Skip to main content
Topic: List Changes 2018 (Read 80863 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: List Changes 2018

Reply #60

With Wright's departure it's time to get SoJ, Jones and Kerridge spending more time creating chaos inside F50 at the feet of McKay and Kerr.

I'm not sure I like that forward line. Kerridge and SoJ are slow, average footballers. And Jones is a menace who will concuss the other forwards before the 1/4 time siren. Keep him on the wing.

We need speed and defensive pressure from our small forwards IMO.

Reply #61
Kerridge is more likely to be creating chaos for our defence - same for Jones to a degree!  :D
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #62
I'm not sure I like that forward line. Kerridge and SoJ are slow, average footballers. And Jones is a menace who will concuss the other forwards before the 1/4 time siren. Keep him on the wing.

We need speed and defensive pressure from our small forwards IMO.

They'd be replacing Wright in a similar role, physically and athletically they'd be upgrades on Wright and they are not slower in fact they are probably a bit faster.

Whether they can kick straight or not is another issue, but I suspect over the last couple of years the only thing keeping Wright in that role was experience and work ethic, the kids are gathering experience quickly. Kerridge is now a wiser head and has always had the work ethic.

Do not be too quick to write them off as replacements in a Wright type role, especially young SoJ!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
They'd be replacing Wright in a similar role, physically and athletically they'd be upgrades on Wright and they are not slower in fact they are probably a bit faster.

Whether they can kick straight or not is another issue, but I suspect over the last couple of years the only thing keeping Wright in that role was experience and work ethic, the kids are gathering experience quickly. Kerridge is now a wiser head and has always had the work ethic.

Do not be too quick to write them off as replacements in a Wright type role, especially young SoJ!

I was an unabashed fan of Wright, but if we're going to improve, we need to go one better than him - i.e Matty Wright with fuel injection, turbo chargers and after burners. At least that should be the aim. I have no faith that Kerridge or SoJ will be better than Wright. The fact that they may be a tad faster than him, or younger, is not the issue.

Reply #64
I was an unabashed fan of Wright, but if we're going to improve, we need to go one better than him - i.e Matty Wright with fuel injection, turbo chargers and after burners. At least that should be the aim. I have no faith that Kerridge or SoJ will be better than Wright. The fact that they may be a tad faster than him, or younger, is not the issue.

Upgrading all on field stations is the issue, it's no good denying an opportunity to a player if they offer a potential upgrade path. I suspect SoJ could be as effective as Wright at ground level, possibly faster across the ground, is a somewhat natural forward and is already far better overhead. Kicking and decision making need work, but they do for any kid, that comes with experience.

I'd much rather that option than our club trying desperately to rush SoJ into the midfield where I suspect he is doomed to fail!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
Get Dan Menzel?

You'll get a break even in the goal sneak sense at least.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #66
Upgrading all on field stations is the issue, it's no good denying an opportunity to a player if they offer a potential upgrade path. I suspect SoJ could be as effective as Wright at ground level, possibly faster across the ground, is a somewhat natural forward and is already far better overhead. Kicking and decision making need work, but they do for any kid, that comes with experience.

I'd much rather that option than our club trying desperately to rush SoJ into the midfield where I suspect he is doomed to fail!

I hope you're right, but what I've seen of both SoJ and Kerridge doesn't inspire me. Both average triers at best.

Reply #67
Get Dan Menzel?

A very good field kick (actually, elite IMO) and knows where the goals are, but very little defensive side to his game, and of course, there's the knees.........

Having said that, I do like him. Just be aware of his deficiencies and don't expect him to be something he's not.

Reply #68
Get Dan Menzel?

Been offered a one year deal at Geelong.....yep one to think about given he is a good converter, main problem is thats all he does and can we get the ball forward enough.
Doesnt really provide any forward pressure...and very injury prone.....if I got McGovern and maybe Corbett I wouldnt bother...

Reply #69
I would not be interested in Menzel. Not a solid enough type to be a mentor for us. Too early in our development for his ilk IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #70
Rumour only ....Ciaran Byrne returned to Ireland and wont be returning/doesnt want to return......due to personal reasons.

Reply #71
Crap.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #74
Sorry EB, the profanity filter cut in.   It was an exclamation of  angst,  not a judgement of your rumour.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?