Skip to main content
Topic: Why will we improve?  (Read 3830 times) previous topic - next topic

Why will we improve?

At this time of the year, every club is selling hope (and memberships). Forget the spin, share 2 good reasons why you believe the team will improve this year.

1.     Better game plan on moving the ball forward, will give our emerging forward line far more opportunities.
2.     Sam Docherty to add stability and leadership in the back line. 

Re: Why will we improve?

Reply #1
Young fellows are a year older.

Reply #2
1. Stability. Didn't delist almost 30% of the side for the first time in a good few years (exasperated by injuries, also) . So many of the blokes who played together this year will again suit up with mostly familiar faces.

2. Enthusiasm. The second half of this season saw bona fide enthusiasm and an exciting game plan which I assume the players bought into and loved - the members and supporters sure did. No doubt this game plan will receive some changes but I reckon the enthusiasm will only grow.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #3
I certainly wouldn't include Docherty as a positive until and unless he picks up the pace.  Two years of nothing will take a long time from which to recover.

For me, Betts.  And a full year of Teague

Reply #4
1. Jack Silvagni
2. David Cuningham

To become 2 of our 5 best players next year.

Reply #5
Why? Simple maths.

Roughly 3/4 of our players will be closer to the age bracket where peak performance is expected.
Some will remain in that age bracket.
Very few are past that age bracket.

Reply #6
Why? Simple maths.

Roughly 3/4 of our players will be closer to the age bracket where peak performance is expected.
Some will remain in that age bracket.
Very few are past that age bracket.

Yep thats reasonable logic, I also think you are relying on a few other teams dropping off who get more players either side of that age bracket.

Also in terms of talent on the park if Docherty and Charlie Curnow can play most games that should equate to a few more wins and the Eddie factor
should be good for a few wins too.

Reply #7
Agree with the list profile getting older being a plus BUT...

We seriously need improvement from some individuals playing midfield time:
Setterfield
Kennedy
SPS
Jack
Dow
Fisher
OBrien
Cunningham
All need a leap forward. Not just natural progression.
Significant improvements in fitness and output

Reply #9
And we know the new blokes i.e. Betts, Martin and Newnes - will simply do their job and do it well.

The kids will have to perform consistently well to gain - or retain - a pot in the 22.

Charlie C to finally have a real breakout year. 50+ goals.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #10
Agree with the list profile getting older being a plus BUT...

We seriously need improvement from some individuals playing midfield time:
Setterfield
Kennedy
SPS
Jack
Dow
Fisher
OBrien
Cunningham
All need a leap forward. Not just natural progression.
Significant improvements in fitness and output

With a fit list, only half of them will be in the best 22....so fingers crossed

Reply #11
Young fellows are a year older.

1. Stability. Didn't delist almost 30% of the side for the first time in a good few years (exasperated by injuries, also) . So many of the blokes who played together this year will again suit up with mostly familiar faces.

I think that they are the two most important reasons why we should improve.

Our youngsters will be stronger and should have greater endurance with another pre-season under their belts.  Their increasing maturity should mean more confidence and greater resilience.

Marc Murphy made a comment about hoping that we wouldn’t make too many list changes this year.  He implied that it was quite draining to have teammates replaced in bulk.  A more modest list turnover this year should improve team cohesion.

Another factor will be the addition of some proven, mature players.  That should take some of the pressure of our youngsters and allow them time to develop as AFL players.  Both Newnes and Betts are leaders and should have a positive impact on the blokes around them.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
- fittest and healthiest list in years
- instant age / experience / leadership hit with Betts and Docherty
- return of blokes like Willo
- young guys with more experience and another pre season
- no more development - the quick fix is back
- plenty of media love / no media pressure
- all quiet on the western front / removal of troublemakers and other staff gumming up the works

That’s 5 or 6 wins right there. Then on top of that, we’ll see what Delegatin’ Dave can conjure up.

Reply #13
And we know the new blokes i.e. Betts, Martin and Newnes - will simply do their job and do it well.

The kids will have to perform consistently well to gain - or retain - a pot in the 22.

Charlie C to finally have a real breakout year. 50+ goals.

Isn't Charlie out for most of the season flyboy?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #14
Isn't Charlie out for most of the season flyboy?
That's what has been implied without an official statement, they keep talking mid-way so I'm expecting maybe the last few games which would be typical for AFL.
The Force Awakens!