Skip to main content
Topic: Smith's Crew in SA (Read 81637 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Smith's Crew in SA

Reply #240
A caller on SEN about 30mins ago rang in with a story about Warner from a few years ago, I think before he played for Aus. I won't repeat the gory details but it showed the kind of attitude he had then and it was quite shocking. He was banned for his actions but when he was called up for national duties shortly afterwards the ban apparently was immediately lifted. Mmmm, bit of a problem there I think.

The factional movements behind the scenes in and around CA are far worse than CheatsFC, some will see the current events as an opportunity for a power shift.

But is it good or bad timing for CA, does the ratings spike and intense media interest reduce or increase the value of the sport to potential broadcasters?

I don't see a clear answer on that, it could go either way based on the number$.

Sorry if that seems cynical.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #241
The ball tampering itself is not a big deal, it's not like it offers a clear benefit.

I see the current events as being more politically motivated, it's about the hypocrisy!

Even so there is no defense for Smith and Warner, but the penalties need to be proportional to du Plessis and Philander or CA will legally shoot itself in the foot!

btw., A while back the BCCI funded a university to look into the aerodynamics of a cricket ball. They spent a lot of money trying to find the formula that makes a ball swing and a bunch of very smart people drew a blank trying to establish a repeatable and reproducible regime!

England found mints worked very well on the ball in 2005...lol. Can really lacquer up the shiny side.

Reply #242
If CA come out and whack Smith and Warner too excessively, relative to earlier cases which can be considered precedents, it'll end up in the CAS.

Some wealthy supporter will fund Smith and Warner to fight the charges, and then people on the CA side lose more than they already have.

CA will not want the penalty challenged, it will cost them too much. I'll be shocked if on top of someone like Lehman losing his job Smith or Warner are banned for life as some want.

Something will be worked out where a couple will be sacrificed to save the rest......Warner will retire from test cricket IMO and Lehman will fall on his sword.
Smith wont be captain again but his ability as a player will keep him in the team, Bancroft as the junior player and not being probably the sharpest tool in the shed should be spared but his place wasnt cemented anyway
and he will need to earn his way back in the team.
The biggie for me is would Michael Clarke be considered for the Ashes series as captain.......

Reply #243
Something will be worked out where a couple will be sacrificed to save the rest......Warner will retire from test cricket IMO and Lehman will fall on his sword.
Smith wont be captain again but his ability as a player will keep him in the team, Bancroft as the junior player and not being probably the sharpest tool in the shed should be spared but his place wasnt cemented anyway
and he will need to earn his way back in the team.
The biggie for me is would Michael Clarke be considered for the Ashes series as captain.......

CLARKE, BIG BIG NO. I'd prefer Kim Hughes!  ???
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #245
Perhaps Warnie will make a comeback and be captain?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #247
England found mints worked very well on the ball in 2005...lol. Can really lacquer up the shiny side.

I can't help the fact that England are idiots who managed to convinced themselves of something that contradicts reality.

Saliva breaks down leather, it softens it because saliva contains enzymes like lipase and amylase, two ingredients used during the tanning process to soften and de-hair hides. It might make it look shinny at first, but it will break down the surface faster.

Any serious swing bowler will go troppo if they see someone using saliva in any mixture on the ball, the two smart things to use are sunscreen and perspiration. Perspiration is perfect because as it evaporates it forms crystals from the trace minerals and urea content which act like a varnish.

The classic vintage footage of Lillee wiping his finger across his brow then polishing the pill is no accident.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #248
The classic vintage footage of Lillee wiping his finger across his brow then polishing the pill is no accident.

;D ;D ;D
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #249
Hazlewood and Starc trying to extricate themselves from the mess by saying its was Smiths idea and they had nothing to do with it, one of them wants a meeting with CA and their name cleared. Problem is they are part of the leadership group and are the bowlers most likely to benefit from the ball being tampered with..I'm calling BS on the fact they had nothing to do with the decision making and wanting to leave Smith hung out to dry is pathetic.... tells you where the team are too in terms of sticking together, not sure what is worse ..cheating or abandoning your captain, VC and opening batsman.

Reply #250
Starc needs a break anyways, looks exhausted and bowling pies.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #251
Starc needs a break anyways, looks exhausted and bowling pies.

Down Hill skier?.......if I was Bancroft I'd be letting him know  I put my career on the line by tampering with that ball for your benefit you SOB....and now you want to
save your own Ar$e and leave mine hung out....

He bowls pies when it gets tough, blames the runup, footholes etc etc...I'd play Richardson or Sayers and let him sulk and learn how to be proper teammate and stick together..

Reply #252
He bowls pies when it gets tough, blames the runup, footholes etc etc...I'd play Richardson or Sayers and let him sulk and learn how to be proper teammate and stick together..

x2

Keep him for the green tops, and let the big boys play when things are tough! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #253
Hazlewood and Starc trying to extricate themselves from the mess by saying its was Smiths idea and they had nothing to do with it, one of them wants a meeting with CA and their name cleared. Problem is they are part of the leadership group and are the bowlers most likely to benefit from the ball being tampered with..I'm calling BS on the fact they had nothing to do with the decision making and wanting to leave Smith hung out to dry is pathetic.... tells you where the team are too in terms of sticking together, not sure what is worse ..cheating or abandoning your captain, VC and opening batsman.

They plan on going to the players association. They are fuming apparently. Seems like it was Smith and Warner, with the latter the apparent instigator. Players want Warner out of the hotel and he's removed himself from the WatApp players group.

Renshaw is on his way over, Burns soon as will yet an unnamed player. Paine or Mitch Marsh will apparently be captain.

Reply #254
This is becoming an incredible soap opera!
Finals, then 4 in a row!