Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 13: Pre Game posturing: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 16009 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 13: Pre Game posturing: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #15
I am not sure I like a forward line with H, Casboult & SOS.

Will be interesting to see how it goes, whilst SOS has good ground/tackling pressure, I am still not comfortable we will have enough when the ball goes to ground.

In saying that, it is just that in H's highlights you don't see a lot of ground pressure, those who see him regularly might be able to correct that, which would be great.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #16

Will be interesting to see how it goes, whilst SOS has good ground/tackling pressure, I am still not comfortable we will have enough when the ball goes to ground.

In saying that, it is just that in H's highlights you don't see a lot of ground pressure, those who see him regularly might be able to correct that, which would be great.

I think it depends on the attributes of the other 3.

If the other 3 are Matthew Wright, Jed Lamb and a resting midfielder or even a Dennis Armfield (type) then there should be enough accountability going both ways to make it ok.

Wright and Lamb were happy to work up the ground, and JSOS plays as a lead up forward who pitches in around the midfield anyway.

Technically, we play one tall, with another pinch hitting and going Mckay and Levi means we are mixing it up to two talls and a medium.

Even if it doesnt work now, it seems to be a better balance of players for the future which is what we are supposed to be building towards anyway which ratifies the thought process IMHO.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #17
I'd say he's coming for for ACOS. McKay and Casboult will then play as key forwards. SOS will be forward too.

That's how I see it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #18

That's what we had with Weitering, Casboult and SOS. SOS isn't a key forward therefore you'd leave Casboult to play as the only key forward as well as a ruck. It's normal to have two forwards and a 3rd tall.

Reply #19
No I more than understand that, well there isn't really a 'normal' these days actually.. but I know what you are saying.

My worry is whether H has pace, because 2 KP and a medium/tall are fine, but I think Casboult lacks forward intensity and if H does (again, not saying he does but I haven't seen a lot on highlight reels to suggest he is a forward pressure type player) then I think that might be 2 of the same type and just might not cut it.

I think Weitering has more mobility than Cas and I would be much more open to a forward line with Weitering and Casboult or Weitering and H than H and Casboult.

RR or baggers might alleviate my fear and suggest H is more than capable when it hits the deck and applying defensive pressure.

Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #20
My worry is whether H has pace, because 2 KP and a medium/tall are fine, but I think Casboult lacks forward intensity and if H does (again, not saying he does but I haven't seen a lot on highlight reels to suggest he is a forward pressure type player) then I think that might be 2 of the same type and just might not cut it.

McKay has plenty of pace, I think he's above average for a player of his size, and he seriously smashes packs.

In fact I'd say the worry is he'd injure himself smashing packs, watching him at VFL level his marking reminds me of Sticks smashing packs. I'd put him as way more aggressive and physical than Casboult, slightly less aggressive than Sticks or Johnathon Brown.

McKay's not as bulky or strong as Casboult, not yet anyway, but Casboult often fails to make use of that strength anyway!

McKay's well off being a useful ruck option, at the moment it's not his go, I think Joe Daniher is probably his closest match excluding his twin brother.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
McKay has plenty of pace, I think he's above average for a player of his size, and he seriously smashes packs.

In fact I'd say the worry is he'd injure himself smashing packs, watching him at VFL level his marking reminds me of Sticks smashing packs. I'd put him as way more aggressive and physical than Casboult, slightly less aggressive than Sticks or Johnathon Brown.

McKay's not as bulky or strong as Casboult, not yet anyway, but Casboult often fails to make use of that strength anyway!

McKay's well off being a useful ruck option, at the moment it's not his go, I think Joe Daniher is probably his closest match excluding his twin brother.

Joe ain't 204!

But fair comparison absolutely.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #22
Still too early for McKay BUT we did lack an extra marking target when going forward against GWS last Sunday especially when Casboult was rucking.

Reply #23
Still too early for McKay BUT we did lack an extra marking target when going forward against GWS last Sunday especially when Casboult was rucking.

This is what I was thinking, when Casboult is second rucking and Charlie is pushing up high and Kreuzer is off we don't really have anyone there. Maybe with another marking target down there like McKay, Casboult gets even better as he has less defenders sagging off onto him and vice versa. Imagine Charlie left with a 3rd tall defender, once he leaps that poor bloke will have no chance. Not to mention SOS with the fourth defender.

With Wright down there, I would also like to see us develop Fisher as a real crafty forward mid ala Ablett early days with Geelong. He has good pace and lateral movement, has a killer sidestep and a great leftie.

Reply #24

Is it too early?

Putting Cuningham in the 1s when his form in the 2s was pretty so so did wonders for him...

Harry can play, really play and is hungry. That's a good start. Very hard match up and he's bloody good below his knees for a bloke of his size, remarkably good.

The Suns' talls in their backline last week?

May   193cm
Leslie   197cm (15 games only)
Joyce    191cm (SoJ match up)
Kolod... 190cm

So, who mans Levi at 199cm and Harry at 204cm?

Leslie has replaced Thompson? What's happened to him? not listed as injured.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #25

He's been playing well, in form in the VFL, he ready to at least experience footy at the highest level.

Reply #26
No I more than understand that, well there isn't really a 'normal' these days actually.. but I know what you are saying.

I think Weitering has more mobility than Cas and I would be much more open to a forward line with Weitering and Casboult or Weitering and H than H and Casboult.

RR or baggers might alleviate my fear and suggest H is more than capable when it hits the deck and applying defensive pressure.

Got pace, reads and marks well, tackles well, playing good footy in the VFL. Just the type we need.

Reply #27
Got pace, reads and marks well, tackles well, playing good footy in the VFL. Just the type we need.

And time to see how he goes at senior level imo.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #28
Anyone knows what he weighs?

Must be high 90s, at least, surely?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #29

I don't have an issue with H playing, not at all. In fact I am dying to see him in the big time.
I would just perhaps like us to look at our structure a little and consider if we play Cas or if we move another taller player out and bring in some real pace at the base of the packs if we do play Cas and H together, hence the thought of giving SOS a run in the backline for a week.

I don't think there would be too many that don't want to see H at this level, most people are dying for it (me included).

Goals for 2017
=============