Skip to main content
Topic: Give Harry a go (Read 49197 times) previous topic - next topic

Give Harry a go

:-\He's in his third year now (though his first he was probably never destined to play). Looking at Casboult on the tv the other night, it looks like he's peaked and won't be the focal point we need him to be. If Harry is fit and strong he needs to be in so we can find out if he is any good, and we need to persist with him for a while. Give him a six game run and see what he does. He gets his chance and (hopefully) he is on the end of better delivery so he can shine.

I've no ideas about his second efforts , work ethic etc.

thoughts?

Re: Give Harry a go

Reply #1
Um I just saw that McKay came up in a different thread recently. Same point was being made. Sorry for the double up.

Reply #2
Um I just saw that McKay came up in a different thread recently. Same point was being made. Sorry for the double up.

No problem...Let's run it as a separate thread for a couple of days.
See whether other folks have an opinion.

For mine...I'd like to see him play a game or two at VFL level and get a bag or two before we promote him. When we do I agree that he should be given a string of games (4-6)

However if Kreuzer doesn't come up we may find he's in the side ;)

Reply #3
He needs to show some form at VFL level I think, he's done nothing at this stage to justify getting a game. I really hope he kicks 4 or 5 a couple of weeks in a row and starts knocking the door down to get a game!

Reply #4
I was in favour of keeping him in the team despite his poor performances in the JLT games.  However, I’m more than happy to concede that Bolts and co are much better judges of where Harry is at and what is best for his development.

I thought Casboult did OK on Thursday in keeping Rance relatively quiet and stepping up when required to shoulder the ruck duties.  I don’t think Harry is anywhere near taking on those burdens.

I wouldn’t mind Harry getting a run in the first 22, provided that he earns his place and is playing alongside Levi rather than instead of.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
I thought Casboult did OK on Thursday in keeping Rance relatively quiet

Yeah and Gary Ablett did okay keeping Steven Silvagni quiet in the 1995 Grand Final.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #6
Kerr has started to show something at VFL level, however is not yet ready for promotion. Harry McKay likewise has shown glimpses but not anything consistently.

Kerr could play as a second tall and offers run and pressure inside 50, Mckay is more ruck relief if not playing forward, I just don't think he's physically ready for that yet at AFL level.

What do others think?

Reply #7
I was in favour of keeping him in the team despite his poor performances in the JLT games.  However, I’m more than happy to concede that Bolts and co are much better judges of where Harry is at and what is best for his development.

I thought Casboult did OK on Thursday in keeping Rance relatively quiet and stepping up when required to shoulder the ruck duties.  I don’t think Harry is anywhere near taking on those burdens.

I wouldn’t mind Harry getting a run in the first 22, provided that he earns his place and is playing alongside Levi rather than instead of.

X2
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #8
Yeah and Gary Ablett did okay keeping Steven Silvagni quiet in the 1995 Grand Final.

That's right up there with some of your great pearls of wisdom MBB  ;)

For the record, Rance had 15 disposals and 3 marks.  That's significantly below his averages, particularly with his marking which, as I'm sure you know, is his strength.  Casboult had 10 disposals, 4 marks and 19 hitouts.  I'd call that a win for us  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
Casboult had one disposal inside 50, Rance gave him a bath.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #10
Casboult had one disposal inside 50, Rance gave him a bath.

So Rance isn't responsible for the possessions Levi gets outside 50?

I just watched the first quarter again and I'm more than happy to watch the rest of the game to confirm that my recollections are correct.

In the first quarter Casboult blocked Rance's run, allowing Curnow to mark and goal.  Casboult then brought the ball to ground for Curnow's second goal.

Casboult spent some time in the ruck, winning 5 centre bounces and a boundary throw in.  While that was happening, Rance got a very soft free kick.  He then took a good mark over Casboult.

Casboult then got a break on Rance but the delivery was poor and fell short of Casboult's lead.  Rance got a handpass and followed it up with a shocker that went directly to Lamb for a goal to Garlett.

So, in the first quarter Casboult was instrumental in two goals, won 6 ruck contests, and was let down by a poor kick.  Rance had one mark, two kicks and two handpasses, one of which resulted directly in a goal to us.  Who was the better player

I know that you love to pump up the performances of opposition players MBB but you're challenging reality with this line of argument  ::)

Reply #11
Harry needs more time in the VFL first.
He gave us a couple glimpses of potential in 2017, but has done very little so far this season.
A few good VFL games and then bring him up maybe.

Right now I think Kerr has gone past him.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #12
Harry needs more time in the VFL first.
He gave us a couple glimpses of potential in 2017, but has done very little so far this season.
A few good VFL games and then bring him up maybe.

Right now I think Kerr has gone past him.

Past him? Based on what output exactly and when the NBs season hasn't even started?

That's silly.

But yes, Harry needs to perform this season....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #13
So Rance isn't responsible for the possessions Levi gets outside 50?

I just watched the first quarter again and I'm more than happy to watch the rest of the game to confirm that my recollections are correct.

In the first quarter Casboult blocked Rance's run, allowing Curnow to mark and goal.  Casboult then brought the ball to ground for Curnow's second goal.

Casboult spent some time in the ruck, winning 5 centre bounces and a boundary throw in.  While that was happening, Rance got a very soft free kick.  He then took a good mark over Casboult.

Casboult then got a break on Rance but the delivery was poor and fell short of Casboult's lead.  Rance got a handpass and followed it up with a shocker that went directly to Lamb for a goal to Garlett.

So, in the first quarter Casboult was instrumental in two goals, won 6 ruck contests, and was let down by a poor kick.  Rance had one mark, two kicks and two handpasses, one of which resulted directly in a goal to us.  Who was the better player

I know that you love to pump up the performances of opposition players MBB but you're challenging reality with this line of argument  ::)

Casboult had zero possessions in the first quarter. ZERO. You're the one that needs to come back to reality.

Levi came into the game half way through the 3rd term when he went full time into the ruck while Kreuzer was injured.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #14
Past him? Based on what output exactly and when the NBs season hasn't even started?

That's silly.

But yes, Harry needs to perform this season....

I haven't attended any NB practice games but friends tell me Kerr has looked pretty good in the practice matches despite just returning from injury and needing to build his fitness. Although I believe Kerr only played partial game time, but then apparently McKay, Phillips and De Koning also only played partial game time.

Obviously Kerr is not an AFL level ruck option, despite rucking in the VFL last season. But I'd also prefer McKay not to ruck given his recent history of stress related injuries, he needs to stick to the KPP stuff for a season or so. Like Sansmere I hope McKay eventually comes into the seniors after a bag of at least 4 or 5 VFL goals, arrive in AFL with some VFL confidence! We saw last season how doing this benefited Jones.

For VFL Rnd 1 we should have a super-side, Rowe, ACoS, Williamson, Shaw, Philips, Lang and Lobbe are all expected back from injury.
The Force Awakens!