Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Elimination Final 1 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney  (Read 4737 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Elimination Final 1 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #45
I would be giving serious consideration to Paddy Dow for the starting 22.

My concern with Paddy D is mental toughness. Too often goes missing in real heat, and finals pressure is another level up.

Kennedy & JSOS have both shown mongrel determination when the heat is on. Motlop is X factor.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #46
I thought I'd never say it, but I don't believe we can win finals unless Martin plays.  Is a crucial player ATM. 
I thought the exact same thing this morning watching highlights, he was out most important player last night.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
Yes to JSOS if he’s fit, he is built for this type of pressure and will work his guts out for it.

Reply #48
JSOS is finished for the year with a knee isn't he?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #49
Id consider Dow, he's a burst style player who might help us bat a bit deeper against that Dees midfield. He also played in some big high pressure games during the streak.

Fisher ain't hard enough for the next three games, I think he'd be found a little wanting.  Its going to be kill or be killed the next three weeks.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #50
JSOS is finished for the year with a knee isn't he?

Not necessarily. The latest update (25th August) had him out for the first final, then no news after that. i suspect it will be a week by week proposition.

Reply #51
My concern with Paddy D is mental toughness. Too often goes missing in real heat, and finals pressure is another level up.

Kennedy & JSOS have both shown mongrel determination when the heat is on. Motlop is X factor.

I think Dow has definitely improved and would be useful competing with the Melb midfield.  I think Kennedy would be H's replacement with doubts still hanging over JSOS. Motlop might be a good Sub option.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #52
Awesome night last night. Just me and 92000 of my closest friends....maybe 90k were carlton fans.
Weather behaved itself and although it rained it was mild. Was windy, but not terribly so.
No excuse for Harry missing those goals anyway.

Martin is starting to prove the doubters wrong. If he has any left, then they don't know much about footy. He was huge all over the ground.
Cottrell took some strong marks, was good in front of goals and is made for finals.
Acres...love what this bloke has brought to the club tough as nails, but might miss with his shoulder which was hanging for the last 5 minutes of the game. Thankfully the weekly out on the full happened very late in the game and didn't hurt us too much.

Harry....oh dear....i suggested we keep him out of the side previously and didn't get much support. After last nights debacle, he is probably lucky he got himself concussed as it may have saved himself the embarrassment of being dropped. How do you miss 2 goals basically from the goal square in the same match?! Confidence is shot.

Changes for next week....

Out: Harry (conc), Martin (susp), Acres (shoulder)
IN: Silvagni, Motlop, Hollands
Sub: Kennedy

Reply #53

For the little time he was on I think Motlop looked timid last night, he had everything to play for full of energy and fresh as a daisy in the final moments of a heavy slog and did squat. He should have been running all over the Swans defenders, instead he just surrendered with the pill. It didn't matter which way he run as long as he run and made them pay a price on tired legs for guarding him!

I'd rather Dow, as long as we let Dow be Dow and forget shoehorning him into some roll he is not suited for! If we want to shoehorn players, shoehorn Cerra or Hewett who have that utility factor.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
I think Dow has definitely improved and would be useful competing with the Melb midfield.  I think Kennedy would be H's replacement with doubts still hanging over JSOS. Motlop might be a good Sub option.

Out H, Martin (Acres looked sore in the last few minutes according to my mate sitting behind the goals he kicked the sealer at)
Ins to pick from: Kennedy Fisher Dow Holland Motlop
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #55
For the little time he was on I think Motlop looked timid last night, he had everything to play for full of energy and fresh as a daisy in the final moments of a heavy slog and did squat.

I'd rather Dow, as long as we let Dow be Dow and forget shoehorning him into some roll he is not suited for! If we want to shoehorn players, shoehorn Cerra or Hewett who have that utility factor.

Motlop didn't look timid to me. First contest he was in he nearly took himself and his opponent out.
Made a few spoiling/tackling attempts later.
Didn't do enough in his time on the ground.

Actually, he scored a '-6' fantasy points rating

Reply #57
Hollands back in for mine.  Blake Acres and Cotters were the game breakers with their ability to work up and down all day.  Hollands provides another accountable avenue to do that and when its his turn to go, he goes and then goes again.  THATS what you want in a finals player.  Its not the size of the dog, its the size of the fight in the dog, and I have not seen him shirk any contests either tall or small. 

I checked the stats on grand final day back in 2008.  Everyone likes to remember the efforts of Stewart Dew and his heroics, but Ill personally remember Cyrils halving of one contest vs two opponents on the wing leading to a turnover and momentum swing back to hawthorn, as the catalyst behind the hawks coming back into that game and eventual win. 

Out of all of our options not currently in the ones, its Kennedy or Hollands.  For me, Hollands is the better option, but thats not to say that Kennedy would be any worse.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #58
x2 except you forgot one point.

The crowd noise was unbelievable last night.

I cannot remember hearing anything like that in a long long time if at all.

It really stood out to me.

GO BLUESSSSSS...................

Good point. I wasn't at the game, watching from interstate. I have no doubt our passionate Bluebaggers roared and help push our boys to the end. My own screaming, yelling, and occasional groans was noise enough from where I was sitting.

I'm so happy for all our fans and hope they all celebrate a whole of club achievement 👏🏼
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #59
The cheersquad are a dedicated bunch, and I admire them for all their work.  Occasionally, I think they could fire up a little with their collection of chants.  The Carl-Ton clap clap clap is their go to, and the only one you hear frequently.  Last night, they added Carl-ton, Carl-ton in the "come on you blues" style (yes I know that this is the "Col-ling-WOOOD" chant too, but we used to hear it differently at Optus Oval. 

That's all great, but I think we could add the "viking clap", and when the crowd claps in unison they yell BLUES.

Beyond that, i admire them for turning out each and every week, and hope they can take on board some constructive criticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JdpRWG3IJ0

I think this would be great for our footy club particularly before the game!

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson