Skip to main content
Topic: Casboult to CHB (Read 17292 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Casboult to CHB

Reply #75
The problem with that Thry is that, in our game, the rules change annually (and are applied differently throughout a season) and what may have worked five years ago won’t work now.

All coaches would have spent the off-season developing gameplans to accommodate the new rules.  Some will work well, others will have to be adjusted or abandoned.  I hope that Bolts and his offsiders have come up with a gameplan that works well and is within our players’ capacity.

Of course most sports draw on other codes for ideas and inspiration but to say that inventing new techniques is bollocks is to deny the capacity for original thought that defines our species.

Yes, when you consider that we've been rebuilding for 5 years and started off under different competition rules, what does that say about recruiting to fit a plan! :o

The latest change, soccer or gridiron style interchange pit boards on the side line to help runners under the "new rules!" ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #76
The problem with that Thry is that, in our game, the rules change annually (and are applied differently throughout a season) and what may have worked five years ago won’t work now.
  I have mentioned that before, and not to dredge up too much old territory, the rule changes are to negate very specific tactics, and not to negate 100% of in game tactics.  i.e. starting positions.

There is nothing to say you can't go to a back 7 after the ball is kicked, by simply having people move accordingly.

All coaches would have spent the off-season developing gameplans to accommodate the new rules.  Some will work well, others will have to be adjusted or abandoned.  I hope that Bolts and his offsiders have come up with a gameplan that works well and is within our players’ capacity.
I disagree with this.  The hands in the back rule meant that people worked out that using a forearm was ok, and worked around it accordingly.  These tactics are not that specific to be a game plan built upon them.

Of course most sports draw on other codes for ideas and inspiration but to say that inventing new techniques is bollocks is to deny the capacity for original thought that defines our species.

There is a difference between inventing a game plan or applying a game plan, and using a tactic to exploit a rule.

one is what forms how you approach a match, the other is situational.

THAT is where poo pooing any game plan is fraught with danger.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #77
It's seems that my dismissal of the idea of Meat playing in defence was ill-founded if Josh Fraser's assessment of his VFL practice match form is any guide:

Levi Casboult

Stats: 11 disposals, four marks, four tackles, three goals
From the coach: Levi’s presence in the air was really important. He took some strong marks overhead and finished off the game really well. He played multiple positions for us — down back, in the ruck and up forward — and he showed great leadership.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #78
DJC...it's hard to get a handle on where he sits at the moment in regards to a position. First choice forwards at the minute will be McKay, Charlie and McGovern with McKay pinch hitting in the ruck for either Kreuzer or Phillips. I can't see them taking a punt on him playing permanently in defence but it could be horses for courses if we're up against a team with 3 big forwards or a ruckman that goes forward and kicks goals...we only have Jones and Weitering at the moment and Goddard for depth I'm assuming....any reports on Goddard from the VFL if he's been playing?

Reply #79
If we're stuck with him, we might as well use him to his and our advantage.  He's just turned 29

Reply #80
In fairness to Casboult, if SpecialK isn't right then Meat must surely be 2nd in line for a hybrid ruck role this week.

The thought of allowing Nankervis to beat up on McKay does my head in!

If Nthmond were playing GWS someone like Mumford would be hell bent on ending Nankervis' game, season and Nthmond's 2019 hopes knowing they were already in a perilous situation ruck wise.

Nankervis won't hesitate to try and dominate a kid like McKay in much the same way as it sets him up with a mental dominance advantage for years to come, McKay will be playing to survive such is the difference in mentalities and stages of their careers, being big enough doesn't mean you are ready to be an AFL ruckmen.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #81
DJC...it's hard to get a handle on where he sits at the moment in regards to a position. First choice forwards at the minute will be McKay, Charlie and McGovern with McKay pinch hitting in the ruck for either Kreuzer or Phillips. I can't see them taking a punt on him playing permanently in defence but it could be horses for courses if we're up against a team with 3 big forwards or a ruckman that goes forward and kicks goals...we only have Jones and Weitering at the moment and Goddard for depth I'm assuming....any reports on Goddard from the VFL if he's been playing?

I think Meat's role will be back-up ruckman, if there is a vacancy.

