Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 21: Carlton vs. Richmond (Read 17254 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 21: Carlton vs. Richmond

Reply #105
I didn't see it.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-12/season-over-for-key-blue-after-nasty-throat-fracture

Very nasty injury and takes time to get over, very bad luck IMO and he played very well.
I guess Levi will take his place down back vs Bruce from the Saints...

Reply #106
Between one thing and another, he's had a rough year. 

Reply #107
Bad luck Liam, a bitch of a run atm. Take it easy for now and get yourself properly recovered for next year.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #108
Did anyone see Jones get whacked in the throat?

I remember seeing when it happened in game and my mind jumped to Ed Curnow's throat injury from 2017.
Can't recall what caused Jones' injury though. I'll have to check back over the replay.

Reply #109
I said Jones played well.

I'm talking about what Casboult brought to the team when he went back.

Wonder if Casboult will go back now the Jones is out for the season.

Reply #110
I remember seeing when it happened in game and my mind jumped to Ed Curnow's throat injury from 2017.
Can't recall what caused Jones' injury though. I'll have to check back over the replay.

13:30 to go in the 3rd quarter.

Difficult to see on the vision, but probably when Jones tackled Lambert. (unless he copped an elbow from Reiwoldt just before the tackle).
He actually got the clearance after the ball up despite the injury, and played out the game too.
The man is tough.... hope he recovers well.

Reply #111
Any chance Riewoldt will get cited for his chicken wing.....especially considering his double movement that can ONLY be explained as intent to hurt a defenseless person.

That is more BS than the sirengate!

Reply #112
I saw that too, very ordinary act, but will get away with it because he's from one of the favourite clubs

Reply #113
I thought Plowman was very good again today, don't understand all the hate. He will poll well in our B&F this year

Plow does heaps right, and I've seen him beat plenty of the oppositions best small & tall fwds.  He has a knack for locking down on dangerous players and seems to bob up in the right spot often to take a mark.  And I've seen him drill some beautiful passes.  Sadly, he makes the odd howler, and across half back they stand out like dogs balls.  He just needs to make better decisions sometimes and hopefully learns to play within his abilities.  As mentioned somewhere way back, he's not alone.  Plenty of players make the odd howler.

Reply #114
I saw that too, very ordinary act, but will get away with it because he's from one of the favourite clubs

Yep....an AFL favorite ambassador so he should be right...if they can let Barry Hall off for belting a player off the ball so he can play and help deliver a flag for the AFL's favourite interstate team then Jack has no problems.
It was two actions IMO and instead of releasing his grip the 2nd action showed him pushing the arm up more.....

Reply #115
Yep....an AFL favorite ambassador so he should be right...if they can let Barry Hall off for belting a player off the ball so he can play and help deliver a flag for the AFL's favourite interstate team then Jack has no problems.
It was two actions IMO and instead of releasing his grip the 2nd action showed him pushing the arm up more.....

Considering he is a recidivist too...
https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/jack-riewoldt-chicken-wing-video-richmond-tigers-melbourne/vcy6wgklf0df1vfv9gab4ivk2
That shows a video of what he did to Bailey Fritsch

It also cites the fact that Judd was suspended for 4 weeks for his chicken wing.

Any danger of some consistency here??

Reply #116
Not for the first time one of our players has suffered a serious throat injury during a game and has not even won a free for his efforts. This time it is Liam Jones, who totally obliterated a Big Head called Riewoldt.
Why is us? How is it happening? Somebody is not looking closely enough at the game. (No need to guess who.) And those whose job it is to police the game at the administrative level are not doing their job.
At the moment too many people at the top end are ignoring the basics to push their own agendas (growth in Qld and NSW) and making politically correct statements. Both of those goals are fine in their own right, but the AFL is simply ignoring other problems:
(a)   The standard of umpiring.
(b)   The state of the game at grass roots level in the core states.
(c)   The inequities in programming and recruiting.
(d)   The treatment of players on the field and the justice of the bodies who determine what is accepted and what is not.
There are plenty more things, but that will do for now.
[1]   The Standard of Umpiring and the use of the technology to help them.
Yesterday’s game is very much a case in question. The umpiring is not good. Nor are the AFL willing to address the problem. They will not accept any criticism of the Umpires, which is simply hiding from the issues.
Examples:
(a)   In the last few minutes we (mis)kicked the ball into our forward 50 to a contest where we were outnumbered. Richmond win the ball and start to run it out of defence. Harry McKay chases (about the only time he did it all day). He gets reasonably close to his target and is running though our attacking goal square, where, instead of being shepherded legally, he is jumped on and tackled to the ground. The Umpires ignore it. Richmond run the ball down the ground and kick a goal.
Result: 2 goal turn-around with only a few minutes left.
I find it almost incomprehensible that the umpires could not see this and should have paid a free about 3 metres from goal directly in front.
(b)   In the last seconds of the game the ball gets kicked to the Richmond forward line. The siren goes noticeably and measurably before the mark is attempted. The mark is paid, and a goal is kicked.
When questioned by Daisy Thomas the umpire not only confirms his error but states that no potential review is possible, even though the game has finished.
That does not appear to be reasonable.
The law states that the game finishes when the umpire calls time: fair enough. However, that is not the way that the game has been interpreted, and not just this season. In games involving us (Hawthorn is Tasmania, for example) and those not, the umpires have consistently considered the game finished when the siren went, not when they have put their hands in the air.
Nor is this a new issue. North Melbourne defeated Collingwood some time after the siren in a Night GF many years ago. Supposedly things were changed to make a repeat impossible. That does not appear to be the case.

I well understand just how difficult our game is to officiate: I have tried myself more than once. However, even with 3 umpires, many frees are not seen, others are decided by the umpire making a guess and others are systematically ignored. The kicking in danger rule could have been paid many times in recent times and is not. The Goodes rule is now usually ignored. The push in the back rule rarely gets paid, and the few times where it is, it appears to be extremely soft. Some very clear tow handed pushes are ignored, and not just in marking contests. Many years ago, Adrian Bassett tackled a Sydney player very late in the game. It was paid a free for in the back. At the time I didn’t like it, but I thought it was a reasonable decision. The same tackles happen now each week and are systematically ignored. There were at least 4 cases I could remember, 2 our way and 2 Richmond’s. None got paid.

Demonizing fans who call out towards umpires is not helping the umpires. Instead it is giving them a false sense of security that they can make blatant errors and get away with them, instead of learning to fix them.
With the technology available now, decisions can be accurately determined. In the Cricket the third umpire usually uses the technology to overturn wrong decisions. An umpire off the field could easily inform an umpire of an incorrect decision that could be remedied.
At this point, an umpire cannot change his decision, even if he has realized that he made a mistake. He can only review certain things under very limited circumstances. That is a mistake.
There are a number of potential theories going around for ways of improving the umpiring, some impractical, others not. However, the AFL does not face the issue.
This is an error that does not just change the result of games (and could well determine the result of a GF), but it adds enormous stress to an Umpire. After all, Umpires are humans and will be informed about their decisions in many formats, not just the irritation of the fans on the day.
Nor is the AFL apparently willing to address the obvious fallacies: for example, the day Collingwood got 24 frees and we got 8. Any reasonably disinterested party could judge that we were harshly done by. Yet, there is not way to seek redress. It cannot even be reported if the umpires involved were penalized if they have been making errors.

Recently a ‘group of experts’ determine that 21% of all frees paid are incorrect. I may be leery of ‘panels of experts’, but this sort of number cannot be ignored. And yet it is.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #117
Considering he is a recidivist too...
https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/jack-riewoldt-chicken-wing-video-richmond-tigers-melbourne/vcy6wgklf0df1vfv9gab4ivk2
That shows a video of what he did to Bailey Fritsch

It also cites the fact that Judd was suspended for 4 weeks for his chicken wing.

