Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Rd 21: Northern Blues vs Essendon at Essendon (Read 10195 times) previous topic - next topic

2018 VFL Rd 21: Northern Blues vs Essendon at Essendon

The Ultimate game for the Baby Blues, and against the Drug Cheats.

ESSENDON v. NORTHERN BLUES

Round 21 – 25/08/2018  12:00PM  Windy Hill

Northern Blues

B: 7. M. Blakey, 25. K. Keppel, 56. C. McDaid
HB: 29. J. Hill, 28. H. Macreadie, 45. M. Shaw
C: 24. F.  Pearce, 13. C.  O’Shea, 49. A.  Schumacher
HF: 16. J. Velissaris, 3. J. Palmer, 1. T. Wilson
F: 57. E. Penrith, 30. P. Kerr, 60. J. Pickett
R: 27. A. Milham, 32. N. Graham, 9. S. Fisher
Int: 37. D. Costanzo, 43. J. Glass-McCasker, 47. B. Hurley, 62. J. Kingsbury, 14. J. Lynch, 22. C. McCabe, 35. M. Stavrou

23P: 46. M. Dreher

9 Blues named and 8 will play at a minimum.

In: B. Hurley, D. Costanzo, N. Graham, J. Kingsbury

Out: L. Casboult

Essendon

B: 77. H. Hocking, 36. M. Hartley, 30. B. Zerk-Thatcher
HB: 59. A. Heppell, 49. M. Dea, 14. J. Ridley
C: 57. N.  Hind, 19. K.  Mutch, 20. J.  Merrett
HF: 51. A. Boyse, 17. J. Stewart, 34. J. Long
F: 15. J. Green, 72. J. Ottavi, 24. J. Houlahan
R: 38. S. Draper, 37. D. Clarke, 39. T. Mynott
Int: 61. W. Berry, 76. L. Collins, 64. J. Harrison, 60. B. Laguda, 62. N. Lazzaro, 79. J. McQueen, 70. J. Sheahan, 65. E. Sibbald

23P: 67. J. Brown

In: M. Dea, L. Collins, J. Ottavi, J. McQueen, E. Sibbald, J. Harrison, N. Lazzaro

Out: D. Younan,  J. Laverde,  M. Leuenberger
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: 2018 VFL Rd 21: Northern Blues vs Essendon at Essendon

Reply #1
The Ultimate game for the Baby Blues, and against the Drug Cheats.

ESSENDON v. NORTHERN BLUES

Round 21 – 25/08/2018  12:00PM  Windy Hill

Northern Blues

B: 7. M. Blakey, 25. K. Keppel, 56. C. McDaid
HB: 29. J. Hill, 28. H. Macreadie, 45. M. Shaw
C: 24. F.  Pearce, 13. C.  O’Shea, 49. A.  Schumacher
HF: 16. J. Velissaris, 3. J. Palmer, 1. T. Wilson
F: 57. E. Penrith, 30. P. Kerr, 60. J. Pickett
R: 27. A. Milham, 32. N. Graham, 9. S. Fisher
Int: 37. D. Costanzo, 43. J. Glass-McCasker, 47. B. Hurley, 62. J. Kingsbury, 14. J. Lynch, 22. C. McCabe, 35. M. Stavrou

23P: 46. M. Dreher

9 Blues named and 8 will play at a minimum.

In: B. Hurley, D. Costanzo, N. Graham, J. Kingsbury

Out: L. Casboult

Essendon

B: 77. H. Hocking, 36. M. Hartley, 30. B. Zerk-Thatcher
HB: 59. A. Heppell, 49. M. Dea, 14. J. Ridley
C: 57. N.  Hind, 19. K.  Mutch, 20. J.  Merrett
HF: 51. A. Boyse, 17. J. Stewart, 34. J. Long
F: 15. J. Green, 72. J. Ottavi, 24. J. Houlahan
R: 38. S. Draper, 37. D. Clarke, 39. T. Mynott
Int: 61. W. Berry, 76. L. Collins, 64. J. Harrison, 60. B. Laguda, 62. N. Lazzaro, 79. J. McQueen, 70. J. Sheahan, 65. E. Sibbald

23P: 67. J. Brown

In: M. Dea, L. Collins, J. Ottavi, J. McQueen, E. Sibbald, J. Harrison, N. Lazzaro

Out: D. Younan,  J. Laverde,  M. Leuenberger

Nick Hind is being talked up as a potential state league recruit for struggling AFL clubs...be keen to see how he goes.....

