Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2021 Rd 2: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 14026 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2021 Rd 2: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #60
Call it conditioning, call it frustration, I woke up this morning feeling that we are just not that good. Just to the left of me in the stands last night were:
Betts
Gov
Jack S
Matty C
Nick Newman
plus all the youngies
Would any of them have made a difference last night? Doubt it.

Last night Charlie makes a difference and TDK makes a difference.

Would a healthy Marchbank make a difference? I doubt he'd be tight or strong enough on DeGoey.

Would Newman make a difference if he were to replace Williamson, I'd say yes. A steadier head and a ground ball winner.

Could you put a McGovern down back and say man up DeGoey? Has the burst speed, jump and size, but does he have the mind set.

I'm with you we're not that good, our list is just middle of the road. I remember SOS saying it's easy to get a list to finish 8th, I call BS, cause we can't even make that.

Reply #61
I mentioned before the game that I was confident we had them covered, man for man. I also said I was concerned more about the battle between coaching boxes.

We were pretty soundly beaten in the coaching box. Just look at how they started the game - well prepared - came out fired up, ready for action, confident and bold. We were reactionary, much like our coaching at present. Much like our coaching last year.

As for my confidence with having them covered man for man, I didn't factor in:
Willo being a shadow of the bold, aggressive kid we saw a while back who'd take the game on.
Crippa playing without confidence and consequently dropping easy marks and fumbling too often.
Ed fumbling too often.
Murphy fumbling... though you couldn't question his effort and having some good moments (sound familiar? Sound like the entire side? We are becoming the Cameo Kings - we play some really pretty footy at times, brilliant stuff, teasing stuff).
Casboult clearly underdone, lacking confidence, 2nd guessing himself - a liability.
Setterfield a shadow of himself which is a pity because his hands and vision are an incredible asset.
Zachery looks much better around the ball/midfield than small forward.

Comments from coaching that our focus before the game was on our game - well, I was speechless hearing this. If I may indulge for a moment... one of the very first things I learned in the military is that when you're engaged in combat... KNOW YOUR ENEMY, and always expect their very best, then plan accordingly. To not do so spanks of arrogance, and invites trouble.

Boldness is needed at the selection table, where we've been too coy & conservative. We too often reward ordinary efforts or worse with games based on, I assume, reputation and prayer!

The TT and his coaching group look a little like Thomas The Tank Engine and crew at the present... in fact, we seem to have picked up from where we left off at the end of last year.

Let's see if we have what it takes to change course from Cameo Kings, pretty and nice to something resembling a smart, confident ruthless group who can crush an opposition, after addressing and dismantling their strengths, and this is up to the coaching group in no small way... it's called, preparation. The next few weeks will tell, because, if you look over there with his arm in the air you'll see Ross Lyon... wanting to help the club he barracked for (and still does, I am sure) as a kid.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #62
I was at the game (unfortunately).

We got smashed out of the guts from the get go.

My question, for those who saw the big picture - did Teague try and change anything to stop the bleeding?

To me, nothing changed.

And we were oh so predictable (and slow to move the ball forward).

Pies came to play, we didn't.

Some  'big name' players need to be playing in the magoos next weekend.

That effort last night was worse than unacceptable - and our leaders need to stand up and step up.

Has Cripps already gone (to WCE) mentally?

He's a shadow of his 2019 self.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #63
Yep,  messages need to be sent, the lack commitment to the contest/game, and repeat mistakes must be addressed immediately.

I don't know who is available but I'd be impressing upon Casboult,  Murphy,  Curnow, Docherty, Setterfield and Williamson (among others)  that's they aren't assured of a spot next week.

Surely it's time for Stocker, mad dog Matt and Kennedy to get a run?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #64
I think under these rules our biggest worries are our biggest players, Big H, Levi, Jones and Pittonet.

I understand Pittonet and Levi struggling, they aren't blessed with pace. Oddly, I though for their size the extra pace and run would have suited Jones and Big H, but the very opposite is occurring. Last night I though Mihocek, Roughead and Cox looked far better on the repeat efforts than our KPPs, Moore was at another level altogether!

I thought Weitering showed he is capable of the next level, he was all over the ground and looked as comfortable as can be expected. But he lacked support last night, the kid can't be everywhere and players like Jones and Plowman having Barry Crockers and fumbling around him can kill confidence. Plowman improved late, but too late, I think he's wasted on players his own size because he plays quite tall and is best when intercepting.