Any danger of some consistency here??

No chance..

I think they will use that ambiguous term "insufficient force"...the player on the receiving end is the only one who can judge that though. The intent should be equally important.

Dangerfield, Ablett, Selwood, Dusty... Riewoldt, all the big names can take a swing/get in a sneaky blow/action at a lesser name and get away with it unless its so blatant and obvious and even then it will get appealed down.
It almost needs an independent body adjudicating but how can anything be independent with the AFL funding it?

Reply #118
[2]   The state of the game in the core states:
This is not a new issue either, but it does not appear to be under consideration.
(a)   The numbers are clear: football is no longer the largest participatory sport during the winter. More kids play soccer.
(b)   All around the state the number of clubs is dropping, not rising, as participation is reduced. Some of this is because numbers in country towns are dropping, but even with the increase in population, footy is getting its fair share.
For example:   Bendigo
I have lived in Bendigo for some years now and was well addressed in the situation when it was the centre of our country zone. Even though the population has over doubled since it was our zone, the number of players playing footy have dropped. The number of teams has dropped. Others have merged. Football is not played much at school level at primary or secondary level. At VCE level there are only 4 providers, which Catherine McAuley College (the former Catholic College Bendigo) and Bendigo Senior Secondary College having the vast majority of the students. Hence there are only 2 strong teams, which only a few can participate in. Girton Grammar and Marist don’t have the numbers to be really competitive. Hence school football is not a help.
The local footy people do their best, but little time is set aside for them to get into schools. Nor do teams visit more than once per year.
When Bendigo was our zone, we had people in every school. The inter-school competition was strong as each secondary school went from 7-12. There were lots of teams to play for a lot of encouragement to play. Mr Strauch and his colleagues had a much smaller population to deal with, but football was present as a part of life. Now it is not.

The Bendigo Pioneers struggle to be relevant. The team covers a zone stretching all the way to Mildura, but it is perpetually at the bottom of the table. The people running things are no less enthusiastic now, but they do not get much support from the AFL, not when the distances are taken into account. But even with twice the number of people in Bendigo and the population continuing to rise, the team cannot get talent on the park.

Even the Bendigo League is struggling for the depth of talent it had 50 years ago. Bendigo has not been the #1 country league this century, and some players are leaving to play in stronger competitions.

If I can see these problems, the AFL should be able to. They have access to more funds now than in any time in history, yet the money does not seem to be coming to grass roots competitions, nor the schools. If the game is to prosper, this must be addressed. Otherwise we will be stuck with a second class spectacle like soccer.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #119
[3]   The Inequities in programming, scheduling and recruiting:
What last weekend’s game showed me is the inequities of the system not only still exist but are worse than ever.
Richmond and Collingwood rarely play at places other than the MCG. Neither travel much. Nor do Essendon. Do they play in Tasmania? Darwin? Canberra?
I will flog this horse at another time, as I have flogged it before.
The same goes for the recruiting. The rules as they are do not help lower clubs, they penalize them as other clubs steal their players through free agency. The Zones for some teams, particularly GWS, appear to give them an advantage that is difficult to counter. No other ‘Zone’ produces top level players like that.
As for home grounds, in Victoria only Geelong have one, and they are fed games there that should be played at the MCG. We will play them in a couple of weeks and our members and supporters get less chance to see the game than if they go to Perth. There could have been 60 000 people at the game. There will not be 30 000: their ground cannot hold that many.
The WA teams have a huge home ground advantage, as do all of the ‘interstate’ teams. Some Vic teams get special treatment (Coll, Rich, Ess, for example). But only Geelong has a home ground advantage. Why? Why not us? Or North? Or even the Bulldogs? I have written about Princes Park any number of times. It remains a much better venue and could have been much, much better.

I'll stop there. I didn't intend to write an essay. God knows I couldn't write an essay to save my life when I was a students. Probably why I teach Maths and Science!
Live Long and Prosper!