Skip to main content
Topic: Best team.....and next best (Read 17045 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best team.....and next best

Reply #30
The day is coming fast where Daisy and Simmo's days are numbered (which we all knew)....

Yes you can probably add Rowe, Casboult and Ed to that list.

If that is not the case then we are probably not improving enough or fast enough to save BB or SOS in the short term.

A lot of AFL media types are saying we are now four years away from any real success, many of the same said we were only 3 years away this time last year! It seems our 2018 has shattered their confidence in the re-build. At least we can take solace in the fact that many of them predicted Wet Toast would slide in 2018!

Keep in mind that wrights season this year was quite disappointing but he wasn't the lone ranger.  I did note his reliable kicking for goal failed him particularly after the buy.

Wright doesn't have the leg speed to keep up with the chaotic game style trend, he has to work so hard pre-emptively to get into a position that he is continually kicking fatigued. I think we have two or three players in the same boat. There is some irony in seeing Daisy do so well despite his many detractors!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
Agree..I'd have Pickett starting if fit...50/50 on Fasalo too, good mark but not quick or defensively minded....maybe on the bench for him.
I think leg speed will still be an issue, McGovern, Setterfield and Fasalo adds more talent and firepower but makes us slower..
I know I'll be bagged for saying it but Wingard is that type of mid sized mobile smart X factor player we need.....McAdam might have provided similar...

I don't think McGovern is slow for that size player.
Agree on Wingard, can't believe we took Fasolo and didn't look at Wingard.
Fast, skilled, good crumber which is what we need

Reply #32
I'd say the Guv is quick for a guy his size.....that said, plenty of mids his size these days!

That said, his primary job is to mark the ball and kick goals.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #33
I don't think McGovern is slow for that size player.
Agree on Wingard, can't believe we took Fasolo and didn't look at Wingard.
Fast, skilled, good crumber which is what we need
Wingard would have cost 3 times as much and Fasolo cost us nothing as he is an  Unrestricted Freee Agent. 

Reply #34
Wingard would have cost 3 times as much and Fasolo cost us nothing as he is an  Unrestricted Freee Agent.

Fasolo is a low risk option - big payoff if he is successful, not much lost if he isn't. Worth it IMO as he does have natural talent.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #35
Fasolo is a low risk option - big payoff if he is successful, not much lost if he isn't. Worth it IMO as he does have natural talent.

Spot on.

Wingard is chasing big, big $$$$.

Save the coin for quality mids....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #36
I'd say the Guv is quick for a guy his size.....that said, plenty of mids his size these days!

That said, his primary job is to mark the ball and kick goals.

Some defenders have made the mistake in the past and tried to drag him up the ground into the midfield. They found him to be very proficient when dragged there.

Reply #37
Forward line looks a bit slow and lumbering, Fisher the only one there who woul apply decent forward pressure

I didn't comment on this straight away, but others have started to pick up on it.

'Slow and lumburing' compared to what?

McKay is quick and agile for his height.
Curnow is quick and agile for his height
McGovern is quick and agile for his height.

Daisy is not as quick as he used to be, but quick of mind definitely....and no slouch phyiscally pressure wise.
Fasolo, well is also quick of mind. Not sure what his pressure will be like, or what his body is like, but we'll see.

Which leaves Fisher, who's pressure is elite. Not many players can stack up to his kind of pressure.

So overall they are not 'that bad'. Obviously if the defenders are all 6 foot players, by comparison they might be slow and lumbering. But relative to players their size, its a huge step up from Casboult + Silvagni.

Of course, others like Garlett and Pickett could very well play through there starting from the bench if you were so inclined.

Reply #38
I didn't comment on this straight away, but others have started to pick up on it.

'Slow and lumburing' compared to what?

McKay is quick and agile for his height.
Curnow is quick and agile for his height
McGovern is quick and agile for his height.

Daisy is not as quick as he used to be, but quick of mind definitely....and no slouch phyiscally pressure wise.
Fasolo, well is also quick of mind. Not sure what his pressure will be like, or what his body is like, but we'll see.

Which leaves Fisher, who's pressure is elite. Not many players can stack up to his kind of pressure.

So overall they are not 'that bad'. Obviously if the defenders are all 6 foot players, by comparison they might be slow and lumbering. But relative to players their size, its a huge step up from Casboult + Silvagni.

Of course, others like Garlett and Pickett could very well play through there starting from the bench if you were so inclined.

Pickett is a must.
Fast and can tackle.
Curnow, McKay and McGovern have to increase their tackle pressure.
Barry Hall said it did wonders for his game at the Swans.

Reply #39
People underestimate two things about Garlett, just how good he is when he is not injured, and just how much we kept playing him injured. Before that shoulder he was on fire, looked far better than all the other competing small forwards on our list!

But I think we have a habit of playing injured guys, especially the young ones, and I challenge those claims that doing that regular to them is good for their development. The claim is it creates adversity which teaches them to overcome, tests their resolve. I think it is 50/50 on whether it accelerates or stifles progress because the devil is in the detail and to me at Carlton the concept is being too generally applied!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
People underestimate two things about Garlett, just how good he is when he is not injured, and just how much we kept playing him injured. Before that shoulder he was on fire, looked far better than all the other competing small forwards on our list!

But I think we have a habit of playing injured guys, especially the young ones, and I challenge those claims that doing that regular to them is good for their development. The claim is it creates adversity which teaches them to overcome, tests their resolve. I think it is 50/50 on whether it accelerates or stifles progress because the devil is in the detail and to me at Carlton the concept is being too generally applied!

What was his injury LP (I didn't know...)?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #42
Yep, wasn't able to stick tackles once he got his injury, and his confidence and game suffered. Before that he looked like a forward pressure / tackling / jumping lunatic.

I have no doubts about him having the game to be up there with the best of the best small pressure forwards.

He could be our Poppy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
Got to wonder why we didn't put hinm in for surgery, get him right and then have him for the second half of the season

Reply #44
Got to wonder why we didn't put hinm in for surgery, get him right and then have him for the second half of the season

I can't recall, didn't they end his season early?

I suppose because he did it so early in the season, and had shown some good form before that, they had to give him the chance.

But I agree, by half-way it was probably time to get him ready for 2019. Perhaps because Murphy was injured they couldn't afford the further loss!
The Force Awakens!