Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547004 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #2010
We could bowl underarm and it wouldn't matter on this pitch.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2011
Batsmen still find ways to get out,  even on a benign pitch.

Starc is bowling hell quick but worringingly,  still no movement,  and the Lanka batters have played the quick bowlers appallingly.   Seriously,  one of them is going to get badly hurt handling bowlers like that. Helmet or not,  take your eyes off the pill and you're asking for trouble.

Ducking into balls,  treading on the wicket,  going the periscope.... It isn't going to get easier when their tour continues to South Africa.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #2012
Going to be interesting in England, the Poms have been appalling vs the Windies and their batting looks as about as reliable as ours..with Smith and Warner back in we might favourites. Khawaja made runs today but it was junk time stuff and i remain unconvinced about him but now he is a cert to be picked for England...

Reply #2013
Starc getting 5 & Khawaja getting a ton in this barely first class match is the worst thing that could have happened leading up the the Ashes.....they will now be a lock in for all 5 tests...

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #2014
Starc getting 5 & Khawaja getting a ton in this barely first class match is the worst thing that could have happened leading up the the Ashes.....they will now be a lock in for all 5 tests...
Hard not to lock Starc in however agree on Khawaja as this series came at the perfect time for him. No guarantees he wont let us down in England.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #2015
Starcs rhythm is good but he still isn't bowling well.  I don't think short fast and a lot of crap will work well in England,  and he'll be expensive.   Rarely managed a decent full ball,  many over pitched on leg or outside off volleys than were dispatched. Good lengths and movement is what you want over there and he isn't offering that at the moment.

Reply #2016
Brett Lee had his day when speed was number one in his head. More so than line and length. Speed isn’t everything. It’s a bonus but not the be all end all.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #2017
4 for 22 off 10 overs....

Surely he's finding his form (even if the batters are sub par)?

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #2018
Brett Lee had his day when speed was number one in his head. More so than line and length. Speed isn’t everything. It’s a bonus but not the be all end all.

I'd almost go as far to say pace is the least important thing about fast bowling, accuracy, repeatability, control, endurance, cunning and subtly are all more important than pace.

I think too many batsmen select test teams, they pick pure pace because it's what gave them the biggest scare as in crapting themselves! But the people doing the picking forget that the pace that really put the wind up them, Lillee, McGrath, Garner, Holding, Roberts, Ambrose, Donald, Akram, Khan, etc, etc, all had ridiculous levels of control.

The pace bowlers without the control, guys like Akhtar, Tait, Malinga, Edwards, etc., etc, barely rate a mention in relation to the rest!

If Anderson is fit for the Ashes he'll be all over our batsmen at only about 90% of Starc's pace!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2019
Heck of a lot better lengths and some movement. 

Reply #2020
Heck of a lot better lengths and some movement.

One could be buoyed by the latest Starc effort, but then Labuschagne started getting wickets and that tells you something about the opposition! It's like being dismissed by Little Johnny Howard and his subcontinent leggies! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2021
I'd almost go as far to say pace is the least important thing about fast bowling, accuracy, repeatability, control, endurance, cunning and subtly are all more important than pace.

Trouble is.....you can obtain all of that with repetition & training & experience.......you can't teach or obtain extreme pace...so, to be a great FAST bowler (not a fast medium), you have to have pace to start with.  It is the essential building block.

Reply #2022
Trouble is.....you can obtain all of that with repetition & training & experience.......you can't teach or obtain extreme pace...so, to be a great FAST bowler (not a fast medium), you have to have pace to start with.  It is the essential building block.

How long before Starc gets in then, before he retires?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2023
How long before Starc gets in then, before he retires?

:-)

yep, well.....some do learn....some just don't !

Reply #2024
BTW, did anyone watch that underarm docco last night ?.  I had some pre-conceived fears about what it would be like……and it was exactly as I predicted.

Over dramatized, presenting the poor little Kiwis as being hard done by the whole summer, including the balls leading up to that last one (Hadlees LBW was just stone dead out …..end of story),  no interviews with the real senior players in the side apart from Chappell (Lillee, Marsh ),  and I get the feeling that some NZ players (Howarth particularly) just have never let it go…….get over it…..