Goddard did OK according to the coach:

Hugh Goddard

Stats: 14 disposals, seven marks (four contested)
From the coach: Hugh was really solid in defence, and set us up back there with his leadership and his voice. He was quite strong in the air with a few intercept marks, and his reaction time as a big defender was encouraging. It was a strong game from him.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #82
That's encouraging to hear about Goddard. If one of Weitering or Jones went down we'd be buggered for key defenders so at least he's there for backup if needed.

Reply #83
That's encouraging to hear about Goddard. If one of Weitering or Jones went down we'd be buggered for key defenders so at least he's there for backup if needed.

I think if Lynch plays under this 6-6-6 rule Jones will stitch him up, Jones has already shown he can roll in the ruck at VFL level so physically he should be a match and now he has an extra year of defensive training. I suspect Jones already has Lynch covered for pace.

Nthmond will be hell bent on having Lynch take Weitering to the goal-square because Lynch has Weitering covered on the lead, but if our coaches are worth a pinch of goat crap they should ignore that and leave Jones basically tagging Lynch.

I suspect you might find Riewoldt well up the field again this season, I'm much more comfortable with Weitering one on one with Riewoldt, under the new rules and with list changes a lot of Riewoldt's chop out buddies will be ineffective.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #84
I think if Lynch plays under this 6-6-6 rule Jones will stitch him up, Jones has already shown he can roll in the ruck at VFL level so physically he should be a match and now he has an extra year of defensive training. I suspect Jones already has Lynch covered for pace.

Nthmond will be hell bent on having Lynch take Weitering to the goal-square because Lynch has Weitering covered on the lead, but if our coaches are worth a pinch of goat crap they should ignore that and leave Jones basically tagging Lynch.

I suspect you might find Riewoldt well up the field again this season, I'm much more comfortable with Weitering one on one with Riewoldt, under the new rules and with list changes a lot of Riewoldt's chop out buddies will be ineffective.

I think Richmond will play smart and use the unfit Lynch as a decoy only to drag Jones away and look to isolate Martin close goal and have him one on one where they know the Dusty show will win out as he is too much for most defenders... Our main hope is to dominate the midfield and drag Martin back to playing as a onballer, if Richmond get enough forward opportunities we wont be able to stop them kicking goals IMO.

Reply #85
Agreed EB....we haven't got anybody really that can take Martin when he's sitting forward...doubt too many clubs have really. We're going to have to hope one of McKay, Curnow or McGovern can be an aerial presence up forward because that is one area we could get them.

Reply #86
I think Richmond will play smart and use the unfit Lynch as a decoy only to drag Jones away and look to isolate Martin close goal and have him one on one where they know the Dusty show will win out as he is too much for most defenders... Our main hope is to dominate the midfield and drag Martin back to playing as a onballer, if Richmond get enough forward opportunities we wont be able to stop them kicking goals IMO.

I doubt under the new rules any team can afford not to have their A-Grade midfield running on ball as much as possible, any suggestions of blokes like Cripps or Dusty playing forward is a furphy.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #87
Agreed EB....we haven't got anybody really that can take Martin when he's sitting forward...doubt too many clubs have really. We're going to have to hope one of McKay, Curnow or McGovern can be an aerial presence up forward because that is one area we could get them.

Plowman is probably a decent match up for Dusty if he goes forward.

As for Jones having Lynch, Lynch ate him on toast last season the one time they went head to head.

Lynch has Jones for nous, irrespective of speed, physicality etc. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #88
Lynch has Jones for nous, irrespective of speed, physicality etc.

I realise that, but in fairness to Jones it was like a 1st year player versus a 6th year player. I think the year before we let Lynch murder Weitering in a 1st year versus 5th year match up.

And Lynch is no Joe Average!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #89
I doubt under the new rules any team can afford not to have their A-Grade midfield running on ball as much as possible, any suggestions of blokes like Cripps or Dusty playing forward is a furphy.

Tigers have been using Jack Graham in the middle and rotating him with Martin down forward....I think that will continue as they look to cover for Caddy who is injured.
Got no doubt that when Caddy is back that Martin will spend more time on the ball but I think the Tigers will think they can match our onballers with their other players and
that Nankervis can control the ruck with Kreuzer out. I'm happy to test that thinking and expect Cripps to dominate in the middle and give us superiority and plenty of supply to our tall forwards who have to be aggressive.
McGovern has been quiet in the JLT games but i reckon he can have a big game vs the Tigers and kick a bag...