Skip to main content
Topic: Give Harry a go (Read 49245 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Give Harry a go

Reply #15
We've really got to stop pumping up Levi's tyres, he's the best of a bad lot at Carlton but in reality he's just not much good.
He had one touch before half time on Thursday night and we were running on top of the ground in the first half, it's nowhere near what's required from a senior player.
Play McKay and see what comes of it I reckon, we've signed him for four years so let's see if our judgement matches reality.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #16
We've really got to stop pumping up Levi's tyres, he's the best of a bad lot at Carlton but in reality he's just not much good.
He had one touch before half time on Thursday night and we were running on top of the ground in the first half, it's nowhere near what's required from a senior player.
Play McKay and see what comes of it I reckon, we've signed him for four years so let's see if our judgement matches reality.

And yet SOS has had 3 chances to cull him and hasn't.....

In SOS I trust.

And Harry ain't a ruckman...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #17

Not yet, and we shouldn't rush him into the center square, but he does take some ruck duties in F50.

However, I would also question the value of McKay taking ruck duties inside F50, a unique part of his game is his mobility and clean hands at ground level, not something 200cm types normally exhibit. We'd be better off if he was roving the stoppage!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18

Neither is Levi.
As I said, he's the best of a bad lot at Carlton but McKay might at least develop into a good footballer given the opportunity, it's obvious now that Levi won't.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #19
If SpecialK isn't fit it will almost certainly be Phillips or Lobbe that come in, probably Phillips seeing he's played part of a VFL practice match.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
I would not really be happy about bringing in Harry as primarily our ruckman. I would want him to be given a chance in the main role we hope he will eventually fill, if indeed he comes in at all.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21
I would not really be happy about bringing in Harry as primarily our ruckman. I would want him to be given a chance in the main role we hope he will eventually fill, if indeed he comes in at all.

x2....Its a pity Lobbe is injured and Philips underdone........Witts is a big unit and probably needs a tag team to wear him down,
Maybe Casboult does 80% of the ruckwork and interchanges with Harry who does the rest...
We need competition for Witts and a break even would be a win, going to get a couple of good players back are the Suns and Dew is going to have a honeymoon period, this might be a tough game.

Reply #22
@EB
I am probably going along on Sat and I am expecting a tough game.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #23

We've really got to stop assessing Levi only in the context of the negatives.

I.e. ignore his 19 hitouts, 4 marks, 1 goal and extremely effective negating impact on Rance - because he didn't get them in the time period of the match that I deem relevant.... madness.

The area of the ground that was most efficient last Thursday night was the forward line. We got a great return off a minimal number of entries. Yes SOSOS and Cas are singled out for criticism. Both were selflessly following coaches instructions to pull Rance out of the play.

I suspect the coaches would have been extremely happy with them.

Also, watch the replay and keep track of how many times we kicked to Levi vs. Rance and put the ball to Rance's advantage.

Reply #24
Casboult = Forward
Rance = Defender
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #25
If Kreuzer is out and they bring in McKay to allow Casboult to ruck, are we prepared to see Charlie getting smashed by the likes of Steven May, Kade Kolodjashnij or Rory Thompson in the second game of the season?

Because none of them will bother standing McKay at the moment, his form doesn't warrant the attention!

I agree with DJC, while Casboult's form wasn't great, he did play the decoy forward role very well.

Anyway it might be all academic, if Casboult strikes Witts in the same ruck form we probably won't be worrying too much about fast forward breaks, Witts just made Goldstein look like a 2nd banana!

There is a triplet of comparisons that seem to get to the point on this issue.

Which I'd like to support with some very basic Sesame Street logic,
One of these things is not like the other
One of these things does not belong
Can you tell which thing is not like the other
By the final siren song!

Sorry,

I've been a real Davina today!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
From the VFL review....I suspect he had limited game time as they tried to rotate players...but he probably needs to show a bit more before he displaces anyone in the senior side.

Harry McKay
Stats: 8 disposals, 3 marks, 2 inside 50s
From the coach: Harry shared his time forward with a number of key talls, where he managed to get himself in a number of positions to mark the ball but couldn’t hang on. The pleasing thing was the amount of contests he got to and we want him to keep playing with that presence.

Reply #27
@EB
I am probably going along on Sat and I am expecting a tough game.

I might wander along too Cookie...we went to the corresponding game last season where Lynch destroyed us so I am hoping we learned something... :-\

Reply #28
x2....Its a pity Lobbe is injured and Philips underdone........Witts is a big unit and probably needs a tag team to wear him down,
Maybe Casboult does 80% of the ruckwork and interchanges with Harry who does the rest...
We need competition for Witts and a break even would be a win, going to get a couple of good players back are the Suns and Dew is going to have a honeymoon period, this might be a tough game.

Actually. if Kreuzer is out, I'd ruck Casboult as he is starting to actually look like a ruckman now, and bring in Kerr, who apparently had 23 touches, 5 or 6 mark and 2 goals. He might be a touch ahead of Harry right now.

Reply #29
Actually. if Kreuzer is out, I'd ruck Casboult as he is starting to actually look like a ruckman now, and bring in Kerr, who apparently had 23 touches, 5 or 6 mark and 2 goals. He might be a touch ahead of Harry right now.

Patrick Kerr
Stats: 9 disposals, 6 marks (3 inside 50), 2 goals
From the coach: It was an encouraging game from Patty: his work-rate was high, he took a nice contested mark and got his hands to a few other opportunities while kicking two goals. His game is starting to round off well.

I like what I see of Kerr, decent size and has some good skills...neither him or Harry are tearing it up but Kerr might be one if he can get a few games might fastrack his game a bit quicker.
Did see him ruck a bit when we got injuries last season and he competed ok...