Skip to main content
Topic: Smith's Crew in SA (Read 81702 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Smith's Crew in SA

Reply #270
In context of Malo's post about the Lindwall era, it's dead easy to think things were more gentile and honest in the past. But in that era pitches were left uncovered, they were frequently watered or otherwise doctored, bats were weighted or corked, you could scrub away at the ball on the pitch, bodyline was legal, etc., etc.. For which any number of rules have since been authored to address those issues.

As an analogy, what would a modern day AFL player think about lining up on Ted Whitten, Kevin "Cowboy" Neale, Captain Blood Jack Dyer or even a more recent Neil Balme! You know, back in the good old days!

Cricket was/is no different!

It's too easy to look at the distant past with rose coloured glasses.

I heard a discussion once were Bill Lawry described a past batsmen of great skill, who when the opportunity arose would jam the cricket ball into his front foot spikes as part of a forward defensive stroke.

But what was done in SA was already illegal i.e. we cheated. The actions from the past you're describing were legal until rules were subsequently changed. Bit of a difference? I'm all for going all out within the rules.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #271
But what was done in SA was already illegal i.e. we cheated. The actions from the past you're describing were legal until rules were subsequently changed. Bit of a difference? I'm all for going all out within the rules.

I'm not defending them Cookie, but I'm a bit over the media hyperbole, they make it out like it's never happened to this degree before, when in reality stuff like this has never stopped happening.

Personally I think the games ruling body got this exactly wrong, in much the same way they got the front foot rule wrong. Let the bowlers or captain legally use the pitch to scrub the ball under the observation of the umpires, let the teams throw the ball into the turf, to get any demonstrable benefit it's a skill they will actually have to practice. Do this and the whole TV Slow Mo ball tampering controversy evaporates!

The ball still has to fit through the umpires gauge, it has to remain mostly round, so there is a natural limit to any ball tampering that teams can apply.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #272
I'm not defending them Cookie, but I'm a bit over the media hyperbole, they make it out like it's never happened to this degree before, when in reality stuff like this has never stopped happening.

The media can certainly be very tiresome but I try to ignore most of its rantings. I think I feel better for it.  :)

Reply #273
The media can certainly be very tiresome but I try to ignore most of its rantings. I think I feel better for it.  :)

There is some irony in the media taking the high ground on any issue, given it's litany of setting up subjects and doctoring reports and selective reporting. They want ratings, this is giving them ratings a plenty, it's such a conflict yet it's also a deliberate construction!

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger!

Have you noticed how some of the NSW media have suddenly turned on their man Warner, their vitriol is extraordinary, up until now they were all into loving his passion? Which could be alternatively described as turning a blind eye to his behaviour!

Smith and Warner deserve a whack, but they don't deserve a hanging!

Finally, have you noticed a new slant surfacing in the media today, the calls for CA to be held accountable. That is the political opportunism I posted about earlier surfacing, the behind the scenes power struggle that is best described as parochial filth!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #274
12 months for Smith and Warner, 9 months for Bancroft.
Shot. Foot. Ouch.

Reply #275
Well, CA had to come down harshly. They did.

What I want to see now if how they handle it. I want all three to come back stronger than ever. I might be wanting too much, as Warner appears to have lost the faith of the group. But I want him to come back hard!

I don't have high hopes for the coming test. After all, Bancroft was our highest run scorer. Both of the Marsh brothers and Khawaja have been down and nobody has got a century yet. They all need to lift, every single one of them. Their performances have not been to the standard we have come to expect from them.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #276
I think the penalties are about right.

Maybe a bit harsh of Bancroft, he would have been under heavy influence form Warner and Smith.

Smith is the real disappointment for me, I didn't expect much better from Warner.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #277
So when other countries F$$## up, are they going to take action or are they just going to laugh at us?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #278
Don't really care  about  what other countries do.   We finally took a stand and said it is unacceptable for those representing our country to cheat in a pre-meditated way.

Not sure that we have been told the whole story by CA...

Reply #279
So when other countries F$$## up, are they going to take action or are they just going to laugh at us?

They'll laugh at us, they already are!

In the end this will only make us stronger, this time next year several extra players will have been exposed to top level competition. I've argued for a long time, it's harder to lose your spot in the Australian Test Team than it is to walk on water!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #280
I find it hard to believe that Lehman didn't know anything about it.. but even if he didn't he should fall on his sword.  It's all turned to poo on his watch so move him on and let's start a fresh.

I hope Smith can come back from this in 12 months and get back to making runs.  ( never to Captain or VC again. )

I wouldnt be fussed if Warner never plays for Australia again... reading between the lines I doubt he will while this current crop are still playing..I can see him selling out with a tell all book ( or paid interview ) and screwing everyone over.  Hopefully not.

Bancroft... I feel a little bit for him... he may never get back and hasnt got millions in the bank like the other 2 have.  ( but if u do the crime u do the time )

Hopefully we've set the bar and if anyone is stoopid enough to do it again they pay a similar price... I say hopefully because I doubt it.

Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #281
Got what they deserved, hopefully it teaches generations to come whats right and wrong. Sick of the attitude "others dot it too". "Play the game as it should be played, at home or far away."
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #282
I find it hard to believe that Lehman didn't know anything about it.. but even if he didn't he should fall on his sword.  It's all turned to poo on his watch so move him on and let's start a fresh.

I hope Smith can come back from this in 12 months and get back to making runs.  ( never to Captain or VC again. )

I wouldnt be fussed if Warner never plays for Australia again... reading between the lines I doubt he will while this current crop are still playing..I can see him selling out with a tell all book ( or paid interview ) and screwing everyone over.  Hopefully not.

Bancroft... I feel a little bit for him... he may never get back and hasnt got millions in the bank like the other 2 have.  ( but if u do the crime u do the time )

Hopefully we've set the bar and if anyone is stoopid enough to do it again they pay a similar price... I say hopefully because I doubt it.

Reckon Smith will get another go as he is a topliner...Warner is finished IMO and Bancroft will need a thousand runs a season to make it back given his stupidity....
Lehmann should have been sacked and I reckon the rest of the leadership group are lucky they are our best bowlers....

Reply #283
I guess the immediate concern is to limit the damage as much as possible whilst we get through this series in SA? Maybe then a more comprehensive investigation and review will be conducted by CA - I hope so. It sounds, from what I've heard from a few commentators that there are probably deeper problems within the squad and its culture. We'll see I guess.

Reply #284
Reckon Smith will get another go as he is a topliner...Warner is finished IMO and Bancroft will need a thousand runs a season to make it back given his stupidity....
Lehmann should have been sacked and I reckon the rest of the leadership group are lucky they are our best bowlers....

Maybe Smith and Warner manned up and decided to take all the heat ? Because its pretty hard to believe Starc Hazelwood etc didnt know what was going on...

We will have to wait till Warners interview or book to find out ????
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!