Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 8312 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #75
Stocker and Ramsay in for me......
Williamson and SPS out...

Murphy deserves to go out before SPS imo.

Play Stocker off HBF, SPS to that mid/high HF spot.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #76
Murphy deserves to go out before SPS imo.

Play Stocker off HBF, SPS to that mid/high HF spot.
I'd have both Murphy and SPS out...but Murphy is being nursed to 300 and is an automatic selection by default.
SPS is too lazy and frustrating, I'm over him and he would be on my trade out list at seasons end.
I'd be playing Stocker in the middle where I saw him play well in the U18's, can get the ball, distribute and has a initial burst of pace. Our midfield is disappointing and needs revamping....

Reply #77
Agree EB...talk of moving Williams back onto a HBF is ridiculous....he was recruited to play in the middle and add some run and carry. It's in the middle that we're being thrashed apart from Walsh. Saad, Plowman and Docherty should be able to provide what's needed down back....and I'd be playing McGovern down there this week too. With Daniher, McStay and Hipwood we'll need someone else....and Williamson isn't the one.

Similarly, Murphy should be playing in the guts....not as an outside small forward. If he can't do that, back to the VFL.

Reply #78
Agree EB...talk of moving Williams back onto a HBF is ridiculous....he was recruited to play in the middle and add some run and carry. It's in the middle that we're being thrashed apart from Walsh. Saad, Plowman and Docherty should be able to provide what's needed down back....and I'd be playing McGovern down there this week too. With Daniher, McStay and Hipwood we'll need someone else....and Williamson isn't the one.

Similarly, Murphy should be playing in the guts....not as an outside small forward. If he can't do that, back to the VFL.
For sure Surfie we will need help down back, McStay is 196cm and he is the shortest out of those three talls so we need another tall defender, not sure about McGovern but no harm trying him  there.
Williams is a midfielder in training and thats where the issue is IMO, you cant expect him to be totally across the position yet and
I think we will try and get a few goals out of him too while he plays a Martin type role and spends time forward and onball.
Murphy should be in the VFL now IMO, time to bite the bullet and play some kids in the roles they were recruited for.
eg Setterfield...been a mess this season IMO, timid and really out of sorts, perhaps time in the middle and back to his original role can shake him out of the lethargy he seems to be in. Ed Curnow has been a warrior but Setterfields time is now and I want to see him at the coalface getting more minutes than Ed....

Reply #79
Yes Curnow has been a warrior but for now, he's still our best option as a run-with tagging sort of player....he's got the tank for it and likely to get the job on Neale.

I like the idea of Williams in the midfield...his disposal is usually pretty good and we really don't have any others with that breakaway speed that he's got. If it takes him a bit of time to adjust, then so be it....but don't throw him back onto a HBF now.

Reply #80
I'd be playing Stocker in the middle where I saw him play well in the U18's, can get the ball, distribute and has a initial burst of pace. Our midfield is disappointing and needs revamping....

Something i touched on in an earlier post.

Stocker played U18's as a mid.
He was drafted as a mid.
In our recent practice matches, the message from the club said he excelled as a mid and 'came into his own'.
Yet....
As soon as he joined the club, we said we'd turn him into a defender.
Despite showing signs (years later) that he is a mid, we still say he can't get into the side unless its as a defender.

As some fish and chip owner once said....
Please explain!

Reply #81
Yes Curnow has been a warrior but for now, he's still our best option as a run-with tagging sort of player....he's got the tank for it and likely to get the job on Neale.

I like the idea of Williams in the midfield...his disposal is usually pretty good and we really don't have any others with that breakaway speed that he's got. If it takes him a bit of time to adjust, then so be it....but don't throw him back onto a HBF now.
I'm tending to move away from tagging and being like a negative midpack team, Ed still does the job ok but I just
see that as zero progression and I'd rather the semi tag where at stoppages the opposing player is tagged and marked hard
but then after that you back your players in like the good teams do. I want Setterfield being the next Jack Steele who can win plenty of ball and be damaging but also have half an eye on Cripps and reduce his output rather than be the next Ed Curnow who tags heavily but doesnt really hurt the opposition.

Reply #82
In Stocker Cunners

Out Dow Kennedy Williamson
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #83
Geez Kennedy is unlucky IMO. Not given anywhere near the chances that some others have had.

Reply #84
Disappointed in the Kennedy out.
Would have liked to see him get a string of games.
Doesn't bode well for his future at the club.
Suggests he's already been judged.

At the end of the day though there are only so many spots.

Reply #85
Geez Kennedy is unlucky IMO. Not given anywhere near the chances that some others have had.

Played out of position on the wing... very unlucky.

Our conservative selection policy continues. A boldness free zone.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #86
In Stocker Cunners

Out Dow Kennedy Williamson

Is Kennedy being punished for something ? Is he a PITA off field ? Did he make a pass at the coach's wife ? Run over the family dog ? His omission is a real head scratcher. Williamson is fair enough based on form. And Dow's existence in limbo continues.

Reply #87
Played out of position on the wing... very unlucky.

Our conservative selection policy continues. A boldness free zone.

"Played out of position" seems to be a common theme these days :(

Reply #88
Agreed Baggers...if McGovern is to be played back this week, then Kennedy could easily play a role similar to Silvagni as a pressure forward, 3rd forward...he can take a mark and kick a goal....and have the odd run in the middle.

Cunningham would need to show something this weekend and for the rest of the year otherwise he's trade bait too.

Reply #89
Kennedy should have his own TV show called the Fall guy,  I wouldnt expect to see him at the club next season.
He would get a run of games if the club had faith in him but clearly like the last few seasons he is on the outer
and needs a miracle to stay on the list IMO.
While having no confidence in the incoming deckchair Cuningham lets hope he gets more of a go than Kennedy so at least a proper assessment can be made on his future.