Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Elimination Final 1 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney  (Read 4559 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Elimination Final 1 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #30
Harry had some crucial goal assists early.
If he was available I’d play him at CHF. He’s a better kick from distance than from close in!

Reply #31
For those on Facebook. Gotta love a designated bias call. Always the best....haha.

https://fb.watch/mXlwiGiPdZ/?mibextid=Nif5oz

What a cracker. Andy didn’t hold back. It was a bit like looking in the mirror 🤯
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #32
Pretty crook with a bit of cold last night but still went to the game. After waiting so long not much would have stopped me. Another surreal atmosphere. So one-sided was the crowd that the noise was deafening when we scored and dead quiet when they did. Got home and watched it all again. Went to bed but this cold is getting me up early. Due to collapse soon but while I'm still coherent my thoughts on players games, for what it's worth.
Acres - Would suggest the difference between winning and losing this game. TWO on the line touches and kicks the match winning goal. Pretty decent output and under some duress I think. Also had his mandatory OOF. BOG
Cerra - Really close to BOG. Probably 2nd. Just does so much work and so hard at it.
Cincotta - Solid game.
Cottrell - One of the best. Massive work rate, kicks goals has really improved over the years.
Cripps - Relatively quiet by his standards and I think his ribs aren't quite right but he kicked a bloody goal! A couple of is turnovers were shocking as well. Hopefully each day his body gets a bit better. Need him big time next week.
Cuningham - Not a great game by Davie. His form has been down of late and may be under pressure to retain his spot next week, but he DID kick a goal!
De Koning - A really good game by TDK and probably could have kicked a couple but for some slack umpiring. His effort in the last to instigate our only goal was fantastic.
Docherty - OK without being outstanding. Played on Gulden at times which wasn't ideal, but was thereabouts.
Fogarty - Applies pressure and gets a run on the ball a fair bit. Voss obviously values him.
Hewett - Pretty damn good game by George. He been building well since his return to the team and is showing his old form. Let's hope he stays fit.
Kemp - Another solid backman and apart from one MAJOR stuff-up did well.
Marchbank - Surprised by how well he played. On that form he stays.
Martin - So very important to the team. If you had to rely on someone kicking for goal he'd be first cab off the rank. His last quarter defensively play was enormous (bar the ball rolling through his legs for the swans last goal). Hope he gets off but doubt it.
McGovern - Some good work by Mitch but he also had a major stuff-up that cost us a goal.
McKay - Had the first 2 goal assists of the game and I thought this could be his night but alas was not meant to be. Still think he is in our best 22 but the yips are proving to be extremely problematic.
Motlop - Zero impact, Which was disappointing given the conditions. Know he wasn't on for long but Paddy Dow does heaps more in similar circumstances.
Newman - Couple of crucial plays and when he took that last mark, the euphoria was overwhelming. Apart from one MAJOR stuff-up did well. Common theme here.
Owies - Only highlight for this bloke was his insane decision to try and handball while running into an open goal. Yes Vossy, WTF was he thinking. Only Motlop was less effective than he.
Pittonet - Hmmmmmm, battled hard. That's all I can say.
Saad - GREAT. One of his best games for quite some time and couldn't come at a better time. One of the only backmen who DIDN'T have a major stuff-up
Walsh - Really, really good game by the kid. I will say however at times he did choose the wrong option which concerns me but I'm probably a bit too critical.
Weitering - Probably the coolest of cucumbers in the chaos. When so many were panicking his class stood out.

Overall another great relief, but how many more of these can we all take? Funny, listening to the radio in the car on the way home there were multiple Swine supporters complaining about the umpiring? Couldn't see it myself. Wonder if Parket gets cited for his elbow to Newman's head in the 3rd that eventually resulted in a goal. No mention I can see. Funny that.
Our composure under pressure was terrible and that's a concern, but I think dry conditions suit us best so next week we'll hopefully be better.

Nice summary, Mr Balboa. And wish you a swift recovery from your cold.

Finding a way to win in the 2nd half when the Fluffy Ducks came and came hard at us, was a very good sign of maturity/mental toughness. But... we'd want to clean up on those errors in the 2nd half. Reckon it was only our above the shoulders resolve that got us over the line, along with some very special moments from the blokes that Mr Balboa mentioned.

I was concerned with being top-heavy during the week and it came to pass, not helped by H just simply being out of form. With H being ineligible for the Go Dees game it does make way for JSOS if he's fit and ready to go.

Was a little disappointed with Cunner's game. Has to impose himself more, there is too much skill there to not be on display. Still did some very nice things, but more needed.

50/50 on Martin. I've watched the replay of the incident and it could be reasonably argued that when Martin's arm hit Blakey's shoulder it assisted/caused his fist to reflex into Blakey's face. Careless? Probably. Reckless? Possibly. Intentional? No. Will be a considerable loss if suspended. Kennedy a good replacement? Yep.

Kudos to the Fluffy Ducks. So disciplined and relentless. 90,000 Bluebaggers + 18 players against them and only played one bad quarter, which was enough for us to win. Their finals experience sure did help in the 2nd half. Kudos to us for not letting them get in front at any stage, despite some ugly and mistakes ridden footy (in the 2nd half when under real heat).

Charles will not be held to a modest contribution two weeks in a row.

A valuable experience for our boys.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #33
Thats what I saw as well - Martin hit Blakeys upper arm first and momentum pushed Martin forward hitting Blakey high.

It looks 100% accidental - it was a high with low/medium impact as Blakey continued to play.

Reply #34

50/50 on Martin. I've watched the replay of the incident and it could be reasonably argued that when Martin's arm hit Blakey's shoulder it assisted/caused his fist to reflex into Blakey's face. Careless? Probably. Reckless? Possibly. Intentional? No. Will be a considerable loss if suspended. Kennedy a good replacement? Yep.

There is nothing 50/50 about it in my book, watched it frame by frame, fist to the jaw, left arm doesn't even contact Blakey to tackle, verging on dirty and if a the roles were reversed, you'd. all say the same. We will miss Martin hugely next week, he was tough in the contests, strong overhead and kicked straight. Doesn't panic, smart as all get out and is built for finals. We all knew the talent was there, his body has let him down over the years but touch wood, he is in ripping nick at the moment. It would a miracle of biblical proportions for him to get off. Hopefully only a week and back for the prelim.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #35
Vossy was insistent last night that the win was down to "heart" and that we did make mistakes and would learn from them. That shows to me what a tough team we have become and that we'll be very tough to toss by any team in these finals. Sydney are a very tough and professional outfit who expected to win last night.
Go Blueboys!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #36
Swans are a well coached quality side. Absolutely thrilled with that win. We'll learn so much. Some of my highlights..
- Doc' opening goal
- the contested dominance
- high pressure
- ability to absorb Swans high pressure
- shining performance by those lesser
stars
- non reliance on bigger names
- ability to bounce back or at least hold firm when Swans got a run
- final siren celebrations
- the attitude of every player across 4q
- BT having to be nice to the winners

Such an amazing couple of months. Kudos to Vossy and the entire club for staying the course 👏🏼

Go Blues

x2 except you forgot one point.

The crowd noise was unbelievable last night.

I cannot remember hearing anything like that in a long long time if at all.

It really stood out to me.

GO BLUESSSSSS...................

Reply #37
x2 except you forgot one point.

The crowd noise was unbelievable last night.

I cannot remember hearing anything like that in a long long time if at all.

It was a 'Kerryn McCann 2006 Comm Games' sound. A packed MCG supporting the one person / team. Unbelievable!

Reply #38
I don't share your optimism that Harry would be better next week if he were able to play.

Leaving aside that in the Swan's match he was once again a motivation killer, the fact is that since his return to the side we have gone back to the same old predictable approach of entry into the forward line, namely, coming around the flanks and kicking long to the forward line.

During the time he was out injured our plan of attack was quite different - bringing the ball through the centre corridor as quickly as possible, denying the opposition backmen the chance to settle, and allowing our small forwards freedom of movement.

If he is not available for selection against Melbourne, I hope we return to the plan which has brought us success.

Hmm i get where your coming from and yes Charlie has excelled when Harry is not there, however even though he has been in horrible form this year, he did win a Coleman medal two years ago and had a reasonable year last year. If he kicks 2 goals and is not concussed then he plays next week.

Tall players don't get any shorter as the game goes on, and he is still someone that the opposition has to put one one of their best defenders on to ensure he is kept in check.

Reply #39
Re H, was there number 2 or 30 on him when he was on? Seriously felt like those two Marked every friggen ball that came near them in the last half!

Reply #40
Well done Blues, we did something Essendon have been trying to do for the last 100 years!! Win a final!! We won ugly, but we WON!!

Love this
https://facebook.com/417214352159989

Saad joins elite list. Congratulations to Adam Saad on joining this list of former Essendon players who have won a final since Essendon last won a final.
Adam Saad (Carlton)
Joe Daniher (Brisbane)
Orazio Fantasia (Port Adelaide)
Ted Richards (Sydney)
Michael Hibberd (Melbourne)
Adam McPhee (Fremantle)
Jake Carlisle (St Kilda)
Bachar Houli (Richmond)
Josh Jenkins (Adelaide)
Jake Melksham (Melbourne)
Angus Monfries (Port Adelaide)
Paddy Ryder (St Kilda)
Kepler Bradley (Fremantle)
Conor McKenna (County Tyrone)
Gavin Wanganeen (Port Adelaide)
Damien Hardwick (Port Adelaide)

Reply #41
Winners win because they win, losers lose because they lose. The cultural pressure on Carlton last night was enormous. After being down for so long the fear of winning can be debilitating. For too long Carlton teams have relied on Messiahs to save them rather than being a collective of individuals who look inside themselves to find success. Last night could be a stepping stone for us to move forward in becoming the team I believe we can be.
We missed two goals from 15 meters and gave up three goals from bonehead errors. Our two best players had minimal impact and Sydney is a seriously good structured team. Yet despite of all this we were able to win. Hopefully the pressure is now off and we can become what we should be.
Turning up to play is so important. Collingwood kicked the first two goals and won by seven points and we kicked the first two goals and won by one.
McKay won't be playing and I don't think Martin will. If Silvagni is fit he should probably play to help shut down Lever and Motlop should be in the starting team. I would bring Dow in as the sub.

Reply #42
Harry had some crucial goal assists early.
If he was available I’d play him at CHF. He’s a better kick from distance than from close in!

I reckon it's the blue jumper. Look how much better Levi kicks at goal since he put a Gold Coast jumper on....hahaha.

Reply #43
Winners win because they win, losers lose because they lose. The cultural pressure on Carlton last night was enormous. After being down for so long the fear of winning can be debilitating. For too long Carlton teams have relied on Messiahs to save them rather than being a collective of individuals who look inside themselves to find success. Last night could be a stepping stone for us to move forward in becoming the team I believe we can be.
We missed two goals from 15 meters and gave up three goals from bonehead errors. Our two best players had minimal impact and Sydney is a seriously good structured team. Yet despite of all this we were able to win. Hopefully the pressure is now off and we can become what we should be.
Turning up to play is so important. Collingwood kicked the first two goals and won by seven points and we kicked the first two goals and won by one.
McKay won't be playing and I don't think Martin will. If Silvagni is fit he should probably play to help shut down Lever and Motlop should be in the starting team. I would bring Dow in as the sub.
I would be giving serious consideration to Paddy Dow for the starting 22.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #44
I thought I'd never say it, but I don't believe we can win finals unless Martin plays.  Is a crucial player ATM. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?