Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 548045 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1980
Life's more interesting when bowlers have a chance. Funny coincidence how we rolled out roads for India.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1981
Life's more interesting when bowlers have a chance. Funny coincidence how we rolled out roads for India.

Yes, very funny!  >:D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1982
Why do we persist in giving Starc the new ball to waste?

Reply #1984
When is this pie chucker going to bowl his "hero ball"? When did he last land his full bunger? Perth?

Time for Cummins to take the new ball,  long over due.

Starc has been poor for three consecutive series,  time for him to find form in the shield and give another young quick a try.  Balls wide down leg suggests that he has technical issues to address.

Reply #1985
Cummins did the job this test. Maybe a few people will look in his direction now.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1986
Cummins did the job this test. Maybe a few people will look in his direction now.

Think we need to be careful we dont over burden Cummins and give him too much to do...Hazlewood back in the team for Starc and to open the bowling with Richardson with Cummins 1st change.
I'd also be careful in assessing this performance...Sri Lanka are terrible and nothing like the teams that had great players like Sangakarra, Vass,Jayasuriya,Murali etc, this is the worst test team of the established cricket nations in the world by a long way...

Reply #1987
Didn't stop them flogging us at home.   We're no great shakes either EB,  I'm taking what we get.

Khawaja and Start out this test,  which is basically a practice match for all intents and purposes.

Reply #1988
Didn't stop them flogging us at home.   We're no great shakes either EB,  I'm taking what we get.

Khawaja and Start out this test,  which is basically a practice match for all intents and purposes.

Would like to see us blooding Picovski in the next test, Khawaja has been tried and come up short on multiple occasions. If Smith and Warner come back into this team they add instant experience and stability around which the younger players can flourish.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #1989
Marnus to three, Puchovski to six,  Stoinis seven,  plus a replacement for Starc.  Tremain?

Tough on Patterson after one test but we've got to have an eye to the Ashes etc and have multiple blokes eligible for county cricket.  

Pretty clear that the selectors have ruled a line through older blokes  like Maxwell,  Finch,  the Marshes .... Maybe Khawaja too. We're looking at generational change here.

Reply #1990
Marnus to three, Puchovski to six,  Stoinis seven,  plus a replacement for Starc.  Tremain?

Tough on Patterson after one test but we've got to have an eye to the Ashes etc and have multiple blokes eligible for county cricket.  

Pretty clear that the selectors have ruled a line through older blokes  like Maxwell,  Finch,  the Marshes .... Maybe Khawaja too. We're looking at generational change here.

Patterson will play next test and probably Starc too as he has credits in the bank. Richardson gives us a ready to go option for the Ashes which is great for the team, a couple of young bats that can handle the swinging ball would be great.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #1991
To my way of thinking, Starc is trying too hard and is out of form. I'd give him a rest, then get him to play in the Shield for a while. He can find some form and confidence, maybe even some rhythm, and certainly a good dose of fun. A refreshed and in-form Starc is a weapon to use in the Ashes. But the one we have toiling away at the moment is not getting anywhere for anyone.

At the moment there are some quicks going around: Boland, Tremaine and a number of others. I would give one of them an opportunity. The Manuka pitch has a history of being a road, unlike the 'Gabba, which is the most 'Australian friendly' pitch we have. Other states could really learn from the 'Gabba, especially the MCG and the SCG, whose pitches have been albatrosses around our necks.

I would also drop Khawaja: he hasn't been able to get himself into any form this summer. He went from injury to test cricket (because we needed him badly), and it didn't work. His timing touch and aggressive instincts are not there. He also needs a week or 2 rest, and a good period of Shield cricket to get him prepared for England.
If he can't find form, then I wouldn't take him: English conditions do not favour a batsman who is struggling, as the ball moves around more.

Warner and Smith have to come into the side on talent, but both are under injury clouds at the moment. That doesn't help our Ashes preparation at all. A half fit Smith might be better than a half fit Khawaja, but it won't help anyone in England.

I would give Pucovski a game, a taste of what he will be facing for the next decade. He can't do any worse than Khawaja has, nor Marsh before him. I think he should go to England, even though I can't see him in the team as a permanent fixture yet.

There are a few guys, like Wade, who have put their hands up. It is probably too late for them to get into the team at the moment, but with a possible 17 man squad for England, there are places there for guys who perform.

NB: The bouncy pitch in the Caribbean showed that even a good looking English team can be smashed on the right sort of pitches. The various ground trusts need to note that and prepare pitches that suit us. Like the 'Gabba, which is a drop in pitch. If they can get it right, then so can the rest. Providing pitches that suit the opposition is the WRONG way of going about things. Other countries doctor their pitches, especially in Asia. Turn-about is fair play!
NB: The guy who did the 'Gabba did the pitch at Cairns for the test match there. The pitch for the test there wasn't perfect, but it had similar characteristics to what we want. If Cairns can do it, the rest certainly can!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1992
I believe the Gabba is the only test venue with an in ground wicket block,  not drop ins.

Reply #1993
Richardson looks handy but very little opposition...

It was more about how he bowled than who he bowled too. A couple of those deliveries in the first innings were brilliant to the point of unplayable. You won't see a better delivery than the one he got rid of Mendis with by anyone all year.

Reply #1994
Typical of the humility of the bloke, Cummins gets a big write up in the papers....and all he keeps mentioning is how Starc is still the main man.  As I said, fantastic loyalty & humility.....but sadly misguided.

Cummins is the #1 bowler in the team....by a huge margin, also reflected in his shooting up the rankings to #3 in the world.  Starting to get beyond a joke if he's not given a shot at the new ball in the next test.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.