Skip to main content
Topic: List Changes 2018 (Read 81076 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: List Changes 2018

Reply #210
Wright made it quite clear that he wanted to go home to Adelaide because they are expecting their first child and his wife wanted to be with family.  His insistence on one year contracts indicated that the ‘go home factor’ was at play.

His Manager has a different view......

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/wright-goes-back-home-after-blues-leave-him-hanging-20180925-p505y6.html.........

Good to see him get  a 3 year deal after we let him hang....

Reply #211
Hard to justify giving him more his 2018 was pretty ordinary.  He didnt look good after the bye.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #212
His Manager has a different view......

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/wright-goes-back-home-after-blues-leave-him-hanging-20180925-p505y6.html.........

Good to see him get  a 3 year deal after we let him hang....

Wright’s statement from that article:

”My wife and I are expecting our first child next year and when the opportunity presented to return back to our home state, there was a lot to weigh up but we feel it is the right decision.”

“I will always be incredibly grateful to Carlton for the opportunity to have continued my AFL career when it looked like it was over – it’s been so enjoyable working with a young and talented group. The club is clearly on the right path under ‘Bolts’ and I wish the group nothing but the best for 2019 and beyond.”
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #213
I think Wright is being diplomatic. I'm inclined to believe the manager to be honest.

Reply #214
I think Wright is being diplomatic. I'm inclined to believe the manager to be honest.

Why then did Wright insist on one year contracts?

I’m inclined to believe that the manager is pumping up his own tyres ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #215

That's no indication that he didn't want to play again next year.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blue-wright-likely-to-go-again-20180820-p4zymx.html

That story is from late August. Initially told to wait until after R23, then the club moved the goalposts again. He got fed up of waiting and took a better, more secure offer. He's not yet 29, and missed 1 game in 3 seasons.

Reply #216
I liked him too Paul but believe  that a return to Adelaide had been on the cards for a while.  I also believe that the game had gone past him a little this year - he was dropped at one stage to regain touch.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #217
That's no indication that he didn't want to play again next year.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blue-wright-likely-to-go-again-20180820-p4zymx.html

That story is from late August. Initially told to wait until after R23, then the club moved the goalposts again. He got fed up of waiting and took a better, more secure offer. He's not yet 29, and missed 1 game in 3 seasons.

Thats how I read it, he was sick of waiting and went for the security....his form did drop away though so I can understand the clubs position and given the age profile requirements
the odds were against him and I think he knew it......smart player and one of my favs...

Reply #218
I liked him too Paul but believe  that a return to Adelaide had been on the cards for a while.  I also believe that the game had gone past him a little this year - he was dropped at one stage to regain touch.

Thats how I read it, he was sick of waiting and went for the security....his form did drop away though so I can understand the clubs position and given the age profile requirements
the odds were against him and I think he knew it......smart player and one of my favs...

Yes, I accept that his back end form wasn't great, but given he was playing in such a sh1t team with plenty of poor performers, and given that it was the first time in nearly 3 seasons that his form did taper, I would have thought a one year contract was more than justified. A man in the desert doesn't haggle over the price of water, and given his terrific durability and top shelf goal kicking (both qualities our list lacks), he should have been rewarded.

If poor form was the reason, there's 20 players who should be shown the door before him.

Reply #219

Neat player no doubt, but not someone to sell the farm for and Matty knows and understands this.
With a child on the way what would you do ?
Captain the SA Cows and develop your coaching resume for the next three years with family and old friends to support your wife and child or take a 1 year deal with us ?
If she wasn’t expecting he probably would’ve taken our offer...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #221
Did he end up receiving an offer in the end ?
No, I don’t believe he did, because he accepted the Cows offer.
He announced his retirement from senior AFL.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #222

Agree, I'll believe Wrighty. I think in his own mind, he knew he was done at AFL level.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #223
Agree, I'll believe Wrighty. I think in his own mind, he knew he was done at AFL level.

He struggled last season so I think the right call was made.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #224
He would have got an offer but he knew it wasn't going to be more than this year so he made the right call for his future.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!