Skip to main content
Topic: List Changes 2018 (Read 80940 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: List Changes 2018

Reply #75
Sorry EB, the profanity filter cut in.   It was an exclamation of  angst,  not a judgement of your rumour.

Not a problem Prof probably is Crape...who knows he probably went home to Ireland for a holiday and someone has
joined some dots that he aint coming back....unless some family problem has just arisen. Just have to wait and see if anything pops up on a credible source.

Reply #76
He might have been told his spot on the list depends on who we get in the trade period.

He might have said, i'll make the decision for you.

Personally, i don't think its as big as a loss as some may feel.
I could never really see why he was so highly regarded. Sure he showed some good signs occasionally, but occasionally.......very occasionally.

Reply #77
The GF is today. Either the Weagles or the Meat Pies will be Premiers ( :( ). Lots of noise but remarkably little action. Again, not surprising. But trade week is coming soon!

Update #4   29/09/2018
Senior List:
Looking forward for the Draft Camp. Lots of useful information on the way.

2018 List:   40 players Present AFL Maximum

Confirmed Delistings:
[1]   Aaron Mullett – contract not renewed
[2]   Cam O’Shea – contract not renewed.
[3]    Matthew Wright - he retired during the week and is heading to Adelaide as an assistant coach.

Confirmed Additions:
Nobody yet.
 Alex Fasolo from Collingwood appear to be certainty. Not really what I want, but that deal appears done. He will be a Free Agent, so at least he won't cost us anything.
Mitch McGovern is looking more likely than not, although the probability of getting a decent deal with ADELAIDE looks remote. Setterfield is still in Limbo.
Shiel is a low probability event, but other clubs think they have a chance. I'm not sure he will even leave. But he has looked over things at Carlton. Some in the media wish to upgrade their own interest (eg, Tim Watson and the Drug Cheats), but Shiel is keeping his cards close to his chest,
Menzel was brought up: but he is not a part of our plans. (Thank God!)
Brodie: that one has gone very quiet. Not sure what is going to happen there.
I am sure I have missed some: everybody seems to be linked to us at the moment, whether we really need them or not.

Potential Delistings, Retirements or Out-trades:
[1]   Matthew Kreuzer – No word about how he is going. A potential retirement.
[2]   Sam Kerridge – Kerridge has not been offered a contract at this time. It has been suggested that the club may rookie him, depending on how the trades go.
[3]   Jarrod Garlett – No mention of Garlett in dispatches since he went on for surgery. Not sure what is going to happen here. I think he has a contract, but paying it out is not impossible if he isn't headed in our direction.
[5]   Matthew Lobbe – Likely to remain with the cloud over Kreuzer, but he really isn't a long term option unless out midfield mutates into something unbeatable.
[6]   Nick Graham – Puss has not been offered a contract for 2019 yet, and has been told his fate depends on the trade period. To be honest, I think Puss has the highest probability of being elsewhere in 2019 of all of the potential list changes.
[7]   Andrew Phillips – Looks unlikely at the moment, but is not impossible.
[8]   Levi Casboult – Levi’s name has been conspicuous by its absence in trade talks. I think he will stay, but he could be a very interesting trade option.
[9]   Jed Lamb – I thought he would be unlikely to be under pressure with the way he finished the season, but his contract talks have also been put off until after the trades. He could be a rookie yet.

At this point we have 6 spots available on both lists.

Potential Additions:
[1]   Ben Silvagni – looking more likely as a rookie pick at this point. We have problems: we cannot bring in more guys than go out. I think Ben will be our last live pick, but ...

Other names on the trade list include Shiel (GWS), Dunstan (St.K), Dahlhaus (WB), McGovern (Ad), Setterfield (GWS), Lone (St.K) and more!

Rookie List:
Rookie players are able to play senior footy pretty much straight away, and conditions continue to change. However, the rookie list will remain in 2019.

Confirmed Departures:
[1]   Matt Shaw – not offered a new contract
[2]   Jesse Glass-McCasker – not offered a new contract and looking less likely to be offered a rookie spot with 4 senior potentially becoming rookies.
[3]   Alex Silvagni – Retired. I haven't heard anything of his intentions for 2019 yet.

Confirmed Additions:
Nobody at this point. But Lamb, Kerridge and Graham are now in the picture.

Possible further Departures:
[1]   Kym LeBois – Looking more probable as the trades go on. Possible delisting. To be honest, I am amazed he has survived this far.

Cat B Rookies:
[1]   Cillian McDaid
Definitely remaining for 2019.
But we can recruit more Cat B rookies, just not from Ireland.

Potential Additions:
[1]   Liam Hickmott – looking a bit more likely as he won the B&F for Colts in WA.
[2]   Will Hickmott - I am expected Will to be picked up, even with his less than stellar Carnival.
[3]   Ethan Penrith –signed with the Northern Blues for 2019, assuming he is not promoted.
[4]   Sam Fisher – I'd like to see Fisher get a go, but for a team on the bottom, we have remarkably few list changes in sight.
[5]   Jesse Palmer – looking unlikely now, with McGovern and Fasolo to compete with.

Conclusion:
I expect changes. We cannot trade everybody in without some players going out. We will have pick #1, unless we trade it (not likely). We then have 2 second rounders, then a 4th rounder. With the top echelon of this draft cohort looking very good, I simply cannot see us trading our way out of it. There is too much talent on offer. But the number of changes appear to be more significant than was expected not that long ago.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #78
The Weagles are Premiers for 2018 and things are not looking good for us. :( Lots of rumours and very few of them any good.

Update #5   01/10/2018
Senior List:
Looking forward for the Draft Camp. Lots of useful information on the way.

Confirmed Delistings:
[3]    Matthew Wright - he retired during the week and is heading to Adelaide as an assistant coach.

Confirmed Additions:
Nobody yet.
Alex Fasolo from Collingwood appear to be certainty. Not really what I want, but that deal appears done. He will be a Free Agent, so at least he won't cost us anything.
Mitch McGovern is looking more likely than not, although the probability of getting a decent deal with ADELAIDE looks remote.
Setterfield is still in Limbo, but looking a lot worse. The latest is that Essendon have offered him a deal which is supposedly better than our's. Apparently he agreed to us, but is now backing away from that in favour of his childhood drug cheats. If so, I will be very unimpressed. There is a reason I chose brown for the colour.
Shiel is a low probability event, but other clubs think they have a chance. I'm not sure he will even leave. But he has looked over things at Carlton. Some in the media wish to upgrade their own interest (eg, Tim Watson and the Drug Cheats), but Shiel is keeping his cards close to his chest,
Brodie: that one has gone very quiet. Not sure what is going to happen there.
I am sure I have missed some: everybody seems to be linked to us at the moment, whether we really need them or not.

[1]   Matthew Kreuzer – No word about how he is going. Apparently Geelong are interested in trading for Kreuzer, but what they have to realistically offer is another question entirely.
[2]   Sam Kerridge – Kerridge has not been offered a contract at this time. It has been suggested that the club may rookie him, depending on how the trades go.
[3]   Jarrod Garlett – No mention of Garlett in dispatches since he went on for surgery. Not sure what is going to happen here. I think he has a contract, but paying it out is not impossible if he isn't headed in our direction.
[5]   Matthew Lobbe – Looking more likely to remain, with the interest in Kreuzer. I find that amazing, but that is another matter.
[6]   Nick Graham – Puss has not been offered a contract for 2019 yet, and has been told his fate depends on the trade period. To be honest, I think Puss has the highest probability of being elsewhere in 2019 of all of the potential list changes.
[7]   Andrew Phillips – Looking more likely to remain and may end up being our #1 ruckman!
[8]   Levi Casboult – Levi’s name has been conspicuous by its absence in trade talks. I think he will stay, but he could be a very interesting trade option.
[9]   Jed Lamb – I thought he would be unlikely to be under pressure with the way he finished the season, but his contract talks have also been put off until after the trades. He could be a rookie yet.
[10]   Ciaran Byrne:   We knew he had gone back to Ireland, but the latest rumours have him not coming back. He wants to play with his brother, apparently, as he did just recently. I am unimpressed, but the probability of overseas players returning home is always high.
[11]   Tom Williamson   This one is news to me, but apparently Williamson’s injury issues are more serious that expected. I don’t know what to believe, but I don’t like it at all.

At this point we have 6 spots available on both lists, 3 certainties on the main list and 3 rookie picks. There have been talks of putting up to 3 players back to the rookie list. But with Byrne and Williamson now looking feim, there may well be 2 more senior spot available soon. :(  :'( :'( :'(

Potential Additions:
[1]   Ben Silvagni – Missed Premiership glory with a broken hand and has dropped much lower in calculations. I think Ben will be our last live pick, but that is much less likely now.

Other names on the trade list include Shiel (GWS), Dunstan (St.K),McGovern (Ad), Setterfield (GWS), Lonie (St.K) and more!

Rookie List:
Rookie players are able to play senior footy pretty much straight away, and conditions continue to change. However, the rookie list will remain in 2019.

Confirmed Departures:
[2]   Jesse Glass-McCasker – not offered a new contract and looking less likely to be offered a rookie spot with 4 senior potentially becoming rookies.
[3]   Alex Silvagni – Retired. I haven't heard anything of his intentions for 2019 yet.

Confirmed Additions:

[1]   Kym LeBois – Looking more probable as the trades go on. Possible delisting. To be honest, I am amazed he has survived this far.

Cat B Rookies:
[1]   Cillian McDaid
At this point he is looking likely to be our only Irishman in 2019, which is hugely disappointing. We have had a very poor run with our 'Irish experiments': the only durable one of the lot is Tuohy and he is now at Geelong. :(

Potential Additions:
[1]   Liam Hickmott – looking a bit more likely as he won the B&F for Colts in WA.
[2]   Will Hickmott - I am expected Will to be picked up, even with his less than stellar Carnival.
[3]   Ethan Penrith –signed with the Northern Blues for 2019, assuming he is not promoted. I expect him to remain with the NB's at this point.
[4]   Sam Fisher – I'd like to see Fisher get a go, but for a team on the bottom, we have remarkably few list changes in sight. How we go at getting trades will determine Fisher's fate.
[5]   Jesse Palmer – looking unlikely now, with McGovern and Fasolo to compete with.

Conclusion:
The potential of losing Byrne looms huge to me. He is a top liner if he can stay on the field. He also creates a hole in defence for a guy with real pace and athleticism. Similarly with Williamson: if he cannot come up, then our defence looses the pace and athleticism that made it look so flexible.
The more I am hearing about Setterfield, the less I am liking it, or him. I hate the idea of having Essendon grab him, but if he is not the answer we want ... :(
I would really like some good news for a change.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #79
Trade week (or 10 days) is off and running and the surprises continue.

Update #6   09/10/2018
Senior List:
SOS and his minions are having a busy time, so much that the Draft Camp stuff was largely overtaken by speculation as to who would go where. Well, some of the speculation has proven to be very much off the mark, while others have proven to accurate for my liking.
And we are a LONG WAY from finished yet.

Confirmed Delistings:

Confirmed Additions:
It sounds as if 2 deals have already been more or less finalized. However, they won't be confirmed until tomorrow. However, the biggest fish appears to have escaped us.  :'(
[1]   Alex Fasolo:   Fasolo completed a final medical check yesterday at the club and the I’s were dotted and the t’s crossed apparently this evening. Pity. He was not the sort of guy I was looking for, but that is now irrelevant. Know that he is headed our way, I hope he can make a big difference. But I’m not expecting it.
   The one I would have liked was McAdam from Sturt. However, he has been confirmed as part of the deal to get Mitch McGovern to the club.
[2]   Mitch McGovern:   A deal for McGovern is apparently pretty much done, although the details are still speculation. Definitely part of the deal was access to McAdam, who is now going to be an Adelaide small forward. Like Fasolo, McGovern was not at the top of my wish list, but he adds maturity and an excellent pair of hands to an inexperienced forward line.
[3]   Will Setterfield:   Setterfield’s deal is probably a few days off yet, but it does become almost a certainty. His team mate, Shiel, has chosen the Drug Cheats, to the shock of many (myself included). Setterfield is a guy SOS wanted a couple of years back: he bid on him but was matched by GWS. He is tall and has excellent disposal. He has also been hurt by injuries so far. The addition of Andrew Russell, from Hawthorn, hopefully will help us in that area, as he has masterminded the bodies of 6 premiership teams so far.

With Shiel out of the equation, other deals may well be struck, as SOS is very good at that.

[1]   Matthew Kreuzer – Apparently we have not shown much interest in Geelong's chase for Kreuzer. I haven't heard anything of his health either, but he looks unlikely to leave at this point.
[2]   Sam Kerridge – Looking to be on the rookie list as soon as this week.
[4]   Nick Graham – Midfielders are going here, mids are going there, but nobody appears very interested in Nick Graham. The most likely to be flicked at this point.
[5]   Levi Casboult – Levi’s name has now come up in trade talks, and we have been shopping him around. There has been some interest from GWS and a couple of others, but a trade is not looking that likely.
[9]   Jed Lamb – Looks to be headed to the rookie list.
[10]   Ciaran Byrne:   No knew news, but Byrne is still in Ireland and playing Gaelic Football. I'm not expecting him back at this point.
[11]   Tom Williamson   This one came out of nowhere last week. How reliable it is that his injuries are still problematical, I don't know.

