Skip to main content
Topic: Potential List Changes for the Northern Blues 2018 (Read 17030 times) previous topic - next topic

Potential List Changes for the Northern Blues 2018

At the moment there are 30 players on the NB list. I presume that lists of this size must be close to maximal for VFL teams now that there is no 2nds level in this competition. Many of these guys have managed senior VFL games this year, especially late in the season, as there were few Carlton listed players available.

After many years of high player turnover, I am not expecting the same level this season. There appears to be a strong feeling among the young lads who make up the group. However, there WILL be some. The Preston people have become very good at sifting through the TAC Cup teams for young talent.

As such, I will not look at everyone available: I don’t know enough to predict who will stay and who will go at the bottom end. However, some of the guys coming in with AFL or VFL experience may be questionable.

Confirmed Departures:
None as yet. Certainly, we will not know before the Laurie Hill Medal. Nor will news be easy to determine.

Confirmed Additions:
Again, none yet. That will not be set until after the AFL Draft.

Potential Departures:
[1]   Jesse Palmer – what happens to Palmer will very much be a function of whether or not he gets another chance at the AFL. He has done well this year, but questions over his pace and strength remain when thought of in AFL terms.
It is possible that we may offer him a rookie spot after a good year, but that is not a very high probability. I hope he decides to stay, but my hopes have very little sway.
[2]   Sam Fisher – Fisher started poorly and looked very ordinary early in the season, but he really came good and was one of the best mids as we improved. He got good clearance numbers and his ability to move well through traffic impressed. He does have enough AFL attributes to be VERY probable to get a rookie listing from us, if no other club decides to draft him beforehand. I find it very unlikely that Fisher will be on the VFL list in 2019.
[3]   Josh Hill – as an ex-AFL player he is always a chance to hang up his boots. However, I hope he doesn’t. Hill was terrible early in the season, a total non-contributor. However, when he was moved to HBF he became a different player and really did offer the leadership and experience that our bunch of kids required. Considering his own aims, as posted early in the year, I would find it far more likely that he would remain for at least another season. However, that is going to depend on what he does other than playing.
[4]   Brendan Myers – this lad has not had the sort of year he (and we) were looking for. He was not a regular and only played in the last half od the season when our midfield was especially short. As such I am not confident that he will remain with the Baby Blues.
[5]   Ethan Penrith – Penrith enjoyed a pretty good season with his pace and tackling standing out. As he is still zone listed to Carlton there is a quite reasonable chance that he will be promoted to the rookie list before the AFL draft occurs.

Potential Additions:
This is very much speculation at this point, but so much is at this time of year.
[1]   Oskar Manton – A potential Carlton F/S, Manton has not enjoyed this year with the Western Jets. He was highly rated, but struggled with injury. In a year with the strong draft cohort, I can’t see him being picked up. However, due to his lack of real opportunity this season I see a real chance that Carlton suggest he heads to the NB’s for a year to see if he really does have what it takes. Not a really high probability, but not wishful thinking either.
[2]   Michael Barlow – guys like Barlow probably are still good enough for AFL footy, and we would be stupid not to consider him. However, with his age and injury profile, he may miss out. If he does, then I could see a quite good chance that Carlton suggest he come to the NB’s to provide the leadership and experience that Alex Silvagni showed over the last 2 years. We need someone of this calibre, and his ability to win the ball would be a god-send to a team requiring midfield power. He is also an excellent clubman and would help the training and culture of the club. It may even open the door for him in the coaching system, which he is supposedly interested in.
[3]   Will Hickmott – we did not select Will as a F/S option last year, but his form in WA suggests he has enough to seriously consider. He has done particularly well in the WA Colts. His brother, on the other hand, is a very high probability to be picked as a F/S as a rookie. I think they would come as a package. Therefore, Will would have a year or so in the VFL to get over the line (if he can). I think this is a high probability event, probably the highest probability of the options I have presented.

There are 2 other lads Carlton has been following as zone prospects, Brasier and Wild. I am not sure where they are at presently, but with so little profile I find it unlikely that we are serious on drafting them. However, they may well be considered for the NBs to gain experience and, hopefully, show enough to interest Carlton for 2020.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Potential List Changes for the Northern Blues 2018

Reply #1
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
The importance of a good VFL is demonstrated by the fact that AFL finalists Rich, Filth, Haw, Geel and Melb all have their VFL sides in finals also. Kind of makes our rise up the ladder look even tougher and further away.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
Crash,  I'm not convinced that we will do anything other than Rookie Ben Silvagni.  He just hasn't done enough.

I really like Hicky's boys though,   they aren't big but they work hard and accumulate a lot of possessions.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #4
Crash,  I'm not convinced that we will do anything other than Rookie Ben Silvagni.  He just hasn't done enough.

I really like Hicky's boys though,   they aren't big but they work hard and accumulate a lot of possessions.

Tend to agree, reckon at least one of the Hickmott boys will be drafted onto the senior list and the other might be rookied....
Ben to me is rookie material at best...think Dodoro from Essendon though would pick him late to be a smartar$e...

Reply #5
Tend to agree, reckon at least one of the Hickmott boys will be drafted onto the senior list and the other might be rookied....
Ben to me is rookie material at best...think Dodoro from Essendon though would pick him late to be a smartar$e...

That’s bound to happen!  As much as I hate the thought of a Silvagni on the Drug Cheats list, I reckon SOS could just go with the flow.

One of the Hickmotts as a father/son pick and the other and Ben as rookies would be reasonable outcome.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
That’s bound to happen!  As much as I hate the thought of a Silvagni on the Drug Cheats list, I reckon SOS could just go with the flow.

One of the Hickmotts as a father/son pick and the other and Ben as rookies would be reasonable outcome.

I think you are right, if Ben turned out ok then he would find his way to us anyway IMO but if he didnt make it its easier
if Dodoro chops him than his dad... ;)

Reply #7
I think you are right, if Ben turned out ok then he would find his way to us anyway IMO but if he didnt make it its easier
if Dodoro chops him than his dad... ;)

Maybe a cunning plan by SOS?  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
I dont quite get what appears to me as Silvagni hate on this site sometimes. If SOS wasn't our GM of List Management and Strategy, I would hazard a guess and say most would be frothing at the mouth to get Ben in as a FS. Our club has been devoid of FS's for far too long and it seems its because as a club, we tend to shy away from it. At least thats what it looks like to me. We have the Peter Dean Academy for sons of past players to be monitored, why haven't more come through? Is it simply that they are not good enough? If thats the case, fine but either way, its a damn shame I reckon. I guess many have questioned the clubs ability to develop players who have come in, it would be a stretch to ask the club to  assist in the development of kids not yet in our system.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9
You said it yourself,  they haven't been good enough.

Which, in many cases,  translates at junior level to their parents weren't pushy enough.   Junior elite level football is a cesspit of vested interests, selfishness etc.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
I think you are right, if Ben turned out ok then he would find his way to us anyway IMO but if he didnt make it its easier if Dodoro chops him than his dad... ;)

Of course, Ben could have been tanking to throw other clubs off the scent  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
I dont quite get what appears to me as Silvagni hate on this site sometimes. If SOS wasn't our GM of List Management and Strategy, I would hazard a guess and say most would be frothing at the mouth to get Ben in as a FS. Our club has been devoid of FS's for far too long and it seems its because as a club, we tend to shy away from it. At least thats what it looks like to me. We have the Peter Dean Academy for sons of past players to be monitored, why haven't more come through? Is it simply that they are not good enough? If thats the case, fine but either way, its a damn shame I reckon. I guess many have questioned the clubs ability to develop players who have come in, it would be a stretch to ask the club to  assist in the development of kids not yet in our system.

It's probably a perception...the hate thing.
I love Stephen Silvagni. (in a supporter type of adoration :D ;))
He's one of my favourite players.
I have no problem with his actions during the salary cap situation.
He behaved a bit better than some of the others involved.
I've been waiting for his sons to come of age since they were born...to continue the family traditions.
I was wrapped when Jack was drafted...and have been looking forward to Ben because he was supposedly a better player.

But...unless he's being cleverly placed in hiding, Ben has not shown the form that would have him as a priority in terms of our drafting and if things fall into place we mightn't have too many picks left at the bottom of the draft to use on him.
A rookie spot...maybe.

Reply #12
Absolutely no hate from me for SOS! I am happy for him to go about things as he sees fit - his performance will be judged on his results at the appropriate time.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #13
But...unless he's being cleverly placed in hiding, Ben has not shown the form that would have him as a priority in terms of our drafting and if things fall into place we mightn't have too many picks left at the bottom of the draft to use on him.
A rookie spot...maybe.

Yes, I think this is the reality of the situation.

A lot of fans just assess the lad on the surname, including some members of the this forum, and when anyone posts a realistic appraisal of the lad they get pegged as Silvagni haters. Not unlike when we post a realistic appraisal of SoJ and get slammed as Silvagni haters.

The irony for me is that it's the blind faithful and idolaters that heap the pressure on the kids to perform above their natural abilities, the very people who defend the Silvagni's will be their ultimate downfall becuase they have generated unrealistic expectations of the kids!

I can tell you from a very good source that Luke Hodge was incredibly impressed with the physical abilities of BSoS, that is not in question. Allegedly the question is does he want to be an AFL player badly enough? You have to want it to be a AFL player to get through the day to day, having the athleticism isn't enough, just ask Nathan Ablett!

I don't want us drafting the kid on hope and them allowing him to be torn to pieces by bitter fans and a ruthless AFL media just because in their perception he is blowing his chances! Let's face it, his boosters, idolisers and media critics will generally be the most vitriolic!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
Yes, I think this is the reality of the situation.

A lot of fans just assess the lad on the surname, including some members of the this forum, and when anyone posts a realistic appraisal of the lad they get pegged as Silvagni haters. Not unlike when we post a realistic appraisal of SoJ and get slammed as Silvagni haters.

The irony for me is that it's the blind faithful and idolaters that heap the pressure on the kids to perform above their natural abilities, the very people who defend the Silvagni's will be their ultimate downfall becuase they have generated unrealistic expectations of the kids!

I can tell you from a very good source that Luke Hodge was incredibly impressed with the physical abilities of BSoS, that is not in question. Allegedly the question is does he want to be an AFL player badly enough? You have to want it to be a AFL player to get through the day to day, having the athleticism isn't enough, just ask Nathan Ablett!

I don't want us drafting the kid on hope and them allowing him to be torn to pieces by bitter fans and a ruthless AFL media just because in their perception he is blowing his chances! Let's face it, his boosters, idolisers and media critics will generally be the most vitriolic!

Even Nathan managed a premiership.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson