Skip to main content
Topic: Best team.....and next best (Read 17184 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best team.....and next best

Reply #60
Agreed.

People harp on about Jones' perceived weaknesses but never give credit for his strengths....

That's because his weaknesses - failing to kill the ball when spoiling, leaving his opponent unguarded, kicking to the opposition - generally end up with the opposition scoring.

Hopefully, he can work on those weaknesses because his strengths are admirable.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #61
Agree. Too often last year Jones was caught in two minds and looked bad. I think it was as much a result of our disorganisation at the back as anything else. If he is given a defined role and the rest of the team perform theirs he'll look a lot better imo.

The caught in-between situation was caused by the lack of defensive run from our mids and forwards. Players like Cripps, Ed, SoJ and Kennedy can't keep up with opposition players who stream forward.

Some other Carlton players just refuse to chase with the same intensity that they show when they run forward.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
The caught in-between situation was caused by the lack of defensive run from our mids and forwards. Players like Cripps, Ed, SoJ and Kennedy can't keep up with opposition players who stream forward.

Some other Carlton players just refuse to chase with the same intensity that they show when they run forward.

I agree that these are major factors. Many AFL defenders would struggle in these circumstances.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #63

That may have been a factor but it doesn’t excuse defenders being hopelessly out of position as an opposition player prepares to kick inside 50 from a free or mark.

Our defenders are often caught out position because they are indecisive and/or misjudge inside 50 kicks and their ability to get to contests.  Of course, they are not helped by the slingshot rebounds arising from poor disposal by defenders and players further up the ground.  Having a more capable forward line and saying goodbye to some of the worst turnover merchants should reduce pressure on our defenders.  However, improving defensive structures and addressing individual defender’s one on one and team defence is essential.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #64
Our defenders are caught out of position because they are trying to man up on a piece of grass.
This continual use zone defence is BS. Each backman has a player, stick with him and if the majority of our players beat their man then we generally win!
Simple ;D
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #65
That's because his weaknesses - failing to kill the ball when spoiling, leaving his opponent unguarded, kicking to the opposition - generally end up with the opposition scoring.

Hopefully, he can work on those weaknesses because his strengths are admirable.

Oh you had better throw in he's often left with the choice of having to man 2 or 3 forwards on his pat....that's an easy one to fix!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #66
My Best 22 from the last 4 Drafts -
B.    O'Brien  Weitering J.Silvagni
H/B  Williamson McCreadie Schumacher
C.    Dow Cunningham Fisher
H/F  Petrovski-Seaton Curnow Polson
F.     Kerr McKay Walsh
R.    DeKonning Setterfield Kennedy
I/C   Stocker LeBois B.Silvagni O'Dwyer

My Best 22 from our first round draft picks -