with an opposition Player in a manner likely to 
cause injury;
(i) above the shoulders (including the top of the shoulders); or
(ii) below the knees.

(b)pushes an opposition Player in the back, unless such contact
is incidental to a Marking contest and the Player is legitimately
Marking, attempting to Mark or spoil the football;

(c) holds an opposition Player who is not in possession 
of the football;

(d) unduly pushes, bumps, blocks, holds an opposition Player or
deliberately interferes with the arms of an opposition Player, 
who is in the act of Marking or attempting to Mark the football;

(e) pushes, bumps, holds or blocks an opposition Player when the
football is further than 5 metres away from the opposition
Player or is out of play;

(f) Charges an opposition Player;

(g)trips or attempts to trip an opposition Player, whether by the use
of hand, arm, foot or leg;

(h) kicks or attempts to kick an opposition Player, unless contact is
accidentally made whilst the Player is Kicking the football;

(i) strikes or attempts to strike an opposition Player, whether by
hand, fist, arm, knee or head;

(j) holds or throws an opposition Player after that Player has
disposed of the football;

(k)engages in rough conduct against an opposition Player which in
the circumstances is unreasonable;

(l) Kicks or attempts to Kick the football in a manner likely to cause
injury; or

(m) bumps or makes forceful contact to an opposition Player from
front-on when that Player has their head down over the football.

Reply #184

opposition Player.

if the Player:

of the football;

Enforcement of this would stop those stupid situations were three or four players maul each other or form the stack of bodies. There is the ball carrier and the tackler, the next player who joins in should be penalised for holding the man.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #185
Something which has crept into the game which I don't like is shepherding the man on the mark or guarding the kick in after a point.
People say that it leaves a team a player short but I think that it's fundamentally unfair and that the player standing the mark should be given a fair opportunity to tackle should his opponent elect to try and run around him.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #186

opposition Player.

if the Player:

of the football;

(i) strikes or attempts to strike an opposition Player, whether by
hand, fist, arm, knee or head;

15.4.5 (c) happens at every stoppage in every AFL game.

15.4.5 (i) - well, what constitutes "striking" ? The free dictionary that came with my computer makes it pretty clear to me.

Reply #187
Something which has crept into the game which I don't like is shepherding the man on the mark or guarding the kick in after a point.
People say that it leaves a team a player short but I think that it's fundamentally unfair and that the player standing the mark should be given a fair opportunity to tackle should his opponent elect to try and run around him.

Yeah, absolutely...the kicker is a protected species...the bloke on the mark is his direct opponent & should be allowed to stand the mark, & respond to play on attempts without being immediately impeded.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #188
Just listening to Ragsy on SEN who was saying that the in the back rule is virtually being ignored atm by umpires when a player is tackled with even three or four other players following the tackler into the tackled player's back. He was also bemoaning the clustering of players around the contested ball and the resulting general congestion, saying that in his day players just did not have the running capacity to do that and so such congestion was not a problem. Food for thought.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #189
Just listening to Ragsy on SEN who was saying that the in the back rule is virtually being ignored atm by umpires when a player is tackled with even three or four other players following the tackler into the tackled player's back. He was also bemoaning the clustering of players around the contested ball and the resulting general congestion, saying that in his day players just did not have the running capacity to do that and so such congestion was not a problem. Food for thought.

Leigh Matthews has for a few years advocated rules to cap the maximum number of players at a stoppage. Without getting into the nut and bolts / details, in principle I agree 100%.

Reply #190
Leigh Matthews has for a few years advocated rules to cap the maximum number of players at a stoppage. Without getting into the nut and bolts / details, in principle I agree 100%.

I think Ragsy was talking about congestion in general play as well as at stoppages Paul.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #191
I think Ragsy was talking about congestion in general play as well as at stoppages Paul.

Fair enough, Matthews was talking about stoppages as it would be very hard to legislate against in general play

Reply #192
Yeah, absolutely...the kicker is a protected species...the bloke on the mark is his direct opponent & should be allowed to stand the mark, & respond to play on attempts without being immediately impeded.

There's an easy fix. THE MAN ON THE MARK MUST STAY ON THE MARK. He can jump up and down but must not be allowed to move laterally at all. He is protected by a 5m no go zone for opposition players. As soon as the player with the ball moves off his line, umpire calls play on and away we go.

Reply #193

This is actually against the rules, and play is pulled back.  You cannot shepherd the man on the mark until play on has been called by the umpire.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #194
Wow, we are worried about Lamb niggling, while CheatsFC sledge Lamb about the murder of his father when he was just a little tacker!

How low are CheatsFC prepared to go, add that to the Murphy sledges and we are looking squeaky clean!
The Force Awakens!