Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 23: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 26154 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 23: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #45
The zone was pretty far from solid in 2016 and 2017. If one player, Docherty, missing is all it takes for your defensive structure to fall apart then its a fair indicator that the system isn't particularly robust.

For whatever reason, it doesn't work. The coaches (not just Bolton but all of them) should have seen this already and adapted. But they haven't. It isn't just the backline with Daisy and Simmo though, the zone is a team defence - which is failing because as a team the playing group isn't implementing it.

So yes, that is the job of the coaches (again, not just Bolton). When one of two players continually get things wrong you can blame them. But when an entire playing group isn't running hard you have to look at the coaches. When disposal and skills are woeful across the board, you have to ask what the coaches are doing at training to develop them properly. And finally, when the opposition works out your game plan and thrashes you like this on a number of occasions, you have to question why we stuck with the same game plan each time.

How many coaches do we have to burn before the penny drops ? We've had rookie coaches, experienced coaches, soft coaches, tough old school coaches, yet we are where we are.

We don't have the depth to cover the loss of someone like Doc. Same goes for Cripps. And yet this is the coaches fault ?

Tha coach doesn't just inherit a list. He inherits an entire club, an entire culture. And turning around a culture like ours is a massive club wide undertaking. I'm not suggesting Bolton is blameless,  not am I suggesting he's beyond criticism.

Reply #46
I'm happy with the zone style because the coach is expecting them to learn how to play in a way that will win. One on one is for wet days and the bottom leagues. Watch a division one game in local leagues; they play zone.

Its the turnovers that are killing us. We won the inside 50s, which shows we are winning the ball and getting it forward. We then break down and it comes back and we are struggling to get back to position. Playing one one one is not going to improve us much.

One a few occasions this year our approach has worked and we score. Fast ball movement via accurate kicking is very hard to defend. But it requires great skills and being organised and we are struggling to meet these levels.

The coach has high expectations. Good.
The mystery though is this - if in moving the ball forward we have nobody to kick it to, how is it we're struggling to get back in position when the ball rebounds? Everybody should already have been back.

Better still, how do the opposition get through our backline and stream towards goal in greater numbers? Our players aren't forward as attacking options and they're not back guarding the defensive 50.

Where exactly are 18 guys wearing navy blue on the field???

My answer (and in agreement with a few other posts) is that our midfield just jogs around setting up the zone. I'll accept Cripps at times running a bit slow as the guy must be stuffed from everything else he does. But the rest of the mids have got to run both ways much, much harder otherwise it just exposes our defenders and leaves our forwards outnumbered.

Either our players aren't ready for the zone yet or the coaches haven't developed an effective one. Either way, we can't stick with it.

Reply #47
Tim Clarke chopped. More to follow?

BB has about 6-8 games next season to show some real improvement (as reflected by number of wins) otherwise he'll be pushed imo.

Sure, we'l get players back etc etc but so many times this year the lack of effort from so many does suggest the players don't get whatever BB's message is.... the school teacher mantra only goes so far.

God, I trust SOS weaves some magic....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #48
How many coaches do we have to burn before the penny drops ? We've had rookie coaches, experienced coaches, soft coaches, tough old school coaches, yet we are where we are.

We don't have the depth to cover the loss of someone like Doc. Same goes for Cripps. And yet this is the coaches fault ?

Tha coach doesn't just inherit a list. He inherits an entire club, an entire culture. And turning around a culture like ours is a massive club wide undertaking. I'm not suggesting Bolton is blameless,  not am I suggesting he's beyond criticism.
When an entire system breaks down, yes it is the coaches that need to be looked at because they are accountable for the entirety of the team's performance. And not just Bolton - all of them.

That doesn't mean sack Bolton - I understand the need for some stability and what you're saying. But there definitely need to be some changes in his support crew and a different game plan in 2019. As some first changes, replace those responsible for skills development, the midfield and fitness. Because whatever they're doing just isn't getting results.

After 2 wins in season and multiple 10 goal thrashings we can't bury our heads in the sand and say everything would have worked out if we just had one player. Docherty is good - but he alone wouldn't have prevented this shipwreck.

Reply #49
Tim Clarke chopped. More to follow?

BB has about 6-8 games next season to show some real improvement (as reflected by number of wins) otherwise he'll be pushed imo.

Sure, we'l get players back etc etc but so many times this year the lack of effort from so many does suggest the players don't get whatever BB's message is.... the school teacher mantra only goes so far.

God, I trust SOS weaves some magic....
Good. As per my last post, this had to happen.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-08-25/clarke-departs

Hopefully making way for Sam Mitchell to take up the position

Reply #50
Good. As per my last post, this had to happen.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-08-25/clarke-departs

Hopefully making way for Sam Mitchell to take up the position
Or Ratts
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #51
Or Ratts
Could he really come back in any role less than head coach?

