Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 23: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 26146 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 23: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #60
We are not an AFL freak show, or an AFL outlier. Every single AFL team plays a zone, cluster, web, whatever you want to call it. Conceptually they make sense. These structures can be implemented to varying degrees, different parts of the ground etc. They are all starting positions only. The game has a dynamic component, and players continuously change from one mode to another. Maybe there needs to be an adjustment to the way we implement our zone, but I think by far the biggest problem is that we turn the ball over so often, the players simply can't settle, and have to adjust and readjust far too often, and are therefore out of position too often. That coupled with inexperience, injury etc., is a recipe for disaster and as far as fans are concerned, a recipe for class unrest.

No man, it’s just the coach... ????
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #61
Paul, Other teams man up properly and pay special attention to the opposition best players...we let the best opposition players run around on their own and hope some useless zone will repel them.

Yes I know, I see it as well. It's not something that Bolton has missed - of this I am quite sure. I'm sure his instructions are not to let opposition players roam around and do as they please. Something is clearly broken somewhere - youth, injury, coach, skill level, on field leadership, take your pick. My guess is there are multiple fractures.

Reply #62
I can't speak for everyone, but i've got no problem with the coach implementing a zone style of play. As you say, its the norm.

However, when the team is so obviously bad, there needs to be a circuit breaker of sorts. Players need to be reminded that they can in fact play the game. The quickest and easiest way to do that mid-game is to switch to man on man. A large part of coaching is player management, both in terms of physically and mentally. The players look fed up and tired. Give them a break and let them just run around and play.
I have a problem with our brand of zone and its implementation.

Our players seem to have been drilled into thinking that guarding their patch is more important than stopping the opposition getting the ball. We are unbelievably slow to close the gaps in the zone as the ball moves or put pressure on an opposition player who strolls into those gaps that its beyond tragic.

I completely agree that some sort of team defence will have to be the future but you are 110% correct that for now we do need to play more man on man football to let our young players learn how to play contested footy. If nothing else, they will at least learn from the opposition's better players as they try to keep up with them.

I never had high hopes for 2018 and with or without Doc we were destined for a bottom 3 finish. I but wanted to at least see players developing, showing some Carlton spirit and going down fighting. Instead, we've been served up with deplorable, gutless capitulations.

I actually admire Brisbane for their rebuild because they're doing what I'm talking about - sure they're losing too and languishing at the bottom with us. But they've shown a willingness to fight and work. We haven't.

Reply #63
I have a problem with our brand of zone and its implementation.

Our players seem to have been drilled into thinking that guarding their patch is more important than stopping the opposition getting the ball. We are unbelievably slow to close the gaps in the zone as the ball moves or put pressure on an opposition player who strolls into those gaps that its beyond tragic.

I completely agree that some sort of team defence will have to be the future but you are 110% correct that for now we do need to play more man on man football to let our young players learn how to play contested footy. If nothing else, they will at least learn from the opposition's better players as they try to keep up with them.

I never had high hopes for 2018 and with or without Doc we were destined for a bottom 3 finish. I but wanted to at least see players developing, showing some Carlton spirit and going down fighting. Instead, we've been served up with deplorable, gutless capitulations.

I actually admire Brisbane for their rebuild because they're doing what I'm talking about - sure they're losing too and languishing at the bottom with us. But they've shown a willingness to fight and work. We haven't.

Personally, I have no issue with man on man footy, as I would also like a bit of relief and would like to enjoy more even contests. Just be aware that this is a short term, stop gap measure only, and will simply delay the painful learning that has to occur.

Reply #64
Well you know my opinion of Lang and Mullet.... Both gutless seagulls who should be culled.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #65
Well you know my opinion of Lang and Mullet.... Both gutless seagulls who should be culled.

When SOS commented that he really liked the way Lang went about it... silly me, I thought he meant football, not tiddly winks. What was I thinking  ::) ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #66
Cam Polson. 15 disposals, 7 tackles, 2 goals, 89 DT points.....Rising Star nomination???

Reply #67
When SOS commented that he really liked the way Lang went about it... silly me, I thought he meant football, not tiddly winks. What was I thinking  ::) ;D

You know his year was savaged early on with injury. Played good footy for the Cats. Need to see a bloke fit before making judgement.

Reply #68
Glad someone else can see it and said it well.
If we need a matchday coach let’s get one, but I’m not totally convinced that it’s a game day coaching issue.

After 3 years we can see the 2 wins. I exoected something alot better than that. You have a poor coach and you're going nowhere. We're just a total rabble, like back in the Pagan days. We saw how that changed when he left.

Reply #69
You know his year was savaged early on with injury. Played good footy for the Cats. Need to see a bloke fit before making judgement.

In BBs own words, we only play blokes who are in form. So that's what he gets judged on... if you take the field you're declaring you're ready. A bloke called Nick Graham would gladly have taken his place. We've got to stop making excuses and apologies for our coaches, recruiting and players.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #70
In BBs own words, we only play blokes who are in form. So that's what he gets judged on... if you take the field you're declaring you're ready. A bloke called Nick Graham would gladly have taken his place. We've got to stop making excuses and apologies for our coaches, recruiting and players.
To be fair to BB, that went out the window as our injury list expanded.

We played the best of what's left. (And Polson  :) )

Reply #71
After 3 years we can see the 2 wins. I exoected something alot better than that. You have a poor coach and you're going nowhere. We're just a total rabble, like back in the Pagan days. We saw how that changed when he left.

Jim, you were one of us who was reasonably satisfied with the first two seasons, then we lost Doc and Gibbs.
In spite of that we were competitive in large parts and exciting in our season start before injuries destroyed our structure.
We all wanted more wins, but sometimes it just doesn’t happen and frankly I’m disappointed that someone with possibly more coaching credentials than anyone here is so quick to want to send the coach off to the guillotine.
He may need more help, if so let’s get it, but let’s learn from the Ratten days.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #72
Coaching very average tonight Jim...Laird allowed to sit off the play on his own and rack up the possies.....coaching box needs a shakeup..

Tim Clarke wont be there next year. So that one gone. Mitchel/Ratten to replace him???

Reply #73
Tim Clarke wont be there next year. So that one gone. Mitchel/Ratten to replace him???
Move some others on and take both. Though having Ratten in a senior role may be a little destabilising. We risk having our own version of the liberal party power struggle over the top job.

Reply #74

Presume Mitchell would get a job with us via the Bolton connection but thats if he doesnt want back to the Hawks.....
Dont see Bolton wanting Ratten breathing down his neck, thats a lot of extra pressure and while he is a inexperienced matchday coach he knows that Rattens presence
would mean a ready made replacement is on hand to take his job any day they want to fire the gun......