At this point we have 6 spots available on both lists, 3 certainties on the main list and 3 rookie picks. With 3 recruits coming in and 3 senior list layers gone, there are no spots available at this time on the main list. This suggests that Lamb, Kerridge and Graham are bound for the rookie list. That would provide us with 3 draft selections. It is one of the reasons why I expect more changes to our list to come.

Potential Additions:
[1]   Ben Silvagni – Missed Premiership glory with a broken hand and has dropped much lower in calculations. I think Ben will be our last live pick, but that is much less likely now.

Rookie List:

Confirmed Departures:
[2]   Jesse Glass-McCasker – not offered a new contract

Confirmed Additions:

Cat B Rookies:
[1]   Cillian McDaid
At this point he is looking likely to be our only Irishman in 2019, which is hugely disappointing. We have had a very poor run with our 'Irish experiments': the only durable one of the lot is Tuohy and he is now at Geelong. :(

Potential Additions:
[4]   Sam Fisher – I'd like to see Fisher get a go, but for a team on the bottom, we have remarkably few list changes in sight. How we go at getting trades will determine Fisher's fate.

Conclusion:
Three guys coming in and none of them is Shiel. Quite possibly, none of them are champions. But we hope and we plan and we try again.
Three guys out, plus Kreuger and McAdam out of the question for deals so far completed. I would have liked McAdam. Nichevo.
Byrne looking unlikely, so another spot may open. Lots more news to come.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #80
Thanks for your comprehensive update Crash.
Re: Williamson and Kruez
Bolts mentioned both returning from injury to bolster the side during JNM speech.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #81
Thanks for your comprehensive update Crash.
Re: Williamson and Kruez
Bolts mentioned both returning from injury to bolster the side during JNM speech.
So I pray!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #82
Trade week has been very hectic so far and SOS has been busy. He has managed 3 'ins', guys he wanted. Now he can relax a bit and wait for teams to try to get pick #1. Apparently there have been offers that are close to being acceptable. The SA clubs are more desperate than a junkie after a fix.

Update #   12/10/2018
Senior List:
SOS and his minions are having a busy time, so much that the Draft Camp stuff was largely overtaken by speculation as to who would go where. Well, some of the speculation has proven to be very much off the mark, while others have proven to accurate for my liking.
And we are a LONG WAY from finished yet.

Confirmed Delistings:

Confirmed Additions:
3 deals finalized, not a lot of picks left, but SOS is still wheeling and dealing.
[1]   Alex Fasolo:   Confirmed FA
[2]   Mitch McGovern:   Confirmed trade
[3]   Will Setterfield:   Trade confirmed late today.

With Shiel out of the equation, other deals may well be struck, as SOS is very good at that.

[1]   Matthew Kreuzer – Apparently we have not shown much interest in Geelong's chase for Kreuzer. I can't see him leaving at the moment.
[2]   Sam Kerridge – Looking to be on the rookie list as soon as this week.
[3]   Jarrod Garlett – No mention of Garlett. Nada.
[4]   Nick Graham – Midfielders are going here, mids are going there, but nobody appears very interested in Nick Graham. The most likely to be flicked at this point.
[5]   Levi Casboult – Levi’s name has now come up in trade talks, and we have been shopping him around. There has been some interest from GWS and a couple of others, but a trade is not looking that likely.
[9]   Jed Lamb – Looks to be headed to the rookie list.
[10]   Ciaran Byrne:   I'm not expecting him back at this point.
[11]   Tom Williamson   Looking like he is OK after all. I can hope

At this point we have 6 spots available on both lists, 3 certainties on the main list and 3 rookie picks. With 3 recruits coming in and 3 senior list layers gone, there are no spots available at this time on the main list. This suggests that Lamb, Kerridge and Graham are bound for the rookie list. That would provide us with 3 draft selections. It is one of the reasons why I expect more changes to our list to come.

Potential Additions:

Apparently we have been having discussions with Michael Barlow and Hugh Goddard. Also Findlayson of GWS is in discussions with us. If we are to have ANY picks in the ND, then there will be guys leaving or being placed on the rookie list.

