Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 22: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 11597 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 22: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #45
That's what made me laugh...even we arm chair warriors know it's a big step up from any level to senior AFL footy - let alone a mid season switch and coming off a hammy....

There were those who labelled him 'not up to it' after less than a handful of games. F...me.

The bloke is quick, hungry and keen to succeed.

Once he settles, his moments of over zealous decision making should settle. I reckon he'll be a 100 + gamer for us. And have more time ion the guts!

Yep...slow start but part of that was he was being ignored, made good position a lot of times but our blokes just didnt want to see him.
Had no doubt he would be handy player and that important goal he kicked showed he can handle the pressure, has good awareness and doesnt miss many targets
and like Gibbons is another moneyball state league winner.
Give him a preseason and he will improve even more..

Reply #46
Yep...slow start but part of that was he was being ignored, made good position a lot of times but our blokes just didnt want to see him.
Had no doubt he would be handy player and that important goal he kicked showed he can handle the pressure, has good awareness and doesnt miss many targets
and like Gibbons is another moneyball state league winner.
Give him a preseason and he will improve even more..

Totally agree with you K and FB. Gibbo and Deluca with a pre season under their respective belts will be much more than 'depth' players... no accident each is getting a gig in front of Polson.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #47
Wasn’t Plowman on Membrey?

That was one of his match ups and Membrey is like McGovern in playing a lot taller than his height.  Plowman also had Bruce when Kreuzer was off and Marshall stayed on, and we were outsized in defence from midway through the third quarter when Carlisle went forward.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #48
Anyone at the game.

Did Setterfield play back pocket on Stevens all day?

Reply #49
That was one of his match ups and Membrey is like McGovern in playing a lot taller than his height.  Plowman also had Bruce when Kreuzer was off and Marshall stayed on, and we were outsized in defence from midway through the third quarter when Carlisle went forward.

Yep, got lucky Membrey missed a couple he would normally kick, Plowman actually has 3cm on Membrey but the latter has a good vertical leap and gadget arms. Kicked 3 2. from 10 marks
and had 15 possies so I gave the points to Membrey but we didnt have our full crew in and Plowman probably got a player he wasnt suited to.
Carlisle is a useful player....useful as a step ladder for taking marks on but thats about all, thought McGovern played well and backed up his game from last week.
Saints fans and players were giving it to him the whole game to according to my Saints supporting inlaws who went to the game calling him fatty and the crape MCgovern brother so it was good to see him play well and stick it back at them....Saints have some of the worst feral supporters going around.

Reply #50
Yep, got lucky Membrey missed a couple he would normally kick, Plowman actually has 3cm on Membrey but the latter has a good vertical leap and gadget arms. Kicked 3 2. from 10 marks
and had 15 possies so I gave the points to Membrey but we didnt have our full crew in and Plowman probably got a player he wasnt suited to.
Carlisle is a useful player....useful as a step ladder for taking marks on but thats about all, thought McGovern played well and backed up his game from last week.
Saints fans and players were giving it to him the whole game to according to my Saints supporting inlaws who went to the game calling him fatty and the crape MCgovern brother so it was good to see him play well and stick it back at them....Saints have some of the worst feral supporters going around.

'Twas always thus unfortunately.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #51
Saints player knocked umpire q2 about 6.40 to go.. umpire almost went ao

Nothing to see I suppose ????
Or doesn't that rule apply to 17 teams ?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #52
Anyone at the game.

I was at the game....with 2 kids.....and at about the only time i saw setterfield was when he was running on/off the bench.

Based on that logic, he may have been tucked away in the back pocket.

It was always Simmo, Plowman and Daisy who were saving the day on the last line of defence on a fast break though.

Reply #53
Another recruit who fails to impress.

Reply #54
He hasn't done much since he got that standing ovation a few weeks back. He'll come good.

Reply #55

Coming off a knee recon and 19 games under his belt, I think he canbe cut some slack....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #56

Due to the lack of personnel in the backline, Setterfield was asked to play a role that was totally foreign to him.  He basically took Plowman’s place as a shutdown. As has been mentioned, 19 games in total, off a reco, he’ll be fine.

Reply #57
Anyone at the game.

Pretty much.  He did a few good things but lowered his colours a couple of times too.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #58
Setterfield keeps being played in different positions every week. None of them the role he'd have played as a junior. You have to take his up and down performances with a grain of salt.

Same goes for a lot of our younger players.

Reply #59

I thought that Setterfield played a useful game as a defender, a role that's very different to his usual place on the wing.  He didn't get a lot of the ball but featured in some crucial defensive plays.

I think he is another player who will benefit from getting through this season and will flourish after a full pre-season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball