Skip to main content
Topic: Casboult to CHB (Read 17265 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Casboult to CHB

Reply #30
I like the idea of trialing Kerr as a CHB.

Would give him a lot better chance of finding a spot in the team if he was more than a lead up forward.

Reply #31
I like the idea of trialing Kerr as a CHB.

Would give him a lot better chance of finding a spot in the team if he was more than a lead up forward.

I think that Kerr is well equipped for a role in defence.  From what I have seen of him, he is a natural footballer who reads the play well and makes good position.  However, I think that he will struggle to force his way into the team, at either end of the ground.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
Interesting in seeing Kerr try CHB. He looks like he can really play but won't get the chance forward.

Reply #33
Interesting in seeing Kerr try CHB. He looks like he can really play but won't get the chance forward.

x2....Kerr has some grunt/skills but with Charlie, Harry and the Governor General wont be getting much action near the goals.....
 I'd be trialing Kerr at CHB and giving him a run down back in the JLT series....

Reply #34
x2....Kerr has some grunt/skills but with Charlie, Harry and the Governor General wont be getting much action near the goals.....
 I'd be trialing Kerr at CHB and giving him a run down back in the JLT series....

X3.  Well worth a try.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #35
We have Kieran Collins training at the NBs and a number of slots available.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
Can someone explain why we need another key defender?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38
We don’t. We need a small defender and half backs who can carry the ball and kick straight.

Reply #39
We don’t.

We will be able to better answer that question after a few games. At the moment it looks like we don't need Kerr as a key forward either? Why not see what he's got re. both roles and we would be then in a better position should we need to fill a KPF or KPD role as the season unfolds. He is on the list, let's be prepared to get max value from him as the year unfolds.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #40

Lost Rowe and ACOS and now only have Weitering and Jones who had indifferent seasons in 2018......Goddard is the only true KP backup and when you are picking up the trash from
Stkilda's nature strip that doesnt bode well IMO.

Weitering isnt a one on one defender IMO and his best is usually in the loose intercept role as is Marchbank who isnt big enough to mind the real big blokes.....
McReadie..a kid still learning the game and trying to find a position.....
Jones is either great or terrible which makes him unreliable.....

Our midfield looks good and will get better and our forward line better equipped but its down back where I am tipping we will have most of our problems this coming season...

Reply #41
Lost Rowe and ACOS and now only have Weitering and Jones who had indifferent seasons in 2018......Goddard is the only true KP backup and when you are picking up the trash from
Stkilda's nature strip that doesnt bode well IMO.

Weitering isnt a one on one defender IMO and his best is usually in the loose intercept role as is Marchbank who isnt big enough to mind the real big blokes.....
McReadie..a kid still learning the game and trying to find a position.....
Jones is either great or terrible which makes him unreliable.....

Our midfield looks good and will get better and our forward line better equipped but its down back where I am tipping we will have most of our problems this coming season...

We didn’t really have ACOS last season and Rowe was only ever a stop gap key defender - even if he did manage 99 games.  The latter certainly got the best out of himself but his fumbles and skill errors probably cost us as much as Jones at his worst.  In effect, we lost one key defender from 2018, two if you count Glass-McCasker.

Replacing them is Goddard (who could be anything if he can stay on the park) and McGovern if necessary (although I would prefer him to play in front of the ball).

I have a different opinion of Weitering and I think that he will mature into a very good key defender.  Jones should improve too, particularly if we have a more competitive midfield and better defensive structures and cohesion.

Marchbank and Plowman are a little light on to mind a genuine key forward but they can do it and have done it successfully in the past.  However, if we are relying on them each week we will be in trouble.

Another option is Kerr, who I think could make an excellent key defender.  He has the size and, from what I’ve seen, the footy smarts and attitude to do the job.  Macreadie could also develop into a key defender but I would have him behind Kerr at this stage.  Ben Silvagni is a long term prospect and I don’t think we’ll know what the future holds for him until the latter half of the season.

That gives us Weitering, Jones, McGovern, Goddard and Kerr with Marchbank, Plowman, Macreadie and Ben Silvagni as possible back-ups.

Reply #42
Pat listed at 197cm, 97kg.

He's grown and filled out.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #43
We didn’t really have ACOS last season and Rowe was only ever a stop gap key defender - even if he did manage 99 games.  The latter certainly got the best out of himself but his fumbles and skill errors probably cost us as much as Jones at his worst.  In effect, we lost one key defender from 2018, two if you count Glass-McCasker.

Replacing them is Goddard (who could be anything if he can stay on the park) and McGovern if necessary (although I would prefer him to play in front of the ball).

I have a different opinion of Weitering and I think that he will mature into a very good key defender.  Jones should improve too, particularly if we have a more competitive midfield and better defensive structures and cohesion.

Marchbank and Plowman are a little light on to mind a genuine key forward but they can do it and have done it successfully in the past.  However, if we are relying on them each week we will be in trouble.

Another option is Kerr, who I think could make an excellent key defender.  He has the size and, from what I’ve seen, the footy smarts and attitude to do the job.  Macreadie could also develop into a key defender but I would have him behind Kerr at this stage.  Ben Silvagni is a long term prospect and I don’t think we’ll know what the future holds for him until the latter half of the season.

That gives us Weitering, Jones, McGovern, Goddard and Kerr with Marchbank, Plowman, Macreadie and Ben Silvagni as possible back-ups.

I'd really like Kerr to transition to the backline. His speed off the mark might be an issue but he's got such a level head, he's filled out and is going to struggle to get a game behind our 3 main tall forwards - I think he'd be a natural fit for the backline.

Most key defenders started out as forwards.

Reply #44
Isn't the old saying "mugs to the back line"?   Though,  I don't think he is,  but he is more physically suited to defence.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?