Reply #2
O’Shea was used as a midfielder last game and got a very favourable review from Fraser.  He is named in the centre in this week’s squad and it will be interesting to see how he goes.  A last minute change of role could save his career ... and JGM could be another on in that position.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
O’Shea was used as a midfielder last game and got a very favourable review from Fraser.  He is named in the centre in this week’s squad and it will be interesting to see how he goes.  A last minute change of role could save his career ... and JGM could be another on in that position.

I don't care if he gets 40 touches as a mid this week. He should not be on our list next year.

His disposal and decision making is not up to AFL standard.

Reply #4
I don't care if he gets 40 touches as a mid this week. He should not be on our list next year.

His disposal and decision making is not up to AFL standard.

Maybe not kicking the footy is his go! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Maybe not kicking the footy is his go! ;)

His decision making errors are not limited to him using the ball. Its him attempting to read the play and/or defend which sees him make terrible errors too.

Maybe not playing footy is his go! ;)

Reply #6
JGM has looked a totally different player as a key forward and has a good set shot action. Done two years on list, don't know if he's done enough to be elevated.   Certainly wouldn't elevate based on his form in defence.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #7
His decision making errors are not limited to him using the ball. Its him attempting to read the play and/or defend which sees him make terrible errors too.

Maybe not playing footy is his go! ;)

Not having seen the VFL game myself all I can go on is the coaches reports and word from those that did, and it seems they were all pleasantly surprised at O'Shea's inside mid abilities. Maybe this is another Paul Brodie miracle!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
JGM has looked a totally different player as a key forward and has a good set shot action. Done two years on list, don't know if he's done enough to be elevated.   Certainly wouldn't elevate based on his form in defence.

If we can delist him and re rookie him I wouldn't say no.  He's tall and he shows aggression.  Some of his vfl work has been ok.

I'm told he is of good character as well.  The problem is we have plenty of tall options, and he will never be more than ordinary, but you do need those types  on your list.  In a few years Rowe will finish up and he's the only young tall who looks likely to play the gorilla minder. I'd give him one more year as a rookie but he's going to need to be pressing for selection next season.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
If JGM can make it as an inside Mid and forward, he would be worth persevering with, particularly given he can also play down back. Could be a late developer who will be more than handy in the future.

I would re-rookie him.

Reply #10
If JGM can make it as an inside Mid and forward, he would be worth persevering with, particularly given he can also play down back. Could be a late developer who will be more than handy in the future.

I would re-rookie him.

Did JGM also have a run in the midfield?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
I'd delist JGM and tell him to do an OShea and have a year in the NB's and if he has a good year we will consider him for next season as a rookie.
I want my rookies to be experienced decent players from the State Leagues who can help the NB's and be contributors when they get called up for senior action...
LeBois, Shaw and JGM have been next to useless....

Reply #12
I'd delist JGM and tell him to do an OShea and have a year in the NB's and if he has a good year we will consider him for next season as a rookie.
I want my rookies to be experienced decent players from the State Leagues who can help the NB's and be contributors when they get called up for senior action...

Yep, JGM has had his time and not featured.

EB1, is there some irony in retaining JGM while cutting Gowers?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13

Agree. He needs to really show he wants, and badly!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #14
Yep, JGM has had his time and not featured.

EB1, is there some irony in retaining JGM while cutting Gowers?

LP...Gate...horse...bolted......Gowers wasnt outstanding and as a mid utility type his future didnt look great, I guess the Dogs playing him forward was more credit to them
than us doing much wrong as his U18 career was as a midfielder/utility. JGM on the other hand was an outstanding prospect at U18 level and unlucky not to be drafted.....but has been woeful in the NB's.....
I think the switch forward may be a bit too late for JGM....