Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 14; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 25035 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 14; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #30
I don't think a 5pt statistical shift is significant by any means, and I fully expect that if Murphy's mindset is correct modern sports medical technology is more than adequate to extend his career significantly. He could easily become our next Jarryd Waite given the right environment, why not still at Carlton!

Certainly I think if Daisy can return to some decent form from his ills, so can Murphy.

So for me it's not about ability or output, the differences there are barely worth a mention, they can even be written off as a change of role. The real debate about the likes of Murphy, Rowe and Simmo is more of a philosophical issue!

Would Daisy's form in 2018 get him a spot in any other AFL (senior) team?

I think not.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #31
Would Daisy's form in 2018 get him a spot in any other AFL (senior) team?

I think not.

It would certainly get him on a list somewhere not unlike Waite or Laidler.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
I don't think a 5pt statistical shift is significant by any means, and I fully expect that if Murphy's mindset is correct modern sports medical technology is more than adequate to extend his career significantly. He could easily become our next Jarryd Waite given the right environment, why not still at Carlton!

Certainly I think if Daisy can return to some decent form from his ills, so can Murphy.

So for me it's not about ability or output, the differences there are barely worth a mention, they can even be written off as a change of role. The real debate about the likes of Murphy, Rowe and Simmo is more of a philosophical issue!

I'm not talking statistics I'm talking ability to get on the Park and play a high standard of footy.

He's a chump change player.  He won't be hunted he'll be taken. 

I've stuck up for Murphy more than most on here and it's time to accept that he's yesterday's hero.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33
We need to apply Pressure this week starting from our fwd line  90 tackles   And is there any chance we get back and crowd there fwd line for a change

Reply #34
I'm not talking statistics I'm talking ability to get on the Park and play a high standard of footy.

He's a chump change player.  He won't be hunted he'll be taken. 

I've stuck up for Murphy more than most on here and it's time to accept that he's yesterday's hero.

http://www.afl.com.au/stats/player-ratings/overall-standings#club/CD_T30

Click on Murphy and look at his graph.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #36

Exactly my point.

Combine that with his age and injury profile and you wouldn't actively hunt this player unless you're a club like north Melbourne looking for a bargain pick-up you can sell to your supporters as a big name player.

I'm worried he'll never consistently perform at a high level ever again.

Paul Hewson

Reply #37

Click on Riloi's graph HERE

Murphy is miles ahead! ;D

All the systems have a inherent bias to certain types of player or on-filed act, which is why choosing any one system is so heavily floored. The AFL system plummets if a player is injured, they effectively lose points for not playing.

Despite the AFL ratings, Murphy is the only Carlton player listed consistently in the AFL's top 100 no matter who reports them and what rating system they use, and nobody would think he's more influential than Cyril Rioli!

Your friend junk time Eddie has them comfortably covered by the same measure!

The systems are biased, but not as biased as the people that pick and choose which one they want to report!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
Ok, it’s as I suspected, it’s a moving ranking for every game possible... Rioli has played 4 games for 39 disposals, but those disposals and thus rankings are spread over 12 matches, how many games has Murphy played this year ?
Obviously a better ranking is per match played.

Edit: Murphy 4 games 2018 and 104 disposals
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #39
Don't let any of this make you think I dislike Murphy.  I think he would help us immensely.

My worry is that he isn't able to because of where he is at, and where we are at in terms of needing a bigger stronger type rather than a smaller classier type who cannot physically help spread the load.  We need our kids to be helped by senior players and in Murphy's case it's more vice versa.

We all know the score.  Losing Gibbs hurt us in ways that losing Murphy doesn't because Gibbs is more multi faceted and although Murphy's a better player when he's up and running. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #40
Ok, it’s as I suspected, it’s a moving ranking for every game possible... Rioli has played 4 games for 39 disposals, but those disposals and thus rankings are spread over 12 matches, how many games has Murphy played this year ?
Obviously a better ranking is per match played.

Edit: Murphy 4 games 2018 and 104 disposals

Zero impact.
We need to stop obsessing over stats and look at impact n games and team mates.
He's our captain, highest paid player and supposedly best....

Reply #41
Zero impact.
We need to stop obsessing over stats and look at impact n games and team mates.
He's our captain, highest paid player and supposedly best....

If he makes everyone around him better then it's not always about what he does,  but this is also a factor in what I'm alluding to.  Free agents and recruits are all about star power.  Murphy isn't that player anymore.

Paul Hewson

Reply #42
We need to apply Pressure this week starting from our fwd line  90 tackles   And is there any chance we get back and crowd there fwd line for a change

Bring Pickett in for starters. MCG space, hard runner, can tackle up forward. Kennedy for Graham, Pickett for Lamb, De Koning for Kerridge (play Charlie in the mid field and De Koning up forward, Charlie can rest up forward)?

More grunt in the middle field, more pace in the forward line......get creative.