Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 23: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 26281 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 23: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #90
I don’t think Kernahan provided a lot of insight into how things should be done either

Sticks should neve have been President....though arguably he was really just Dick Pratt's front man...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #91
Maybe I missed it elsewhere but has there been an update on Charlie's knee? hate to think he has done something serious.

Reply #92
Bolton said they thought it was a medial ligament, and not too bad

Reply #93
Hopefully that is all it is. thanks.

Reply #94
Looked like Charlie copped an opponents knee to the outside of his knee while having his ankle was trapped under the opponents foot!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #95
I have a problem with our brand of zone and its implementation.

Our players seem to have been drilled into thinking that guarding their patch is more important than stopping the opposition getting the ball. We are unbelievably slow to close the gaps in the zone as the ball moves or put pressure on an opposition player who strolls into those gaps that its beyond tragic.

I completely agree that some sort of team defence will have to be the future but you are 110% correct that for now we do need to play more man on man football to let our young players learn how to play contested footy. If nothing else, they will at least learn from the opposition's better players as they try to keep up with them.

I never had high hopes for 2018 and with or without Doc we were destined for a bottom 3 finish. I but wanted to at least see players developing, showing some Carlton spirit and going down fighting. Instead, we've been served up with deplorable, gutless capitulations.

I actually admire Brisbane for their rebuild because they're doing what I'm talking about - sure they're losing too and languishing at the bottom with us. But they've shown a willingness to fight and work. We haven't.

Brisbane's rebuild is us of last year where we won 6 but led u times in ladgvqtrs and lost. We made life bloody hard, even miserable, for every side we played. Bssed on that we should get 10-11 wins next year. That's an expectancy. Bet we don't.

Reply #96
Jim, you were one of us who was reasonably satisfied with the first two seasons, then we lost Doc and Gibbs.
In spite of that we were competitive in large parts and exciting in our season start before injuries destroyed our structure.
We all wanted more wins, but sometimes it just doesn’t happen and frankly I’m disappointed that someone with possibly more coaching credentials than anyone here is so quick to want to send the coach off to the guillotine.
He may need more help, if so let’s get it, but let’s learn from the Ratten days.

Excuses! Not interested in last year.

2 wins, no structure, poorly drilled, poor game plan. That's not injuries. That side we had playing on the weekend alone is alot better than 2 wins, 3 x 100pt defeats, including by a side with 16 men. We are so poorly drilled we couldn't handle and were outnumbered by a side with 16 thstbfound so much space and kicked goals at will. We were smashed by apoor sides by 10 goals. That's coaching! Then there's the lack of effort so often, meaning a lack of respect for the coach. None of the above is injury related. No amount of spin will change that.

Reply #97
Presume Mitchell would get a job with us via the Bolton connection but thats if he doesnt want back to the Hawks.....
Dont see Bolton wanting Ratten breathing down his neck, thats a lot of extra pressure and while he is a inexperienced matchday coach he knows that Rattens presence
would mean a ready made replacement is on hand to take his job any day they want to fire the gun......

Not sure why we would persist with Bolton, who's been nothing short of pathetic this year, when Ratten is available. Ratten is the only one to drag us from a basket case to a good side and did it the next year with Finals the year after. Near every year around that has terrible. Malthouse got us to finals on the back of Ratten's team them we fell apart, not unlike the way 3yrs under Bolton has. Only an idiot would go with Bolts when Ratten is available.

Love to see Ratten with a good young team and work with SOS rather than half a list if crap, top half good though, he had when stuck with Wayne Hughes.

Reply #98
Not sure why we would persist with Bolton, who's been nothing short of pathetic this year, when Ratten is available. Ratten is the only one to drag us from a basket case to a good side and did it the next year with Finals the year after. Near every year around that has terrible. Malthouse got us to finals on the back of Ratten's team them we fell apart, not unlike the way 3yrs under Bolton has. Only an idiot would go with Bolts when Ratten is available.

Love to see Ratten with a good young team and work with SOS rather than half a list if crap, top half good though, he had when stuck with Wayne Hughes.

