Skip to main content
Topic: Exhibition Match: Northern Blues vs U18's (Read 10095 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Exhibition Match: Northern Blues vs U18's

Reply #15
Maybe give Jones a go this week on Charlie Dixon who will be a big handful?

Who would you drop for Jones?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
Who would you drop for Jones?

I wouldn't like to "drop" anybody from our defence really, but maybe one of them, or even from elsewhere, could do with a rest? This would be primarily about finding out about Jones as a defender rather than punishing a player for their performance. This is another year of development and major list management decisions is it not? Don't we need to make sure all options are considered?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #17
I wouldn't like to "drop" anybody from our defence really, but maybe one of them, or even from elsewhere, could do with a rest? This would be primarily about finding out about Jones as a defender rather than punishing a player for their performance. This is another year of development and major list management decisions is it not? Don't we need to make sure all options are considered?

The blokes currently in our back half, including Simon White, are performing very well.  The more they play together, the better they will work as a defensive unit and that's particularly important for Williamson, Macreadie and Marchbank.  I wouldn't 'rest' any of them but I wouldn't mind Jones being given an opportunity if a vacancy comes up.

I'd like to see Jones succeed but I think the die is cast and his spot on the list is earmarked for someone else.  There's only one person who can change that by playing out of his skin in whatever position and/or team he's named.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
The blokes currently in our back half, including Simon White, are performing very well.  The more they play together, the better they will work as a defensive unit and that's particularly important for Williamson, Macreadie and Marchbank.  I wouldn't 'rest' any of them but I wouldn't mind Jones being given an opportunity if a vacancy comes up.

I'd like to see Jones succeed but I think the die is cast and his spot on the list is earmarked for someone else.  There's only one person who can change that by playing out of his skin in whatever position and/or team he's named.

Hopefully then he will be given the opportunity to play in defence more in the NBs before any decision is made as to his future with us. I think his goose is probably well cooked as a forward now as he's had plenty of chances there.

Reply #19
Maybe give Jones a go this week on Charlie Dixon who will be a big handful?
Not the worst move we could make. Silvagni has also put his hand up. Team balance will be an interesting thing this year, especially with the kids.
Now that Jones has moved back, he does deserve a go, whether this week or sometime soon. Rowe managed to turn into a more than useful defender from an underperforming forward. Jones has one advantage over him: pace.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #20
Re: Jones
Got to be worth a try down back. Ive not noticed his pace, but he can hurt in the marking contest. For mine, his main limitation is inability to read play and position himself. He often gets caught flat footed, perhaps because he 'didn't see that coming'.
It's a year for development after all. There will be times when the youngsters need a rest I'd imagine.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #21
Re: Jones
Got to be worth a try down back. Ive not noticed his pace, but he can hurt in the marking contest. For mine, his main limitation is inability to read play and position himself. He often gets caught flat footed, perhaps because he 'didn't see that coming'.
It's a year for development after all. There will be times when the youngsters need a rest I'd imagine.

That's what concerns me about Jones as a defender.  He would probably do OK if his opponent took him to contests.  It would be a different matter if he was matched with an opponent with good running patterns and who could find space.

Reply #22
That's what concerns me about Jones as a defender.  He would probably do OK if his opponent took him to contests.  It would be a different matter if he was matched with an opponent with good running patterns and who could find space.

Wouldnt have minded trying him vs Lynch....Rowe was too slow and everyone else too small.....not sure why we are such slow learners, some players continue to burn us every match year in year out but we setup the same way each time with the same players....ie Martin, Steven and now Lynch..
Jones might have had more leg speed and at least could have helped the likes of Rowe as second man up or he could have filled the hole in front of Lynch.....I think we are often one tall short overall and at times miss that tall allrounder who could play both ends. The Weitering experiment hasnt really worked and I think I would like an alternative to help him out as well...

Reply #23
Wouldnt have minded trying him vs Lynch....Rowe was too slow and everyone else too small.....not sure why we are such slow learners, some players continue to burn us every match year in year out but we setup the same way each time with the same players....ie Martin, Steven and now Lynch..
Jones might have had more leg speed and at least could have helped the likes of Rowe as second man up or he could have filled the hole in front of Lynch.....I think we are often one tall short overall and at times miss that tall allrounder who could play both ends. The Weitering experiment hasnt really worked and I think I would like an alternative to help him out as well...
[/b]

In a better world, that was Hendo. Unfortunately his position at the club became untenable. Shame.

Reply #24
[/b]

In a better world, that was Hendo. Unfortunately his position at the club became untenable. Shame.

You can put Jaksch in that category too....I reckon one of them needs to be tried and we are one tall short......
Peter Wright ended up on Plowman and that reminded me of when we burnt Andrew Walker playing him on the likes of Travis Cloke....

Reply #25
You can put Jaksch in that category too....I reckon one of them needs to be tried and we are one tall short......
Peter Wright ended up on Plowman and that reminded me of when we burnt Andrew Walker playing him on the likes of Travis Cloke....

We've got a history of throwing players to the wolves EB. I won't nominate any for fear of resurrecting a hornet's nest!  :D

Reply #26
[/b]

My thought exactly. Oh well, we move on..
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #27

Jones might have had more leg speed and at least could have helped the likes of Rowe as second man up or he could have filled the hole in front of Lynch.....I think we are often one tall short overall and at times miss that tall allrounder who could play both ends.

Jones is really quite fast - he just lacks a big tank  - he can adjust to the ball in the air - just isn't so good knowing where to lead - gets his hand to the ball in nearly every marking contest - just isn't very good at holding it at the first grab

What could have made him a decent defender is his closing speed and reach to spoil - something that Jamo had before injuries got in the way

Reply #28
You know Rodent, I reckon you're onto something here.  Must be worth a shot.

I guess we can't shift him back because we aren't exactly over stocked with KPFs at any level.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #29
Good to see talk about Jones the defender. We suggested this last year as well.

As Ye Rat O' the River mentioned, the bloke is quick and gets his hands to the aggott and is aggressive on the deck with tackling etc. Being led to the ball would help him no end and I agree that on two metre Peter he would have caught him and created a contest and headache for the opposition coach.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17