Skip to main content
Topic: Smith's Crew in SA (Read 81637 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Smith's Crew in SA

Reply #330
Burns,  Renshaw,  Handscomb and Sayers in.  Good to see Sayers get a chance.

There is something refreshing about the team for this test,  although I think we'll get pumped.  My son (6) just asked where they got the sandpaper from - good question.

Reply #331
I have severe doubts about the character of Warner. He seems to have been at the centre of far too many "incidents" and controversy. If CA are determined to change the face of Aussie cricket there would definitely be no place for him even if he promised to be a good boy - far too much history and bad feelings around the world.

The funny thing is that Warner often comes across as a caring, sharing kind of bloke :-\  However, his behaviour during (and before) cricket games can be intolerable and embarrassing.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say he should never play cricket for Australia again but, if he did, he would have to comply with a suitable code of conduct.

I watched Smith’s press conference and thought it was one of the most harrowing things I’ve seen on TV.  I think that his punishment is appropriate but he should be left alone now.

It seems tha ACA are fired up to appeal the penalties but I think that they should just let things ride.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #332
The funny thing is that Warner often comes across as a caring, sharing kind of bloke :-\  However, his behaviour during (and before) cricket games can be intolerable and embarrassing.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say he should never play cricket for Australia again but, if he did, he would have to comply with a suitable code of conduct.

I watched Smith’s press conference and thought it was one of the most harrowing things I’ve seen on TV.  I think that his punishment is appropriate but he should be left alone now.

It seems tha ACA are fired up to appeal the penalties but I think that they should just let things ride.

I was mortified watching Smith tbh. It was absolutely gut wrenching. I agree that he should be left alone with his loved ones and hopefully he will eventually recover. The whole spectacle and media coverage is bordering on voyeurism - wtf has got into us?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #333
Well Ackerman is a Saffie cricketer, did he have to say about du Plessis and Rabada?

I think you underestimate the Saffies.

I've two friends both who have played rugby for SA, they live and breath sledging stuff far more than any Aussie I've ever talked to! When their sons played footy with my boy I've had to ask them, and their wives, for some restraint at junior matches. I put it down to growing up in the SA, a fairly harsh environment living in compounds behind razor ribbon, where a moments hesitation can cost your life!

I think it's quite wrong to claim they would only be retaliating to this stuff, or by inference that they have a better moral compass.

Think Warner has Faf and Rabada covered in terms of being disliked, not sure you would get too many arguments about a more hated player..Kohli would be in 2nd place.
I dont underestimate the Saffies, they have been hard nosed competitors since Aubrey Faulkner peeled off 204 at the MCG, Warner made it clear the gloves were off before he landed in SA and that he was going to
sledge them silly, think I heard Aaron Finch on MMM say that team meetings in the Aus dressing room included who to sledge, what to say etc, doesnt mean SA dont do same but my point is that we go in every test with sledging as a tactic and have to expect one day that we will get it back with interest. For sure the Saffies dish it out too and the whole country got onboard with the Sonny Bill Williams masks but it doesnt seem to matter where you look...David Warner is in the middle of most of the action.

Reply #334

Agree. Smith has shown deep and authentic remorse for what he has done and has taken full responsibility and has made himself totally accountable. Aussies are by nature very forgiving when the apology is fair dinkum. Bancroft will be seen as a foolish victim who will hopefully learn something from all of this, but will also be fine.

Warner? Mmm. Let's see what he has to say.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #335
Good job today fellas,  late reward for a lot of grind.   Played in the right spirit and some good catching.

Lyon will be a real handful as this game progresses and pleased to see Sayers have an impact.   Cummins shows real spirit,  his effort balls are top notch.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #336
Good job today fellas,  late reward for a lot of grind.   Played in the right spirit and some good catching.

Lyon will be a real handful as this game progresses and pleased to see Sayers have an impact.   Cummins shows real spirit,  his effort balls are top notch.

Yep..Paine's gesture to shake hand pre game was excellent and Markram received generous applause for his fine innings......he has been a surprise packet and probably their batting with ABDV shoring up the middle order had been more solid..
Saffies have the runs on the board and a dangerous player in Dekock still at the crease so I would expect them to rack up 400 plus which will make its hard to win the game but I thought
Cummins plugged away on a good wicket, Sayers is handy and will be good in England IMO...
Handscomb improves our catching 100%, lets hope he can make some runs......

Reply #337
Starc and Hazelwood have been poor sine the 1st Test (noting Starc not playing at Wanderers).

If either had bowled even at an average lrvel for their standards, things would have been different.

have to ask why?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #338
Yep..Paine's gesture to shake hand pre game was excellent

In is first few minutes he's shown himself to be 300% smarter than Smith, Smith is a great batsmen but a crap captain.

Paine's motives won't be as magnanimous as they seem superficially, it one simple act he's taken the initiative off the Saffies, forced them to tow the line and removed their oxygen.

It doesn't mean he won't be in their ear from behind the stumps, it just means it won't be low brow! You can do as much damage to an opponent by pumping up their tyres and commenting quietly about their technique as you can by trying to aggressively distract or deflate them, same outcome but the method is 180 degrees away from Warner. So much smarter!

Towards the end of my cricket career I found that I could get the batsmen to hit the ball in preferred zones just by making sure they clearly overheard my instructions to the field. There was nothing they can do about it, you could analyse their batting technique and have them playing their weakest shots in just a few overs by the power of indirect suggestions and field manipulation. At test level Taylor was the best I have seen at manipulating the field to get the batsmen playing the way he wanted.

Smith as Captain by comparison was a sledge hammer, banging away at the same spot relentlessly often with little effect.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #339
Just watched Warner's apology. No ducking and weaving, no excuses, genuine remorse and accountability and awareness as to the hurt he has caused a great number of people.

We all make mistakes and are so different but for me when folks are genuinely remorseful and accountable after having FdUp badly, the condemnation stops then and the healing and 'making good' begins.

Reply #340
Starc and Hazelwood have been poor sine the 1st Test (noting Starc not playing at Wanderers).

If either had bowled even at an average lrvel for their standards, things would have been different.

have to ask why?

Starc obviously had issues with the stress fracture, Hazelwood has been average. Cummins has easily been our best bowler.

Reply #341
We all make mistakes and are so different but for me when folks are genuinely remorseful and accountable after having FdUp badly, the condemnation stops then and the healing and 'making good' begins.

Yes, he must have learnt this off CheatsFC! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #342
Yes, he must have learnt this off CheatsFC! ;D

I don't recall one individual from the Cheats admitting fault/showing remorse & accountability. Very different.

Reply #343
I don't recall one individual from the Cheats admitting fault/showing remorse & accountability. Very different.

Our 1st Qtr against the Suns has made your sarcasm detector dysfunctional.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #344
Just watched Warner's apology. No ducking and weaving, no excuses, genuine remorse and accountability and awareness as to the hurt he has caused a great number of people.

I must have been watching a different press conference.