I like Ratts and think he would be great in the job, but it might be a little too destabilising to have him as midfield coach at the moment.

Reply #52
Could he really come back in any role less than head coach?

I like Ratts and think he would be great in the job, but it might be a little too destabilising to have him as midfield coach at the moment.

Won't be too many Ratts old contempories left at the club next year I would think?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #53
When an entire system breaks down, yes it is the coaches that need to be looked at because they are accountable for the entirety of the team's performance. And not just Bolton - all of them.

That doesn't mean sack Bolton - I understand the need for some stability and what you're saying. But there definitely need to be some changes in his support crew and a different game plan in 2019. As some first changes, replace those responsible for skills development, the midfield and fitness. Because whatever they're doing just isn't getting results.

After 2 wins in season and multiple 10 goal thrashings we can't bury our heads in the sand and say everything would have worked out if we just had one player. Docherty is good - but he alone wouldn't have prevented this shipwreck.

We are not an AFL freak show, or an AFL outlier. Every single AFL team plays a zone, cluster, web, whatever you want to call it. Conceptually they make sense. These structures can be implemented to varying degrees, different parts of the ground etc. They are all starting positions only. The game has a dynamic component, and players continuously change from one mode to another. Maybe there needs to be an adjustment to the way we implement our zone, but I think by far the biggest problem is that we turn the ball over so often, the players simply can't settle, and have to adjust and readjust far too often, and are therefore out of position too often. That coupled with inexperience, injury etc., is a recipe for disaster and as far as fans are concerned, a recipe for class unrest.

Reply #54

In a better world I agree. One player shouldn't make that much difference. But our team isn't in that better world yet. We've seen it with Judd, we see it with Cripps, and we should also see it with Doc. At least I do. We are still far too reliant on the top 4 or 5 players.

Reply #55
I'm happy with the zone style because the coach is expecting them to learn how to play in a way that will win. One on one is for wet days and the bottom leagues. Watch a division one game in local leagues; they play zone.

I can't speak for everyone, but i've got no problem with the coach implementing a zone style of play. As you say, its the norm.

However, when the team is so obviously bad, there needs to be a circuit breaker of sorts. Players need to be reminded that they can in fact play the game. The quickest and easiest way to do that mid-game is to switch to man on man. A large part of coaching is player management, both in terms of physically and mentally. The players look fed up and tired. Give them a break and let them just run around and play.

Reply #56
From the get go, it was anticipated that Year 3 of the rebuild would not be great, given the demographic gap in our list and our commitment to hit 3 drafts with vigour.

That prediction was prior to the Gibbs move or the Docherty injury.

I still think (hope) that the powers know exactly where we stand and have the right blueprint for the next 2 years. I just hope our attractiveness to potential free agents etc has not been deminiished over Season 2018. 

Reply #57
I can't speak for everyone, but i've got no problem with the coach implementing a zone style of play. As you say, its the norm.

However, when the team is so obviously bad, there needs to be a circuit breaker of sorts. Players need to be reminded that they can in fact play the game. The quickest and easiest way to do that mid-game is to switch to man on man. A large part of coaching is player management, both in terms of physically and mentally. The players look fed up and tired. Give them a break and let them just run around and play.

I'm sure Bolton has thought of that and has been tempted to go down that path. He seems to be pretty uncompromising, and is riding the kids pretty hard. I really don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Reply #58

Its the turnovers that are killing us. We won the inside 50s, which shows we are winning the ball and getting it forward. We then break down and it comes back and we are struggling to get back to position. Playing one one one is not going to improve us much.

One a few occasions this year our approach has worked and we score. Fast ball movement via accurate kicking is very hard to defend. But it requires great skills and being organised and we are struggling to meet these levels.

The coach has high expectations. Good.

Glad someone else can see it and said it well.
If we need a matchday coach let’s get one, but I’m not totally convinced that it’s a game day coaching issue.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #59
We are not an AFL freak show, or an AFL outlier. Every single AFL team plays a zone, cluster, web, whatever you want to call it. Conceptually they make sense. These structures can be implemented to varying degrees, different parts of the ground etc. They are all starting positions only. The game has a dynamic component, and players continuously change from one mode to another. Maybe there needs to be an adjustment to the way we implement our zone, but I think by far the biggest problem is that we turn the ball over so often, the players simply can't settle, and have to adjust and readjust far too often, and are therefore out of position too often. That coupled with inexperience, injury etc., is a recipe for disaster and as far as fans are concerned, a recipe for class unrest.

Paul, Other teams man up properly and pay special attention to the opposition best players...we let the best opposition players run around on their own and hope some useless zone will repel them.