Skip to main content
Topic: Team selection disection (Read 25307 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Team selection disection

Reply #30
Got a nice long stride has Cripps and a good look away move, bit like Pendlebury who is slow but has the long stride and basketball hesitation/ head fake moves and being a leftie has most players going the wrong way..

Yes, I agree with all that, but it highlights the fact that he relies on tricks rather than pace to get free. IMO, this will hold him in good stead for the future, because what he relies on doesn't diminish with age or injury, unlike the fast players, where usually their speed is the first thing that goes.

Reply #31
i reckon he's quite slippery for a guy hiz size.

After all taller than any of Fev, Dunstall, Riewoldt (x2), Rance etc etc.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #32
Got a nice long stride has Cripps and a good look away move, bit like Pendlebury who is slow but has the long stride and basketball hesitation/ head fake moves and being a leftie has most players going the wrong way..

I remember Rhys-Jones had that loping kind of running style and was called the "Slo-Mo Man" because it looked like he was running in slow motion. He was very slippery though and manged to break away plenty!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #33
That's fair enough, but don't forget, he's only a few cms taller and a few kgs heavier than Cripps, so he wouldn't be holding proceedings up too much in comparison.

Cripps is an outlier. Nobody his size has ever been able to do what he has done. Even then, Cripps is rather average by foot and rarely attempts a kick from a stoppage. His vision is what sets him apart. His size facilitates that.

Reply #34
Cripps is an outlier. Nobody his size has ever been able to do what he has done. Even then, Cripps is rather average by foot and rarely attempts a kick from a stoppage. His vision is what sets him apart. His size facilitates that.

he is not average by foot, that is BS.

Compare to Gibbs' kicks from stoppages - awesome kicks over 5m to 25m around corners, onto the chest of the opposition...

It's about playing the percentages....  ::) ::)

Who would have thought? Not you, clearly.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #35

Adam Goodes gave it a fair go

Reply #36
Adam Goodes gave it a fair go

You mean the 2-time brownlow medalist and 372 game premiership Yeah, he'd be another outlier. How many of them have their been in the history of the game you reckon?

FYI, he's only 191cm.

Reply #39
he is not average by foot, that is BS.

Compare to Gibbs' kicks from stoppages - awesome kicks over 5m to 25m around corners, onto the chest of the opposition...

It's about playing the percentages....  ::) ::)

Who would have thought? Not you, clearly.....

Why is it when someone says the word 'average' people lose their crap.

The simple definition of the word means that on any given list, half of the blokes are below average in terms of kicking ability.

Yes, GIbbs kicking from stoppages was pretty bad....as is most people. Gibbs kicking around the ground is elite.

So by extension, If Gibbs is an elite kick, but struggles around stoppages, what do you think an average kick like Cripps would be like from stoppages?

There is a reason he doesn't kick much, especially from stoppages....he's playing the %'s.

If you've got some time, compare the kick to handball ratio of the 2 players and see why one prefers to kick and the other prefers to handball.

Reply #40
i'll take that as a concession.  8)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #41
i'll take that as a concession.  8)

So he handballs because he is an average kick is a concession?

But its BS that he's an average kick?

Your 'logic' is interesting to say the least.

Reply #42
Why is it when someone says the word 'average' people lose their crap.

The simple definition of the word means that on any given list, half of the blokes are below average in terms of kicking ability.

Yes, GIbbs kicking from stoppages was pretty bad....as is most people. Gibbs kicking around the ground is elite.

So by extension, If Gibbs is an elite kick, but struggles around stoppages, what do you think an average kick like Cripps would be like from stoppages?

There is a reason he doesn't kick much, especially from stoppages....he's playing the %'s.

If you've got some time, compare the kick to handball ratio of the 2 players and see why one prefers to kick and the other prefers to handball.

Sorry Kruddler, but that’s not what average means.  Half of the list will be below the mean but the average could be above or below the mean.

Cripps and Gibbs both execute many of their disposals under more pressure than many other players and that results in a disposal efficiency of 68.7% and 69.8% respectively.  The difference is not statistically significant but I’d argue that, as Gibbs gets more uncontested possessions, his disposal efficiency should be better.

I like Gibbs as a player and was sorry to see him go.  However, one thing that irked me was his tendency to fluff kicks when under minimal pressure; the missed goal against Hawthorn for example.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #43
So he handballs because he is an average kick is a concession?

But its BS that he's an average kick?

Your 'logic' is interesting to say the least.

One gentle piece of advice Kruddler, stick to what you're good at, ok?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #44
Sorry Kruddler, but that’s not what average means.  Half of the list will be below the mean but the average could be above or below the mean.

Cripps and Gibbs both execute many of their disposals under more pressure than many other players and that results in a disposal efficiency of 68.7% and 69.8% respectively.  The difference is not statistically significant but I’d argue that, as Gibbs gets more uncontested possessions, his disposal efficiency should be better.

I like Gibbs as a player and was sorry to see him go.  However, one thing that irked me was his tendency to fluff kicks when under minimal pressure; the missed goal against Hawthorn for example.

I'm making the point that roughly half of the AFL is 'average or below' in terms of kicking.  You are correct in what you say, but it serves little purpose and the point i make is still valid. Nobody considers anybody 'average'. To suggest someone could be is always taken as an insult. Its clear that not everyone can be above average.....unless they play for the club you support and you have your navy coloured glasses on. ;)

re DE%'s....
I was wondering if someone was going to compare them.
I'd argue this, a kick is a harder skill to execute and thus players who kick more have a lower % compared to those who simply handball.
The longest kick people attempt? Lets just suggest 50m, but you could argue more.
The shortest kick? Basically 15m to be considered a mark is about right, but you could argue less. The number of kicks people attempt above 50 is probably equal to those below 15, so 15-50m is the range.
Handballs? anything from 0.5m up to maybe 10m....you rarely see bigger, and if you do its usually just to space.

Difficulty level is clearly harder with kicking.

That being said, you also can't analyze simply kicks vs handballs either. As generally the more skilled players attempt higher degree of difficulty kicks. A couple of perfect examples to that are Eddie Betts and Stevie J. They do things a ruckman would never even think is an option. It doesn't always come off, but attempting them drops their %'s compared to if they took the easy option all the time.....which most ruckman do. So much so, some rucks dont even attempt a kick at all!

So that being said, use %'s to compare, sure, but watch the game to get the whole picture.

FWIW, Cripps goal kicking efforts over his career - 23.32 (42%)...or 33% if you go by AFL.com.au stats which include complete misses.

So yes, i stand by my comments that Cripps is average by foot....which is probably doing him a favour.

Note: This does not mean Cripps is not an elite player, nor does it mean i love him any less. Even superman had his kryptonite.