Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 14; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 25021 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 14; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #15
Just be careful with this news regarding Murphy...lots of conflicting info floating around at present.

Just say and write what you want....you'll be right half the time.  ::)

Reply #16
Gibbs wasn't going until the day he did.

Gibbs wanted out the year before, it hardly came as a shock when he left.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #17
Murphy is hanging out for a big offer he cant refuse and thats fair enough...it would be silly to think that a bloke like Paul Connors is going to advise
him to just re-sign with us without exploring the market.

If no offer comes then he will re-sign with us but I think any finals bound team offering decent money will get his signature.....he will always be a Carlton player but
that extra money/finals will make him leave the fold for a couple of years IMO....

When he says he is focused on the return not the future then you know he is open and happy to leave for the right offer IMO...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-18/blues-captain-marc-murphy-focused-on-return-not-future

Reply #18
Murphy is hanging out for a big offer he cant refuse and thats fair enough...it would be silly to think that a bloke like Paul Connors is going to advise

If no offer comes then he will re-sign with us but I think any finals bound team offering decent money will get his signature.....he will always be a Carlton player but
that extra money/finals will make him leave the fold for a couple of years IMO....

When he says he is focused on the return not the future then you know he is open and happy to leave for the right offer IMO...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-18/blues-captain-marc-murphy-focused-on-return-not-future

Yep exactly what I thought....

IMO considering what we are going through on the field, regardless of our mixed opinions on whether we want him to stay or not, ideally we would all want our 'captain' to show support of the direction we are going and clearly state he is not jumping what looks at the moment to be a sinking ship. 

BTW why no comment from Cripps and Charlie about all the media talk last week of them agreeing to terms...…..OMG imagine they don't resign at years end :-\

Just when you think things couldn't get worse.....  

Reply #19
Just be careful with this news regarding Murphy...lots of conflicting info floating around at present.
Agree, I watched the interview where he was door stopped at PP and he said nothing to suggest he has decided to stay. He said:
- He wants to focus on getting back from injury in the next to weeks to lead the team
- He hasnt spoken to his manager yet.
- He spoke about the effort in the first half on Sat was not acceptable and not what they stand for.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20

A player his age who has missed half a season due to injury isn't going to be in a strong bargaining position with any club. Unless he decides to chase a flag on much lower coin (and we get something worthwhile as compensation) he'll be wearing navy blue next year.

Reply #21
Here I am thinking Murphy looks closer to retiring than he does being traded.  He's had a very ordinary five years and has injured every limb on his body.

Lost a yard too.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
Here I am thinking Murphy looks closer to retiring than he does being traded.  He's had a very ordinary five years and has injured every limb on his body.

Lost a yard too.

He won our b&f last year and was super for the first half of the year

Reply #23
Agree, I watched the interview where he was door stopped at PP and he said nothing to suggest he has decided to stay. He said:
- He wants to focus on getting back from injury in the next to weeks to lead the team
- He hasnt spoken to his manager yet.
- He spoke about the effort in the first half on Sat was not acceptable and not what they stand for.

Call me naive but I would have liked our CAPTAIN to come out with a strong endorsement of the clubs future and his commitment to it. Whilst I don’t hold it against him for exploring options the fact this is playing out in the media is very disappointing particularly after the weekend we’ve just had. A little window into his MO and further evidence as to how poor a leader he actually is.

Reply #24

Lost a yard too.

Thry, really?

Marc Murphy Stats

Whether you like him or not it's hard to call those stats for the last five years ordinary by any standard!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
Call me naive but I would have liked our CAPTAIN to come out with a strong endorsement of the clubs future and his commitment to it. Whilst I don’t hold it against him for exploring options the fact this is playing out in the media is very disappointing particularly after the weekend we’ve just had. A little window into his MO and further evidence as to how poor a leader he actually is.

Pretty hard to disagree with this sadly.

Is it about him or about the Carlton Footy Club?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #26
Only one change this week.

IN: Fair dinkum effort
OUT: His brother... Lazy $hit effort

Reply #27
Only one change this week.

IN: Fair dinkum effort
OUT: His brother... Lazy $hit effort
x2
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #28
Thry, really?

Marc Murphy Stats

Whether you like him or not it's hard to call those stats for the last five years ordinary by any standard!

If you remove 2017 as the outlier that it has become,  would you be comfortable throwing big dollars at him as a free agent?

He's played five games with an injury that will dog him for the rest of his career.  Look at the period prior to 2013, and tell me he's anywhere near providing that for next season.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #29
If you remove 2017 as the outlier that it has become,  would you be comfortable throwing big dollars at him as a free agent?

He's played five games with an injury that will dog him for the rest of his career.  Look at the period prior to 2013, and tell me he's anywhere near providing that for next season.

I don't think a 5pt statistical shift is significant by any means, and I fully expect that if Murphy's mindset is correct modern sports medical technology is more than adequate to extend his career significantly. He could easily become our next Jarryd Waite given the right environment, why not still at Carlton!

Certainly I think if Daisy can return to some decent form from his ills, so can Murphy.

So for me it's not about ability or output, the differences there are barely worth a mention, they can even be written off as a change of role. The real debate about the likes of Murphy, Rowe and Simmo is more of a philosophical issue!
The Force Awakens!