Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 13: Northern Blues vs Collingwood (Read 11413 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 13: Northern Blues vs Collingwood

Reply #15
Mostly accurate and realistic IMO.

x2. Yep, accurate and realistic.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #16
11.2.68 Pies to 3.4.22 Blues @ half time.
As the score line shows, we've been horrible. Slow, reactionary, putting little to no pressure on the oposition. Jones has taken a couple of nice marks and Boeky kicked a nice goal, but positives are few & far between.
Smith is definitelyplaying.
Nice to see Charlie C, Gallucci, and Cuningham in the crowd supporting the boys.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #18
Coll 7.1 NB 0.1.1 poor start
We started appallingly yesterday. By the time my daughter and I got there it was quarter time and the damage had been done. From that point we were the better team and worked our way back into the game. Skills: well, not do good and it was not always easy to identify players on the other side of the ground in the dark.

AFL Victoria Development League
Box Hill Hawks   5.1  12.2  14.7  16.10 (106)
Northern Blues   2.0  5.1  7.1  11.3 (69)

GOALS:
Box Hill Hawks: Mcintyre 3 Sullivan 3 Langford 2 Murphy 2 Surman  Gordon  Traynor  Williams  Evans  O'Sullivan
Northern Blues: Brown 3 Bolger 2 Cyster 2 Payne  Strachan  Curnow  Stevens

BEST:
Box Hill Hawks: Cox Lock Kennedy Gordon Williams Murphy
Northern Blues: Brown Stevens Cripps Vesnaver Strachan Krithararis

We were good here after half time, but the damage had also been done. Curnow got a goal.

Peter Jackson VFL 2016
Collingwood   7.1  11.2  12.6  15.9 (99)
Northern Blues   0.3  3.4  9.8  13.8 (86)

GOALS:
Collingwood: Ferguson 3 Howe 2 White 2 Borthwick 2 Hellier  Gault  Golds  Witts  Wyatt  Pendlebury
Northern Blues: Jaksch 2 Jones 2 Boekhorst 2 Kerbatieh 2 Buckley  Wilson  Wood  Jones  Barrett

BEST:
Collingwood: White Smith Oxley Moloney Ferguson Gray
Northern Blues: Graham Wood Totevski Whiley Buckley Gowers

There were some good signs, but we just couldn't find the steadiness when it mattered.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #19
DISPOSALS: Graham 36, Whiley 26, Kerbatieh 22, Gowers 21, T. Jones 21, Wilson 21, Buckley 19

Haven't seen the final stats yet, but I'll do my best anyway.

Buckley: unsighted early, but came into the game nicely and showed some dash. With Byrne going down, there is a pot in defence that he could fill. He could have had a couple more goals, but we were pretty ordinary for a while.

Liam Jones: he must have got cold early, we were so hopeless, but he gave a good target after quarter time. Our forward structures didn't help him much, and I was looking for chasing and tackling, but I didn't see as much as I would like. Still, he gave a target and must come into consideration for next week.

Matt Dick: not his best game at all. He usually dominates at this level, but he really struggled to get the ball. I didn't notice him after time - was he injured?

Tutt: didn't play. he was emergency for the seniors. He was missed.

Foster: OK in patches, but was out-marked a few times. Not our worst, but not the sort of game that would see him remain next year. In fact, he was on Jessie White for a while and White was one of Collingwood's best.

Glass-McCasker: Not as impressive as he was last week. Defended well enough against Gault when he had that task.

Cameron Wood: His best game for the year by a long way. He was adequate in the ruck, but he took marks around the ground, got centre clearances and generally gave Collingwood a headache. When he got on top of Witts we got back into the game. He rucked a lot smarter than Witts, which I was very happy about. he formed a great relationship with Puss.

Nick Graham: not many marks, but played the sort of game he was playing last year to get noticed. He was at the bottom of the packs and getting clearances. An excellent game.

Billy Gowers: he and a couple of Magpies obviously didn't get along well, but Gowers managed to get a the ball more and looked pretty good. Very solid in the air and didn't make many mistakes.

Whiley: he really lifted after the 1st quarter and was very solid. Not always sure it was him in the dark, as he and a couple of others had similar hair. :) Showed more thought today than he has in the past. He can be happy with his effort.

Boekhorst: it actually took me quite a while to realize that 51 was Boekhorst. he was pretty good in patches, but his disposal by hand was woeful. He stuffed up 3 scoring opportunities with poor disposal and I was ready to send him back to the Development League. Then he would do something good and I would again think he had a future. Pretty rusty and will be better for the run.

Dillon Viojo - Rainbow: Not as good as last week, but he didn't look 100% from about half way through the 2nd quarter. Skittles needs more consistency.

Clem Smith: a couple of nice cameos, but he struggled to get near the ball. His days are numbered.

Matt Korchek: not bad in the ruck, but got out-bodied a few times by Witts. When he does get the tap, it usually goes to our advantage. Still, a long way to go yet for this American.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #20
Would like to see gowers get a go seems a good fit with Byrne out. Him or Buckley. If nick graham can't get a game in our midfield he has a limited future

Reply #21
Would like to see gowers get a go seems a good fit with Byrne out. Him or Buckley. If nick graham can't get a game in our midfield he has a limited future

Gowers has built himself up to a decent size and I reckon we need another big bodied mis as we looked a bit weak and intimidated by Collingwood.....the Crows are very strong in the midfield with some big bodies and I would be promoting Gowers for Byrne and having a good look at him in the seniors.
While Graham had 36 and Buckley was ok its Gowers size and blue collar approach we need IMO....

Reply #22
Gowers has built himself up to a decent size and I reckon we need another big bodied mis as we looked a bit weak and intimidated by Collingwood.....the Crows are very strong in the midfield with some big bodies and I would be promoting Gowers for Byrne and having a good look at him in the seniors.
While Graham had 36 and Buckley was ok its Gowers size and blue collar approach we need IMO....

Agreed, 100% on the money!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
Agree but I bet they will go with Graham, see that he isn't up to AFL level and drop him the following week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #24

Yep, EB1, as the Spotted Cat said... 100% on the money.

Loved reading from Captain CRASH that Gowers made some enemies at Rottingwood, I love that about him...as they say, hard as a cat's head and plays close to the line. Brings hardness to the contest which Graham and Buckley haven't the body for. Like Buckley, Gowers is a bloody good kick and likes to run and take on the game.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #25
Interesting stats.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #27
Our mids had heaps of ball but we got flogged.... Must have been a truckload of junk possessions.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #28
Anyone know why he didn't play?
Didnt he and Curnow play in the development side?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
Our mids had heaps of ball but we got flogged.... Must have been a truckload of junk possessions.

Grahame especially looks like he had a very busy day!
Reality always wins in the end.