I can't say we've got any KPPs that are great in the one on one stuff at the moment, I feel under the new rules this is exactly what we and all teams need, because that contested one on one mark when you are under the pump is the circuit breaker. Instead we have midgets manhandling our monsters.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
I think under these rules our biggest worries are our biggest players, Big H, Levi, Jones and Pittonet.

I understand Pittonet and Levi struggling, they aren't blessed with pace. Oddly, I though for their size the extra pace and run would have suited Jones and Big H, but the very opposite is occurring. Last night I though Mihocek, Roughead and Cox looked far better on the repeat efforts than our KPPs, Moore was at another level altogether!

I thought Weitering showed he is capable of the next level, he was all over the ground and looked as comfortable as can be expected. But he lacked support last night, the kid can't be everywhere and players like Jones and Plowman having Barry Crockers and fumbling around him can kill confidence. Plowman improved late, but too late, I think he's wasted on players his own size because he plays quite tall and is best when intercepting.

I can't say we've got any KPPs that are great in the one on one stuff at the moment, I feel under the new rules this is exactly what we and all teams need, because that contested one on one mark when you are under the pump is the circuit breaker. Instead we have midgets manhandling our monsters.

Think you’re right LP

Pitt, Levi, Jones & Plow were badly exposed last night, but so too were all mids ex Walsh

Increasingly as the need to maintain and shift structure increases, those players with game sense/intelligence will be more important - Jones, Levi and to lesser extent Plow lack this.

Reply #66
We are trying to play a game style that is not sustainable for the entire game with constant fast play on. Towards the end of each quarter we get cheap goals against us that slowly add up. We then have to play catch up and spend all the petrol tickets getting back even early each period only for the better teams to skip away again in time on.
We need to tempo the game better when the opposition surges. We don’t seem to have any leaders or coaches that can initiate when to switch the game back a notch and catch our breath or slow the charge. I went to the Eagles v suns game last week WC sped out of the gate but then the suns slowed it down kept possession and stopped the haemorrhage and worked back into the game against a better team. We can’t do this and it’s cost us two games so far.

Reply #67
Pitt, Levi, Jones & Plow were badly exposed last night, but so too were all mids ex Walsh
I do wonder about the flow on, when you can deal with our bigger bodies using mediums and smalls, it makes it much tougher to get the right match ups for Walsh and Cripps, but I can't blame the talls for all the problems of Walsh and Cripps last night.

I made a comment pre-game, I said I would be surprised if Walsh could maintain the Rnd 1 level of output given he's still basically a kid, I wasn't surprised to find him struggling because I think even seasoned professionals will struggle under the new rules.

Clubs will need very very deep lists and be really well "managed" by the Match Committee to get through this season with those sort of game styles.

PS; I'm not confident that the bulk of AFL coaches will think independent enough to get their head around this, they tend to mostly be sheep.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
So glad I renewed the kids and my memberships during the week 🙄

Now THAT’S the definition of insanity.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #69
Watching the game on TV we did seem to chip the ball backwards and sideways from the backline quite often.
With the new stand rule going backwards should be a last resort or only if there's nothing else on offer.
From someone at the game do you think it was habit or not enough movement forward of the ball?

Reply #70
Watching the game on TV we did seem to chip the ball backwards and sideways from the backline quite often.
With the new stand rule going backwards should be a last resort or only if there's nothing else on offer.
From someone at the game do you think it was habit or not enough movement forward of the ball?
Pies well structured behind the ball and worked harder both ways and in the contest
Lots of kicking down the line
We lack courage (maybe ability) to take on the 45 degree kick to open the ground

Reply #71
New rules perhaps work against in&under types & taggers: Cripps, Setterfield & Curnow. Not great either for burst players who need regular bench time like Betts.

Reply #72
The umps played their role against us, as usual.

There was a moment, late in Q1, when our defence tackled their guy (no holding free), the Pie player tried to kick it and missed (no incorrect disposal free), the ball dribbled out and an easy goal to the Pies.

There were 3 or 4 moments like that which all went their way.

Big H could have had half a dozen frees for holding....alas.

That's not to excuse our deplorable work rate but it must play on their minds a bit......
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #73
You have to feel sorry for Plowman. He's our modern day Bret Thornton. Apart from injuries, he's been a mainstay in our defence since he got here. Another whipping boy he reminds me of is Zac Dawson.

Reply #74
You have to feel sorry for Plowman. He's our modern day Bret Thornton. Apart from injuries, he's been a mainstay in our defence since he got here. Another whipping boy he reminds me of is Zac Dawson.

But Paul he makes so many poor decisions
Better than Jones but still poor

Having said all of that there’s nobody better on our list that can play the role. What would we give for a Peter Dean or  Andy McKay?