Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pondering: AFL 2020 Rd 9: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 11817 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pondering: AFL 2020 Rd 9: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #60
It must take a certain level of class to go from 31 points ahead to a loss by 31 points in the end. Must be looking so much like a bottom 4 side now. The Eagles will help with that in the next game.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #61
I don’t recall every being so embarrassed and disgusted.

Try 31-Aug-2003 North Melbourne vs Carlton - we lost by 124 points with players openly arguing with each other on the field. North players were laughing at us (as were the fans).

Reply #62
that was pretty stanky fer sure.  i'm gonna say just the one positive thing.  even the best teams put out a stinker every so often.  that was certainly one of ours.  almost to a man.

i agree with TDK & Fisher coming in.

willo has looked shaky for a few weeks, but i'm pretty confident he'll get better, has lots of tools and always looks interested.

setterfield, kennedy, newnes, sps, cuningham all had their worst games of the year, sadly all on the same day.  slaughtered in the midfield.  crippa tried to break his form slump but botched it.

i just think the hawks wanted it more tonight.  anyone who says otherwise has a point, but i disagree.  they were stung as i mentioned pregame, and had an injection of 4 class players.  i saw this one coming.

Reply #63
Every game so far this round one side has been really flat and horrible to say the least.

Reply #64
It's the next day,  and so frustrated about this that sleeping has been impossible, I'm  posting embarassing gibberish and dragging this site down, so apologies to all..... Gotta go for a walk and take a break.  Going to ban myself for a while,  best wishes to you all in these uncertain times,  may we all come out stronger in the long run.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #65
I don’t think I said the loss was because of Moore.

My point was we are dumb. Fking dumb.

What team gives a second game to a bloke that was gifted a game last week and had one effective disposal.

All while TDKs form warrants selection.

Can’t make any sense of that selection.

Anyhow we saw tonight how far away we still are.
^^^^
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #66
It's the next day,  and so frustrated about this that sleeping has been impossible, I'm  posting embarassing gibberish and dragging this site down, so apologies to all..... Gotta go for a walk and take a break.  Going to ban myself for a while,  best wishes to you all in these uncertain times,  may we all come out stronger in the long run.
No need to apologise. We’re all in this together (the shared pain of being a Blues supporter, not COVID).
Those frauds spoilt my Friday pizza night. Again.
 “Gibberish” is a word I’d use to describe the last 3 quarters. Clarkson wrote the script on how to beat Carlton. I think Teague *is* developing his own playbook and style, but he’s yet to learn to tweak it to counteract particular strengths of other clubs. Hawks cut us up (as usual) with gut running & long passing. When they switched play on some occasions last night you could see 3 or 4 knackered blue boys out of position jogging across to try and catch their men.
As others have said, lack of on field leadership and the need for another elite mid remains our Achilles heel.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #67
Such is the impact Carlton has on its fans nowaday, brilliant one minutes, shambolic the next. Chin up ol boy, the sun came up today as it will tomorrow, don't stress over it, there are way more important things in life than a game of footy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #68
No need to apologise. We’re all in this together (the shared pain of being a Blues supporter, not COVID).
Those frauds spoilt my Friday pizza night. Again.
 “Gibberish” is a word I’d use to describe the last 3 quarters. Clarkson wrote the script on how to beat Carlton. I think Teague *is* developing his own playbook and style, but he’s yet to learn to tweak it to counteract particular strengths of other clubs. Hawks cut us up (as usual) with gut running & long passing. When they switched play on some occasions last night you could see 3 or 4 knackered blue boys out of position jogging across to try and catch their men.
As others have said, lack of on field leadership and remains our Achilles heel.
Makes it hard to provide leadership when the two captains were two of the offenders, Doc in particular got taken down town a few times by his man. As for Cripps trying to show boat and use that blistering speed and those dancing feet of his all the time, embarrassing. And dont gimme any of that "he's trying to do it all himself" rubbish. Real leadership is when you win the footy then bring others into the game by getting it out quick. Crippa will be right disappointed with his game last night.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #69
Try 31-Aug-2003 North Melbourne vs Carlton - we lost by 124 points with players openly arguing with each other on the field. North players were laughing at us (as were the fans).

Or R17, 2015 : Hawks 27.11 (173), Blues 4.11 (35). This was after John Barker had "unshackled" the players, and they certainly played with gay abandon.

Reply #70
Such is the impact Carlton has on its fans nowaday, brilliant one minutes, shambolic the next. Chin up ol boy, the sun came up today as it will tomorrow, don't stress over it, there are way more important things in life than a game of footy.

Yes, I agree. The improvement over the last 12 months is obvious for all to see. Hawks have several 3x, 4x premiership players, some good traded players, and Clarkson. They weren't going to be rubbish forever, and sooner or later were bound to show something.

Reply #71
For all their recent form woes, don’t forget that the Hawks have beaten the Tigers AND THE LIONS this year. Their ladder position is not a true reflection of the danger they posed.

Reply #72
Cripps hardly covered himself in glory last night.  I'm not quite sure who to blame the most but Teague is certainly in the picture.  Selecting Moore was a bloody stupid decision and if we trade SPS, you won't see me shedding a quiet tear.  That was a black day where we collapsed like a 2 dollar store umbrella in a rainstorm.

Reply #73
We're the club that has two speeds plus a once a year meeting with a 'Dishlishers' who we easily account for.

Speed one is a narrow loss or win. Speed two is being easily accounted for and as I mentioned, speed 3 is reserved for one game a year when we win comfortably... a la Dishlickers at the present moment. We could just as easily be sitting 2nd bottom with one win at present.

What exactly is our culture; our brand? Seems pretty mysterious to me. Something like, 'when things are going our way we finesse and look fantastic and kick goals... until our opponents turn up, apply pressure, then we go to water.' Seems when we're ferocious, we do well but that ferocity is very conditional and fluctuates and is entirely dependent upon what the opposition does... it's apparently a very moody ferocity.

Our conservatism at the selection table is telling and needs changing. I understand we want to send a message to blokes that we trust them and that they belong... but there should be another message, 'perform poorly and you're out, plenty of blokes/newbies who deserve a gig to take your place'.

When we were desperate against the Dawks how 'individual' did we play... holy mackerel, so many trying to be the 'saviour'... symptom of poor discipline and no culture/brand.

As for individuals... what the hec is up with Crippa? Doc troubled by attention and lack of freedom... there go the skippers. Cuningham does his usual invisible man stunt for extended periods and then gives us hope with a sublime goal, only to shrink away again. Murphy makes demoralising errors... and when a leader (?) does that the negative ripple effect is influential. What you see with SPS is what happens when a creative bloke is given a negative role.

I wonder if the coaching ranks need a Ross Lyon... someone who understands high levels of discipline and has a bit of shizen on his liver to pass on to others. Our niceness is a serious issue, and not in a good way.

We need to make some very hard decisions at year's end re personnel and assistant coaches.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #74
For all their recent form woes, don’t forget that the Hawks have beaten the Tigers AND THE LIONS this year. Their ladder position is not a true reflection of the danger they posed.

They were at the beginning of the year when the Tiggers and Lions hadn't gotten into stride. Bottom line is that yesterday we were beaten by an ordinary side in poor form. And just for consistency, the week before against the Kangabies we narrowly won against an ordinary side in poor form. No matter how you cut it, it was a poor performance, an undisciplined performance, a performance from a side that wilted badly under pressure. No excuses. We have issues, big issues.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17