Think Bolton will get the boot when they start coming for MLG and SOS but not before....he would be sacrificed to save them but I dont see the club changing coaches for at least 12 months.
The footy world is fairly united in the opinion that Bolton is still the man for the job and that the job has been larger and more difficult than first anticipated and that cuts him some slack for another 12 months IMO....and who would want the job?..My money is still on Ross Lyon as Freo fans are not warming to him much at the moment either and Ross likes to cut and run and Ross has three friends now in power at the club now that Lloyd has joined us. Lyon has also been very kind in his words for our club and is just leaving his options open IMO..

Reply #99
Sticks should neve have been President....though arguably he was really just Dick Pratt's front man...

Personally Sticks made little difference either way, and Pratt fell ill before he could really get things going!

Our problem was this;

Before Fitzpatrick
Allen Aylett (1977–1983)
Jack Hamilton (1983–1986)
Ross Oakley (1986–1993)
John Kennedy, Sr. (1993–1997)
Ron Evans AM (1997–2007)

and

Ross Oakley (1986–1996)
Wayne Jackson (1996–2003)
Andrew Demetriou (2003–2014)

All acted as boosters for their preferred club.

Fitzpatrick (2007–2017)

Carlton favoritism and benefits = Squat!

Post Fitzpatrick

Richard Goyder (2017-)

and

Gillon McLachlan (2014–)

Straight back into bat for their favourites without a sign of shame!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100

Excuses! Not interested in last year.

2 wins, no structure, poorly drilled, poor game plan. That's not injuries. That side we had playing on the weekend alone is alot better than 2 wins, 3 x 100pt defeats, including by a side with 16 men. We are so poorly drilled we couldn't handle and were outnumbered by a side with 16 thstbfound so much space and kicked goals at will. We were smashed by apoor sides by 10 goals. That's coaching! Then there's the lack of effort so often, meaning a lack of respect for the coach. None of the above is injury related. No amount of spin will change that.

It’s not excuses, it’s observation.
Sometimes you just have to suck it up no matter how bad it tastes.
Sack the coach now and you’ll be torching 1/2 the list and starting again... how long do you want the pain to go on for ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #101
It’s not excuses, it’s observation.
Sometimes you just have to suck it up no matter how bad it tastes.
Sack the coach now and you’ll be torching 1/2 the list and starting again... how long do you want the pain to go on for ?

It's a poor excuse for 2 wins. Alright excuse for 6 wins. Given we won 6 last year and led 7 times in last qtrs and lost you expect 10 wins this year. With injuries that isn't happening but 6 should. Even the side we put out there last week is good enough for that. But we got 2 wins, a lot of totally poor effort, no structure, poor game plan and confused players. That part isn't injuries. That's just piss weak. The coach is poor and with thrashings by bottom sides, 3 x 100pt defeats, one to a side that smashed us with 16 men in a qtr and poor efforts what the hell do you put that down too. If that's your observation prepare for severe disappointment. 2 wins!

Reply #102
I have to agree that the game plan is poor - or non existent and that the players are not getting it!  >:( >:(

We really do need some new blood/fresh ideas on the coaching panel, especially come match day.

I'm not for culling BB - but the results certainly need to flow pretty quickly in 2019 or he will be goneski. And rightly so.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #103
I have to agree that the game plan is poor - or non existent and that the players are not getting it!  >:( >:(

We really do need some new blood/fresh ideas on the coaching panel, especially come match day.

I'm not for culling BB - but the results certainly need to flow pretty quickly in 2019 or he will be goneski. And rightly so.

Our efforts have been abject overall save for a few players who have been trying their guts out to no avail. We just have too many who did not seem to want to put in or who had no idea of their role or what was expected of them. This state of affairs just cannot continue. Something has to change, change big time and pdq! BB must focus on winning some games in the early part of next year or the pitchforks will be dusted off for sure. It will be fascinating to see how matters unfold.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #104
Bolton should be subject to a ruthless end of season review to justify his position ... brutal, but needed nonetheless