Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 8: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon (Read 33398 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 8: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #105
Rowe & Weiterinng very different players, Rowe is the pillar , no coincidence Jones has rediscovered form since Rowe is back in the team
Agreed. Rowe has been great albeit not flashy since returning. Having a stronger body down back to work with Jones has really helped him find form.

On current form the player most likely to make way for Weitering is Plowman.

Reply #106
Rowe & Weiterinng very different players, Rowe is the pillar , no coincidence Jones has rediscovered form since Rowe is back in the team

I just think that long term Weitering will be the general of our back six and we might as well put the building blocks into place now.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #107
Getting Marchbank back means we don't have to play O'Shea which would be a massive improvement.

Murphy in for Graham is another obvious improvement. Although Cripps won't be captain any more which will hurt.

Hopefully Silvagni gets back in a spot which gets him around the ball a bit more.

Marchbank needs a couple of games in the twos IMO before he plays seniors IMo, was really rusty last time I saw him play and needs the Weitering treatment in the NB's to get touch......I'm not sold on Jack as a midfielder......disposal is average and you are going to have to be very picky and choosy  who he plays on as he is so slow....

Reply #108
Kruddler was on about this earlier in the season and I've come around to agreeing with him.

Jones and Rowe were the right combination for Essendon.
Weitering only plays in the backline if the match-up is a better option.

The problem is Weitering is too good a player to be playing VFL.
He doesn't play the Rowe role...it has to be the Jones one.
While Jones performs we have to find another role for Weitering...rotation off the bench for Jones, wing....or as Barbs suggests maybe the Plowman one.

Eventually both Jones and Rowe will be gone and that's when Weitering steps in... but it might be a few years down the track.
The other option is Weitering becomes a "gold plated" trade option

Let's not forget Weitering has struggled at senior level this year.

Reply #109
Freo will be tough work IMO......Sandilands gives them 1st use and Fyfe is very hard to contain given his size and pace....

Stkilda have failed in their rebuild IMO and I expect Richardson to be under pressure to hold his job, very small kids and really lack leadership without Riewoldt....

From what I saw last night Freo have quite a few players with average skills who turn it over under little or no pressure, every team has a few gun players and Fyfe definitely fits that description.
St Kilda have misfired, it will be a long road back.
We should beat both of them.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #110
Kruddler was on about this earlier in the season and I've come around to agreeing with him.

While Jones performs we have to find another role for Weitering...rotation off the bench for Jones, wing....or as Barbs suggests maybe the Plowman one.

Eventually both Jones and Rowe will be gone and that's when Weitering steps in... but it might be a few years down the track.

Only problem there is Weitering won't be able to get to as many contests and hence effect as many spoils as Jones does. It's a real head scratcher re what to do with Weitering, not many slow forwards around these days.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #111

An option would be for Jones to play Levi's role, something he was brilliant at in the VFL before his promotion. Running round on the ball, smashing bodies all over the place was something he looked suited to. We picked a much better structure yesterday so I'd hate to go back to previous structures.

Reply #112
Freo will be tough work IMO......Sandilands gives them 1st use and Fyfe is very hard to contain given his size and pace....

Stkilda have failed in their rebuild IMO and I expect Richardson to be under pressure to hold his job, very small kids and really lack leadership without Riewoldt....

As bad as both those teams might be, I still reckon beating both will be harder than it seems. The Saints game is R17, so exactly 2 months from today. Realistically it's way too much in the future to make any meaningful calls.

Playing Freo at Etihad may give us some sort of dubious advantage - the week before they play the Crows in Perth, who hopefully will give them a good going over to help us somewhat.

Reply #113
Only problem there is Weitering won't be able to get to as many contests and hence effect as many spoils as Jones does. It's a real head scratcher re what to do with Weitering, not many slow forwards around these days.

It's actually got me beat.
But we have his strengths covered.
He's a talent but it might be that his greatest value for us would be on the trade table.

An option would be for Jones to play Levi's role, something he was brilliant at in the VFL before his promotion. Running round on the ball, smashing bodies all over the place was something he looked suited to. We picked a much better structure yesterday so I'd hate to go back to previous structures.

Before we throw Weitering to the wolves I'd like to give that option a try.
I reckon Jones would be a better forward/ruck now having played back for a bit.

Reply #114

Before we throw Weitering to the wolves I'd like to give that option a try.
I reckon Jones would be a better forward now having played back for a bit.
Like Levi, he's was a much better forward when he gets a run in the ruck.

Reply #115

Weitering will intercept mark all day but defending body on body is where I still have a question mark against him......I'd prefer Marchbank to replace OShea when Marchbank is fit......I reckon OShea is better at ground level than Weitering and while a worse kick might defend better one on one as well but Marchbank is a better allround player than both of them at this stage.
Rowe and Jones seem to compliment each other ok and while Rowe is no gifted footballer he seems to give us some solidarity down back which helps numpties like OShea and Mullet be better footballers...

Reply #116
For now at least I see Weiters as an alternative to Plowman or Marchbank. Leave Rowe and Jones where they are, imo that is working fine.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #117
Agreed. Rowe has been great albeit not flashy since returning. Having a stronger body down back to work with Jones has really helped him find form.

On current form the player most likely to make way for Weitering is Plowman.

Rowe is definitely a long way in front of Weitering right now. Not even close that one.

Plowman is making a few blues but also does some good things - but never flashy. Which can be a good thing but for him it feels a bit like he's just passing the pressure onto someone else. He refuses to be the one to take the forward kick. He just stabs it sideways 20m.

Samo needs a rest. He almost makes an impact. A lot of "almost" moments for him. One attack on the ball in the 2nd quarter I thought was embarrassing for him. He took a couple of short steps when he had the opportunity to put his body through the line of the ball.

Our man from Port is the one who needs a VFL stint the most. You can't be 28 and still making those mistakes by foot.

Reply #118
Saw something really special in Paddy Dow in the last, deep in the forward pocket, burst from the pack, a Bumber hot on his heals, took a bounce, I said “wtf” have we got here, not sure what happened next, but that move was very “Spesh” :))

Reply #119
I thought the same thing, can't wait to watch him play in a couple of years from now