Skip to main content
Topic: A Rapid Rise Would Not Surprise. (Read 40173 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A Rapid Rise Would Not Surprise.

Reply #30
Yes, but that is basically the base line.
For every year you get a good run, there is a year you get a bad run.

Regardless, our story is still a little different. OVER half our list is 23 and under. (May even be 22 and under, i cannot recall exactly.) So we simply don't have the depth, yet, to cover as many injuries as most clubs. Further to that, we are underdeveloped by comparison to others and are MORE likely to get injuries at AFL as a result......MORE than our fair share due to our list makeup.

Given that....
How do you think a bottom 4 finish would be perceived by members and supporters next year Kruds?

Reply #31
Given that....
How do you think a bottom 4 finish would be perceived by members and supporters next year Kruds?

Depends.

I think we've had this discussion before too.

We can be bottom 4 by winning a handful of games and getting belted every other week.
or
We can be bottom 4 by winning over a handful of games and being competitive every other week.

One is, IMO, acceptable, and one is not.

We need to look at our old friend the % and see a steady increase i suspect.

Reply #32
Given that....

I’d expect HOW we finish to far more important than WHERE...

If we finish 9th with some floggings, is that actually better than finishing 18th and being in the hunt for the majority of every game ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #33
I'd be happy with ninth and some floggings...I wouldn't be happy with a bottom 4 no matter how competitive we were.
My personal feelings would be  that a bottom four finish would mean patience has run out and changes would be made...I think that's the worst possible scenario because it means another restart, possibly with a new coach.....but we'll have to wait and see.

Reply #34
My personal feelings would be  that a bottom four finish would mean patience has run out and changes would be made...I think that's the worst possible scenario because it means another restart, possibly with a new coach.....but we'll have to wait and see.

What i think would be worse than a bottom 4 finish would be if the coach starts to question himself and the direction. If we see any signs of that, he is a goner. However, if we do see some signs of improvement, and blue skies ahead, i think we could handle another bottom 4 finish.

I agree, if we 'go too soon' and sack him, it will probably set the rebuild back further than if we stand by him.

Reply #35
I'd be happy with ninth and some floggings...I wouldn't be happy with a bottom 4 no matter how competitive we were.

Straight from page 1 of the CFC playbook - sack the coach. A strategy with a proven track record.

Reply #36
Straight from page 1 of the CFC playbook - sack the coach. A strategy with a proven track record.

The question has to be then....  How long?
Any other coach would already be gone...
You don't get forever
2019  is it as far as I'm concerned.
Progress or GO!

What folks aren't getting is that even without a rebuild the chances are we'd have a more competitive unit than we had in 2018.
Players wouldn't be baulking at us as a destination club.
The draft no longer ensures success.... it's free agency and trading.
The draft is obsolete
The rebuild has set us up nicely with youth but the time is now....not two or three years down the track.
NOW!

Reply #37
You don't get forever
Progress or GO!

IMO, the coach shouldn't even be part of the discussion until the end of the 2020 season. I've said it before, if things are still dismal, get the mob who did the Pies and Tigers audit, get them to scrutinise the joint from top to bottom, and then make changes based on that. I'd be most surprised if they determined Bolton needed to go.

Reply #38
You don't get forever
Progress or GO!
If we see good signs he will stay, if it is another year this... asta lavista baby! ???
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #39
IMO, the coach shouldn't even be part of the discussion until the end of the 2020 season. I've said it before, if things are still dismal, get the mob who did the Pies and Tigers audit, get them to scrutinise the joint from top to bottom, and then make changes based on that. I'd be most surprised if they determined Bolton needed to go.

Bolton needs to show something in 2019.

Reply #40
Bolton needs to show something in 2019.

Most certainly, he'll be scrutised closely. One would expect at least 6 to 8 wins for Bolts to retain his postion.  

Reply #41
I actually like Bolton
I think he's what we need at the moment
But it's time he shows he can progress this side.
I think he can
But if he can't...Time is up!

Reply #42

Yet, you have been wrong before!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #43
Agree with most of that. I'll say I'm happy to wait for as long as it takes. AFAIC, we've been down the sack the coach path and where has it got us? The bloke will make, he and the team needs time. I said in another post that "Its time", by that I meant its time to stop making excuses for everything and be ruthless on the field. Do that and it will turn very quickly.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #44
I say this every year, but i can never recall it perfectly but its along the same lines as you.

But, factors people fail to consider, which happens almost every year are....
1. Long term injury to important players
2. 2nd year blues - A young kid fails to live up to the breakout first season and goes backwards in year 2 - Dow?
3. A veteran player starts to decline and fails to live up to their lofty standards - Simpson?
4. A shock retirement - Rowe this year (albeit end of year) maybe Kreuzer this year?

and there are a couple of other ones which i cannot recall. Something about a couple of players not having a pre-season and playing catchup all year (ala Kennedy/Lang)

Factor all of that into your predictions and it'll be a lot more accurate.

I have.

Hence why 6-8 wins.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson