Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 8087 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Premonitions: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #60
Anyone having trouble with tickets? Keep getting the "unfortunately, there are no upgrade available for this Member code".

No point phoning Ticketmaster they sit you in a que for thirty minutes than hang up. The Club the same, just about ready to give up on this process!

Had no issues with mine. Only issue for me is that it is downstairs on L1 on the 50, were as in past years I could walk up to L4 on the wing and have a good view of the ground.

Reply #61
https://www.afl.com.au/news/599194/out-of-the-cold-the-key-to-stocker-s-afl-return-after-38-touch-vfl-game

A bit hard on Stocker saying he has to "prove himself as a defender"? At the start of the year we had a glut of defenders and then brought in Saad and Williams. Now Teague saying Williams might go back, McGovern might go back.

IMH for this week....Williamson definitely out! McGovern to play back as a third tall....Stocker onto a half back flank or a wing and SPS in the middle (that's if he holds his spot in the team). If Cunningham comes in, not sure who he replaces?

The back 6 could look like:

Docherty           Jones          McGovern
Saad               Weitering      Stocker/Plowman

Reply #62
A bit hard on Stocker saying he has to "prove himself as a defender"? At the start of the year we had a glut of defenders and then brought in Saad and Williams.

Stupid thing about this was we are trying to play him as a defender. We trained him up as a defender. For whatever reason, we gave him a crack in the midfield in some match simulation and he dominated. Thats where he plays his best football. Thats where he feels comfortable.

So he plays loose across half back and dominates, so he MUST (?) come in as a defender?

Here's an idea.....
Bring Stocker in, start him on the bench.
Bring him on, let him have 5 minutes in the guts and see how he goes.
Then you wanna swap him out, let him go to half back.
Move SPS from half back and put him in the guts.
See if SPS magically plays better in his preferred position.

At the end of the day, you have 2 half backs/midfielders swapping between those 2 positions and seeing if they can actually play any of them to a reasonable standard.

Stop pigeon holing both of them as half back or nothing....it doesn't help us.

Reply #63
I’m guessing no changes...

Maybe Dow in and Stockster sub.

Reply #64
Agreed Kruddler....doesn't make any sense at all. We've tried to make a defender out of SPS and look how that's turned out. If he's good enough for the 22 then play him. He's already got enough pressure on him as it is given the circumstances surrounding how he was drafted.

Can't see how Dow gets another go after just a week out and didn't do much in the VFL. Don't wanna be too hard on him but he needs a good 5-6 weeks in the VFL to find the footy a bit and build up some confidence.

Stocker in for Williamson might be the only change.

Reply #65
Stocker and Ramsay in for me......
Williamson and SPS out...

Reply #66
Stocker and Ramsay in for me......
Williamson and SPS out...
It will be the usual suspects back in, Setterfield, Cameo Cunningham etc. SPS will not be dropped, has pictures of someone in the nude.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #67
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/afl-2021-is-it-time-carltons-veterans-started-getting-the-chop/news-story/957c14cf04f02449726ef0e20e7abc36

AFL 2021: How Carlton has mistreated its prized youngsters

The ‘ins’ and ‘outs’ at Carlton make for dull and repetitive reading.

Perhaps the Blues’ match committee listens to Katy Perry’s hit Hot n Cold when they pick their teams.

They have dropped seven players since Round 13 last season.

In order, those 2020 omissions were Josh Honey (after making his AFL debut), Matthew Cottrell (after playing two consecutive games), Matthew Owies (after making his AFL debut) and Lochie O’Brien (after playing his only game for the season).

The players punted this year are O’Brien (again after playing one game), Tom Williamson (after playing two games), Will Setterfield (after playing one game) and Paddy Dow.

The message from loyal coach David Teague appears to be clear: If you are over 22 and in the 22 then you are not the problem.

It seems the likes of Marc Murphy, Eddie Betts, Ed Curnow, Jack Newnes, Mitch McGovern and Lachie Plowman are all immune.

At other clubs it is not just the kids who must play by the standards set.

Mitch Wallis and Jason Johannisen (Western Bulldogs), Daniel Rioli and Nathan Broad (Richmond), Jared Polec (North Melbourne), Mason Cox (Collingwood) and Greater Western Sydney captain Stephen Coniglio have all fallen out of their teams in that period.

In Round 5 the Blues rolled out the sixth-oldest and fifth-most experienced line-up – a similar age profile to contenders Richmond, West Coast, Geelong and Brisbane Lions.

Delve deeper at Carlton and it is hard not to sympathise with some of these kids, where the only constant is change.

Take a look at Setterfield.

In Round 2 the Blues played the inside midfielder out of position, spending 84 per cent on a wing.

Setterfield struggled, missed Round 3 with illness, was brought back for Round 4 and then dropped for Round 5. Good luck finding form.

Take a look at Dow, who was undoubtedly struggling and deservedly dropped after Round 4.

But instead of letting him find form in the VFL, Dow sat on the MCG bench as the unused medical substitute against Port Adelaide.

Take a look at O’Brien, who played 17 games in 2019 on the wing as the No. 10 draft pick’s confidence grew exponentially.

Then, the Blues brought in delisted free agent Jack Newnes, 28. O’Brien has played just two games since.

Take a look at Williamson.

In 2017 the late draft pick played 15 games as a shining light in defence.

Williamson missed all of 2018 with a back injury, was brought back after just two VFL games in 2019, broke down again and has not looked the same since.

In 2017 he was cool under pressure. Now Williamson has a case of the fumbles.

This season is make or break for a lot of these kids – Cottrell, Honey, O’Brien, Owies, Parks, Setterfield and Matthew Kennedy are all out of contact.

Do Carlton fans have a read on whether they are any good?

Would they rather get a glimpse of one-game unknowns Honey or Owies up forward or watch the slow demise of Murphy and Betts?

Sam Philp us another question mark. The top-20 draft pick was put in for two games last year. He hasn’t been seen since. Flexible midfielder Sam Ramsay is in good form and still hasn’t been seen.

Ironically, the exception to the in-and-out rule – Sam Petrevski-Seton – probably would’ve benefited from being dropped, rather than handed games.

Different cat David Cuningham is out of favour because his pressure numbers are low. But Murphy is rated below-average for forward-half pressure points and tackles by Champion Data while Betts is rated average.

This week Liam Stocker and perhaps Cuningham are in line to play.

The Blues aren’t sure Stocker runs hard enough defensively. But after 38 VFL disposals last week he will be hard to ignore.

Will he come in for one week? Two weeks? And who will he replace? History says it won’t be a big name.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #68
The media are weathervanes telling fans what they want to hear. Just 72hrs ago we were being accused by the media of playing kids who didn't deserve a run, gifting games to kids who were not ready.

Now we are apparently cutting them from the squad undeservedly!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
The reason why Teague won't give kids an extended run is because he saw what happened to Bolton. The media are shameless and morally bankrupt.

Reply #70
All I want to see this week, and for the next 17 games, is committed effort, and players in their right positions, the latter my only real knock on Teague. If players are played in positions they are familiar with their productivity will surely be much better. Wrong positions can only confuse players. Still, the players need to be fully committed for more than 2 weeks in a row.

Reply #71
If there are any kids in the 2s who would have a decent crack at it, I say bring them in.

On thing for sure, if we think the same formula will bring a different result, we haven't learned much.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #72
If there are any kids in the 2s who would have a decent crack at it, I say bring them in.

On thing for sure, if we think the same formula will bring a different result, we haven't learned much.
Some might even say its insanity (by definition).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #73
All I want to see this week, and for the next 17 games, is committed effort, and players in their right positions, the latter my only real knock on Teague. If players are played in positions they are familiar with their productivity will surely be much better. Wrong positions can only confuse players. Still, the players need to be fully committed for more than 2 weeks in a row.

And if not?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #74
Is part of the problem playing players in their 'right positions' the fact that for many of them the 'right position' is the same as a number of other players.
If Stocker and SPS's right positions are midfielders....what about the other midfielders.

How do we go picking a team of players in their 'right positions.'
I suspect it wouldn't be an easy task.
Hence the compromises....some half-forward or back.