Rookie List:

Confirmed Departures:
[2]   Jesse Glass-McCasker – not offered a new contract

Confirmed Additions:
Nobody at this point. But Lamb, Kerridge and Graham are now almost certainties, unless traded out.

Cat B Rookies:
[1]   Cillian McDaid

Potential Additions:

Nothing mentioned in dispatches about any of these guys. I wonder of any of them will even get a chance?

Conclusion:
Three guys coming in and three guys out. We are talking to more guys and have drafted anyone yet. There will be more action or we won't be making any draft picks.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #83
HS reporting we signed that basketballer Matt Owies as int rookie.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/carlton-sign-former-australian-junior-basketballer-matt-owies-as-category-b-rookie/news-story/9157ca0bbd7e3a66857757018c366032

CARLTON has signed a former Australian junior basketballer as an international rookie B selection.

Matt Owies, 21, was a standout junior footballer with St Kevin’s until deciding to pursue a basketball career that took him to the US.

He was also a competition best and fairest winner in the Yarra Junior Football League at under-14 level.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #84
HS reporting we signed that basketballer Matt Owies as int rookie.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/carlton-sign-former-australian-junior-basketballer-matt-owies-as-category-b-rookie/news-story/9157ca0bbd7e3a66857757018c366032

CARLTON has signed a former Australian junior basketballer as an international rookie B selection.

Matt Owies, 21, was a standout junior footballer with St Kevin’s until deciding to pursue a basketball career that took him to the US.

He was also a competition best and fairest winner in the Yarra Junior Football League at under-14 level.

Low risk, high reward scenario.  Let's hope he regains his junior footy prowess.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85
Re father / sons.

Are the Hickmott boys on the radar??

All seems quiet on the western front.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #86
Re father / sons.

Are the Hickmott boys on the radar??

All seems quiet on the western front.

Getting down to free spots isnt it?......Graham, Kerridge, Lamb and Rowe dont have contracts and have Byrne looking less likely than likely...
We need to take three in the ND and have to choose what we do with Ben Silvagni and the Hickmott boys.
I think Rowe will survive, 50/50 on Lamb and the other two are cactus IMO.....
Then we have pick 1 and late rubbish picks...reckon one for Ben S and one for a Hickmott with the other Hickmott boy rookied....

Reply #87
Getting down to free spots isnt it?......Graham, Kerridge, Lamb and Rowe dont have contracts and have Byrne looking less likely than likely...
We need to take three in the ND and have to choose what we do with Ben Silvagni and the Hickmott boys.
Then we have pick 1 and late rubbish picks...reckon one for Ben S and one for a Hickmott with the other Hickmott boy rookied....

Rowe and Lamb may well be rookied too.

Le Bois will likely be cut so there may be  4 rookie spots
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #88

We NEED to have spots available for the father/sons. If nobody bids, sweet, rookie spot it is. But if we don't have spots on our list, and people bid....they're gone.

I reckon we might delist a few 'extras' like Lamb, and pick them back up as a rookie if nobody bites. I don't think Pickett is contracted beyond this year either.

Otherwise we need to start trading away some players who are contracted. Ideally, piss off Casboult to anyone who will take him. Otherwise, we've probably got a ruckman for sale. Kreuzer, Phillips or Lobbe to the highest bidder. We'd then need to rookie one to make up the shortfall in rucks.

Of course, we are going to have the same exact problem next year. At least we might get some retirements to 'help' in that regard....Simpson, Daisy, Rowe....Murphy, Kreuzer?

Reply #89

We NEED to have spots available for the father/sons. If nobody bids, sweet, rookie spot it is. But if we don't have spots on our list, and people bid....they're gone.

I reckon we might delist a few 'extras' like Lamb, and pick them back up as a rookie if nobody bites. I don't think Pickett is contracted beyond this year either.

Otherwise we need to start trading away some players who are contracted. Ideally, piss off Casboult to anyone who will take him. Otherwise, we've probably got a ruckman for sale. Kreuzer, Phillips or Lobbe to the highest bidder. We'd then need to rookie one to make up the shortfall in rucks.

Of course, we are going to have the same exact problem next year. At least we might get some retirements to 'help' in that regard....Simpson, Daisy, Rowe....Murphy, Kreuzer?

Which brings me back to the question I asked before.

Are we interested in the Hickmott boys.??

There has been stuff-all publicity about them.
The rest I just wasted.